• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bugs Bunny / Looney Tunes first appearances help
4 4

1,066 posts in this topic

35 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

I think we settled on Daffy Duck #27 as the best choice, with Looney Tunes #240 being on the stands a couple weeks later.

thanks, after news of him being cut from future projects want to make sure i had a copy

22 hours ago, williamblood said:

thanks, after news of him being cut from future projects want to make sure i had a copy

Hopefully you snagged the books, it looks like the few copies that were on the Bay of either issue have sold in the past few days.

People are trying to hype the Looney Tunes #240 as the first Pepe and other people are buying it.  I suppose it's not entirely unfair; the #240 is cover dated October while the Daffy is cover dated December (October-December in the indica) , so you need to get the on sale dates from the Library of Congress to know the Daffy was actually on the stands first.  The market may decide it prefers the #240; I'm happy to have both.  Anyway, behold the madness:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LOONEY-TUNES-240-1st-PEPE-LePEW-Dell-1961-VG-FN-Bugs-Bunny-Porky-Pig/193949205126

Here's the next question for people:  What's Pepe's first cover?  I think it's Bugs Bunny 88, the third Gold Key issue.  I've got a copy on the way, in any case.

As near as I can tell, there were only half a dozen stories with Pepe as the feature or co-feature before DC started the current Looney Tunes series in 1994. Daffy Duck #27; headlined as Daffy Duck and Pepe Le Pew.  Looney Tunes #240, headlined as Bugs Bunny and Pepe Le Pew.  Then four solo stories, the first three in Bugs Bunny 86-88 (the first three Gold Key giant issues) and one stray story in Bugs Bunny #138.

1 hour ago, OtherEric said:

People are trying to hype the Looney Tunes #240 as the first Pepe and other people are buying it.  I suppose it's not entirely unfair; the #240 is cover dated October while the Daffy is cover dated December (October-December in the indica) , so you need to get the on sale dates from the Library of Congress to know the Daffy was actually on the stands first.  The market may decide it prefers the #240; I'm happy to have both.  Anyway, behold the madness:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LOONEY-TUNES-240-1st-PEPE-LePEW-Dell-1961-VG-FN-Bugs-Bunny-Porky-Pig/193949205126

Here's the next question for people:  What's Pepe's first cover?  I think it's Bugs Bunny 88, the third Gold Key issue.  I've got a copy on the way, in any case.

As near as I can tell, there were only half a dozen stories with Pepe as the feature or co-feature before DC started the current Looney Tunes series in 1994. Daffy Duck #27; headlined as Daffy Duck and Pepe Le Pew.  Looney Tunes #240, headlined as Bugs Bunny and Pepe Le Pew.  Then four solo stories, the first three in Bugs Bunny 86-88 (the first three Gold Key giant issues) and one stray story in Bugs Bunny #138.

cause the stupid app told every one its #240. that thing makes so many mistakes

11 hours ago, OtherEric said:

I think you are right on BB #88 being his first cover (When i was compiling my list of ones to own -as i'm not a completist,) I wanted Early (LT 1-20, Four Color) classic cover worthy (subjective), !st appearances (interior and or cover wise), High Grade, Promotional and Holiday themed. Being as they both have the same cover date, both are worthy of collectibility (much like Hulk 180 and 181) for comparison, though having the same cover date isn't the issue with that first appearance debate. 

I have even been adding early issues from the current ongoing (1994-) that feature Pepe and Lola Bunny on the covers. Two characters that have been all over the press and social media timelines/feeds the last two weeks due to (now) controversial themes. 

Amazing! IP brand launched in the late 30's and still relevant. Marvel/Timely, DC and Disney. How many other character IP's can boast that? It's part of the reason i try and keep this Thread going. I realize the comics didn't have a Barks figure tied to them, but given the endurance and stature of the brand in overall pop culture the comics do deserve a second look. 

Needless to say the classic shorts are part of the fabric of my life. 

Lola Bunny debuted in the movie Space Jam, her first comic appearance was in the Space Jam adaptation tie in by DC Comics. The characters 'sexy' rendition is adored and idolized be many who hold the film in high regard (notably female cosplayers). 

@OtherEric The female bunny on Bugs Bunny #148 (Gold Key) predating Lola by many years sure looks like she could have been a source of inspiration for the characters design. Would you agree? 

