• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guy on YouTube claims you don't need mylar bags

20 posts in this topic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRU81wZoOoE

Around the YouTube Comic Community, this video has been sparking a lot of controversy. The man claims standard poly bags will last years longer than recommended if you "take proper care of them."

His rationale behind it is that there are people who can't afford the mylars and should learn how to make due with poly bags. Fair enough I suppose. His argument crumbles though when he insists using that same logic for collectors with higher priced books.

Someone said key issues should be stored in mylars and he replied with "And that is a great opinion to have. All I am saying is that people should not spend all their money on bags that may not be as necessary as they make you think. I had my New Mutants 98 in the same bag since 1992, read it like 20 times and it came back a 9.0. But putting in mylar is absolutely great if you have the cash... :). Thank you for taking the time to share your opinion on this topic"

People on YouTube claim a lot of crazy things. Pretty sure I saw someone claim to be the God King of pluto once.

For the record, I am the God King of Pluto, so of course I knew he was lying.

I guess in the right climate controlled situation 10-20 years would be ok in regular bags. I had comics from when I was 7 in my moms basement and when I went back to get them 15 years later they had no issues and they were in regular bags. Basement had a humidifier and was always cool. Comics in there boxes. But for a high value book I would never chance it.

Around the YouTube Comic Community, this video has been sparking a lot of controversy. The man claims standard poly bags will last years longer than recommended if you "take proper care of them."

His rationale behind it is that there are people who can't afford the mylars and should learn how to make due with poly bags. Fair enough I suppose. His argument crumbles though when he insists using that same logic for collectors with higher priced books.

Someone said key issues should be stored in mylars and he replied with "And that is a great opinion to have. All I am saying is that people should not spend all their money on bags that may not be as necessary as they make you think. I had my New Mutants 98 in the same bag since 1992, read it like 20 times and it came back a 9.0. But putting in mylar is absolutely great if you have the cash... :). Thank you for taking the time to share your opinion on this topic"

Sure, the bags will last, no doubt. The comic in them will deteriorate more than if stored in Mylar. This has been proven over and over.

So, without getting into the philosophical question of "need", he's what is known as wrong.

In terms of page quality I think it might be true depending on what climate you are storing your comics. Mylars are much more rigid and durable than regular bags however. Add a fullback to that and it would 10x more difficult to damage your comic. I think the price difference is worth it in this regard.

Isn't there some woman on youtube who says you shouldn't use any type of bag at all? Lots of people have opinions.

Well she is right of course. If you plan to leave them in neat stacks, and keep them in a cool, dry, place.

Edgar Church, Lamont Larson, Recil Macon, etc. all stored their comics raw in stacks. They survived quite well

Since when are mylar bags expensive? They are cheaper than that triple-vente-pumpkin-spiced-light-whipped-no-cream-can't-remember-what-my-wife-orders-at-starbucks-coffee. Mylars are good money, well spent. Especially if the book is worth more than a couple bucks.

Jerome

Funny thing was he was preaching the opposite on this video....

Isn't there some woman on youtube who says you shouldn't use any type of bag at all? Lots of people have opinions.

Under the right storage conditions, you don't need bags at all.

Kinda amazing that all those pedigree collections survived in high grade at a time when there were no bags, not to mention no mylar or poly bags. What? No bags?? How did they survive??

Cool and dark with dry air does wonders for paper, bags or not

Seen too many polypro bags that were yellowed and essentially glued together to think that supplies don't matter.

I agree. Climate also is a major factor as well. They boards that take image from the back of the comics are another one that makes me cringe when I see them. You know that book been cooking for awhile.