• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bugs Bunny / Looney Tunes first appearances help
4 4

1,066 posts in this topic

I remember reading a discussion about the Halloween giants on the Boards (and the fact that there were not any Disney editions). Intriguing stuff. This mine. Metro said it's a 9.4. Really a book i'd like to get slabbed.

Bugs Bunny's Trick 'N' Treat Halloween Fun #3.jpg

14 hours ago, sagii said:

I remember reading a discussion about the Halloween giants on the Boards (and the fact that there were not any Disney editions). Intriguing stuff. This mine. Metro said it's a 9.4. Really a book i'd like to get slabbed.

That is a beauty of a book! 

One thing that comes to mind on the Halloween issues is they may just have had a very short window when they were current relative to the Vacation and Christmas issues.  Vacation is good for all summer, and Christmas seems to have come out quite early going by the dates, as people went shopping for stocking stuffers I presume.  (As my posting shows, by date it was only a month after Halloween that it was released.)  Halloween is pretty much over Nov. 1st; and even in my lifetime the 'window' for when Halloween stuff is out for sale has expanded enormously... I don't see it getting much love before October back then.

As mentioned, here's Christmas Funnies 4 (same month as the 145) and 146:

LT_145g.jpg

LT_146.jpg

On March 30, 2017 at 10:16 AM, sagii said:

Books like this one are just dreamy! :luhv: 

14 hours ago, thirdgreenham said:

I've enjoyed reading/browsing this thread. (thumbsu 

Glad to hear it, I'm having fun posting books here!

Now where were we before the fresh batch derailed me a day...  Oh, yes.

156 and Halloween Parade 2, from the same month.  I love the painted Halloween covers...

LT_156.jpg

LT_156g.jpg

162 and 163.  The 163 is the first issue of Looney Tunes I ever got, and in fact the first 10 cent book I ever got.  I may even have gotten it before I ever got a 12 cent book, making it the first book published before I was born that I ever owned.  Whatever the case, it was gotten VERY early in my collecting days.  I traded for it from a friend who had gotten a small collection of old books from his uncle; it was only 50 or so books but it had some gems, including the 163 and a Bugs Bunny 77 I traded from him at the same time.  (I can't remember what I traded TO him, but they were newer books).  Stuff I wasn't able to get from him included a Green Lama 6 and some Strange Adventures with Deadman; although I did get to read the books.  Even though I had discovered comic shops existed at that point, there wasn't a lot of 50's or earlier material to be had at the ones I had been to, and what they did have was way out of my junior high allowance budget.  I don't think getting the 163 was as influential on me in the long run as getting the 48 a few months later was.  Trading books with somebody who had gotten them from a family member was a one-off bit of luck, not me learning I actually could try to collect these things.  But still, actually owning a 10 cent comic?  That blew my mind, and I can still remember how it felt.  That day, that book had all the heft I now get from holding a book like Mad #1 or FC #178 or Animal Comics #1 in my hand.  Not the history of a specific book like those other three; but the history of all comics, that I finally had a connection to.

LT_162.jpg

LT_163.jpg

16 hours ago, OtherEric said:

162 and 163.  The 163 is the first issue of Looney Tunes I ever got, and in fact the first 10 cent book I ever got.  I may even have gotten it before I ever got a 12 cent book, making it the first book published before I was born that I ever owned.  Whatever the case, it was gotten VERY early in my collecting days.  I traded for it from a friend who had gotten a small collection of old books from his uncle; it was only 50 or so books but it had some gems, including the 163 and a Bugs Bunny 77 I traded from him at the same time.  (I can't remember what I traded TO him, but they were newer books).  Stuff I wasn't able to get from him included a Green Lama 6 and some Strange Adventures with Deadman; although I did get to read the books.  Even though I had discovered comic shops existed at that point, there wasn't a lot of 50's or earlier material to be had at the ones I had been to, and what they did have was way out of my junior high allowance budget.  I don't think getting the 163 was as influential on me in the long run as getting the 48 a few months later was.  Trading books with somebody who had gotten them from a family member was a one-off bit of luck, not me learning I actually could try to collect these things.  But still, actually owning a 10 cent comic?  That blew my mind, and I can still remember how it felt.  That day, that book had all the heft I now get from holding a book like Mad #1 or FC #178 or Animal Comics #1 in my hand.  Not the history of a specific book like those other three; but the history of all comics, that I finally had a connection to.

LT_162.jpg

LT_163.jpg

Bang up job Eric! Love the back stories too :applause: