• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Great Marker Debate: Best Metallic and Non Metallic Marker for Sigs

34 posts in this topic

I know when it comes to signing a comic on the cover I usually resort to using a black sharpie, but is the sharpie the best choice of marker? I also have to keep in mind, that the sig will be pressing against a piece of plastic and don't want it to rub off over time or fade/change color. How about in those dark areas where a dark sharpie won't cut it. I have thought about metallic sharpies, but my experience with the gold and silver sharpies has not been the best, fades, streaks, not legible and so on. Which brings the next question, best metallic marker to use on a comic cover, extra fine and fine tip, sharp/bold and will pop on the cover and won't fade over time? I have thought about using a decocolor paint pen, but the drying time and risk of smudging may not be worth the risk and I have heard of them flaking when inside a CGC slab.

decocolor (flake):

siegal%2Bpaint%2Bmarker.jpg

silver sharpie (not clear and streaky)

LongshotAdams-1.jpg

Those are the same ones I use for all G/S/B sigs.

Silver on black for reference

photo_zps20d9277b.jpg

Looks more like a paint pen that sig. How do you make sure you get a crisp sig? As mentioned in my initial post metallic sharpies are hit and miss, more on the miss side and I end up with streaky or non legible sigs. I want to guarantee a clean sig straight off the bat and not question if it will look like mess. I have started to explore other markers from Sakura and Pitt, but haven't tried them yet.

Go to your local art store and bring a drek book to experiment with. There's all sorts of black markers that dont bleed and metallic pens better than sharpies.

I wouldn't suggest extra-fine - too thin to see easily, and possibility of tearing the cover (yes that happened to my ASM#1). Probably regular tip sharpie - but keep a fresh supply for each Con.

Bronze metallic is awesome on dark or light covers.

So is Copper metallic, my second choice.

I like Blue on white - because black on white looks so hum-drum.

Red is also good, but it HAS to be fresh. I do wonder about fading though with red.

Black is okay on a lighter blue or red background.

Silver looks good on black (and only black IMO) but it HAS to be very new or else it's the worst.

I used to have a DoW #1 triple-sig with each sig in a different color - that looked pretty cool IMO.

W1_zpsg0awdkff.jpg

There was a thread in the SS room comparing various markers with pics of results. It's probably back around 2012 or 13. I don't have time to dig (on our way to a dinner) but if someone wants to look it's there somewhere.

I finally found the discussion from 2013. Consensus seems to be metallic sharpies. I assume since then new types of inks and markers have entered the market. As well, from what I have seen metallic sharpies tend to look their best when new and tested before hand and if the person using them doesn't press down hard, like Stan Lee, otherwise it is hit and miss.

Pens

The consensus in the autograph world is blue sharpie on all pictures, not black (it yellows over time) and posters and all sports related items they gravitate towards decocolor paint pens. In the comic world, most people I gather stay away from paint pens in case they leak, explode or don't dry in time and smear. Both hobbies approach the topic differently, as well their view on metallic sharpies. In the autograph world metallic sharpies are frowned upon and not looked on favourably (not bold, streak, blotchy and most importantly fade/disappear over time), but as we have read in both postings comic fans say the exact opposite about them.

Examples of different types of metallic markers

Examples of silver paint pens

I plan on using silver decocolor when I get my magazines, pictures and boxing gloves signed by Mike Tyson at FanExpo in a couple of weeks because I know they will have the time to dry and last (acid free and archival ink). It was deemed the best choice with that athlete over uni paint based on discussed with several collectible stores who deal in these type of signings.

I finally found the discussion from 2013. Consensus seems to be metallic sharpies. I assume since then new types of inks and markers have entered the market. As well, from what I have seen metallic sharpies tend to look their best when new and tested before hand and if the person using them doesn't press down hard, like Stan Lee, otherwise it is hit and miss.

Pens

That is it exactly. By the 2nd or 3rd show, I give them away and get new ones.

I still like the Pen Touch metallic markers, and haven't had any problems. They just need to be tested prior to use to make sure they're fresh, and they give great results. Just a few seconds of drying keep them from smearing.