Can't wait for the Space Jam sequel this summer !

26 minutes ago, sagii said:

The female bunny on Bugs Bunny #148 (Gold Key) predating Lola by many years sure looks like she could have been a source of inspiration for the characters design. Would you agree?

That's Honey Bunny, who first appeared in (and on the cover of) Bugs Bunny #108.  And I've always thought the character was a starting point (not necessarily the only one) for Lola.

5 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

That's Honey Bunny, who first appeared in (and on the cover of) Bugs Bunny #108.  And I've always thought the character was a starting point (not necessarily the only one) for Lola.

:gossip: Shhhhh

i don't have a high grade copy yet :D

I'm pretty sure if you wait a year you'll be able to pick these Pepe books up for much less. By then the hype (if that is what it is) will be gone. I feel bad for anyone running out and bidding up copies of "To think I saw it on Mulberry Street" or other such books. Other than really nice first editions those things have to be a dime a dozen!!

21 minutes ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

I'm pretty sure if you wait a year you'll be able to pick these Pepe books up for much less. By then the hype (if that is what it is) will be gone. I feel bad for anyone running out and bidding up copies of "To think I saw it on Mulberry Street" or other such books. Other than really nice first editions those things have to be a dime a dozen!!

Agreed on Seuss, but I think at least some of the Pepe books may hold at significantly higher prices than they were before the hype.  That’s more a function of just how totally ignored they were; they really should be broken out and they weren’t before.

13 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

Agreed on Seuss, but I think at least some of the Pepe books may hold at significantly higher prices than they were before the hype.  That’s more a function of just how totally ignored they were; they really should be broken out and they weren’t before.

couldnt agree more, alot of old cartoon characters seems almost forgot to collectors, i should not be able to pick up 1st app of yogi bear for 4-5 dollars. 

Edited by williamblood

39 minutes ago, williamblood said:

couldnt agree more, alot of old cartoon characters seems almost forgot to collectors, i should not be able to pick up 1st app of yogi bear for 4-5 dollars. 

Some of those late Dells and early Gold Keys are great books and I have benefited by them being forgotten by collectors for years. I love picking up beautiful copies for under $10 and getting to read them to boot!

1 hour ago, williamblood said:

asked him what proof he has to pick 240 over daffy 27, since we have newsstand date, this is his response

image.png.43f4450df74d082ceb2938890559cc05.png

That’s 100%, unequivocally wrong.  The cover date is the date the book should go off sale, and is generally the date the next book goes on sale.  Then you have the legendary on sale date creep of comics, which accounts for the extra month.  December as a cover date for a quarterly corresponds EXACTLY to October for a monthly.

The rant is directed 100% at kecolletor, not you, @williamblood.  Thank you for relaying the message.

1 hour ago, OtherEric said:

That’s 100%, unequivocally wrong.  The cover date is the date the book should go off sale, and is generally the date the next book goes on sale.  Then you have the legendary on sale date creep of comics, which accounts for the extra month.  December as a cover date for a quarterly corresponds EXACTLY to October for a monthly.

The rant is directed 100% at kecolletor, not you, @williamblood.  Thank you for relaying the message.

i completely agree with you. he gets things wrong so often, more than likely he just did a search on ebay for "1st pepe" and sent out an alert on what he saw. when you google pepe le pew cgc this thread is first thing to show

7 minutes ago, IngelsFan said:

I’ve tried finding out the first story and first cover for the Tasmanian Devil and the net has been no help. Anyone know offhand which issues he first showed up in?

I think the earliest ones are the one shot 'Tasmanian Devil and his Tasty Friends' ("63) and the fore mentioned Bugs Bunny #88 from the same year.

At least cover wise

Regret missing out on the last high grade copy of TMDAHTF that Heritage auctioned off a little ways back. 

25 minutes ago, sagii said:

I think the earliest ones are the one shot 'Tasmanian Devil and his Tasty Friends' ("63) and the fore mentioned Bugs Bunny #88 from the same year.

At least cover wise

Regret missing out on the last high grade copy of TMDAHTF that Heritage auctioned off a little ways back. 

Awesome-thanks for the info! I just checked that sale-it went for a pretty penny.