Canadian/Foreign Collectors: has the dollar got you down?

12 posts in this topic

3,687 posts

I know there are a few GA collectors up here in Canada on these boards, as well as a good representation of foreign collectors.

With the Canadian dollar tanking (and other currencies apparently not doing too hot), I am curious if the poor exchange rate has put a huge damper on you buyers OUTSIDE of the USA? The addition of foreign shipping does not help matters, nor does the fact that pre-1941GA books seem to be hotter than ever.

That being said, its a great time to sell. Especially if you bought when the dollar was better.

Feel free to rant, post books you have bought/sold, etc.

3,687 posts

I have picked up a few pulps lately ... the pulp market has cooled, and prices seem more or less where they were at ten years ago.

_57%20copy_zpsoemfnlzk.jpg

19,984 posts

It‘s not that bad, as it allows me to have more reasonable shipping prices when I sell.

But I do have to stop buying and start selling something… lol

Love that Dr. Death… I would love to have the Marvel Stories pulp with the Human Torch page some day… :)

2,442 posts

As a Canuck, Selling in US dollars rocks :banana:

3,687 posts
As a Canuck, Selling in US dollars rocks :banana:

Agreed! I only wish I had more I was willing to part with at this time.

5,784 posts

Yes! I lost 40% of my buying power over the past 12 months or so. I haven't bought a book in two months.

Thanks for reminding me. :sorry:

11,087 posts

More :tonofbricks: price resistance adding 30-33% exchange rate to quality back issue retail prices at the local Canadian comicon. Great to slab and then consign to Comic Connect, ComicLink, etc. in the USA for greenbacks. :applause:

3,849 posts

I have pretty much stopped buying anything other than hard to find books/art I really want for my collections. For those I have to jump on them when they appear, but other than that I'll just wait. A piece of OA just sold on Heritage for less than what I would have bid when the C$ was at par, but adding 30% took it out of my comfort range.

Mike

3,687 posts
More :tonofbricks: price resistance adding 30-33% exchange rate to quality back issue retail prices at the local Canadian comicon. Great to slab and then consign to Comic Connect, ComicLink, etc. in the USA for greenbacks. :applause:

Smart man!

3,687 posts
I have pretty much stopped buying anything other than hard to find books/art I really want for my collections. For those I have to jump on them when they appear, but other than that I'll just wait. A piece of OA just sold on Heritage for less than what I would have bid when the C$ was at par, but adding 30% took it out of my comfort range.

Mike

Same here... holding out for lower grade copies of books that are on the short list. Impulse buying days are gone for now!

19,522 posts

Mike

Same here... holding out for lower grade copies of books that are on the short list. Impulse buying days are gone for now!

You are not alone there. I always seem to buy when the dollar is high and sell when it is low. :cry:

Impulse control much?