• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

any advice on color touch ?

9 posts in this topic

So...learned a lot this year about grading, restoration and the devious nature of sellers on ebay . I bought an AMS 11 raw about 9 years ago on ebay in what appeared to be vf+/nm. Forgot what I paid , but guessing it was too much. Anyway, didn't understand grading back then and didn't even think books were "restored". Ignorant..I know. This year I went through all my books and noticed my beautiful cover had bleeding on the inside of it's cover.

my question...since I'm still learning...can the color touch be removed ? Is this book worth having a blue label slab even if it drops to a much lower grade or is the high grade restored label the way to go ? It's still raw. I'm worried that if that kind'v work was done, who knows what else was done. In terms of resale down the road (15 years or so)...is it cost effective to have coloring removed (if possible) or am I opening pandora's box with what may need to be done to get it to blue label (meaning I should just take the restored label and move on) ?

Really depends on the extent of the CT. The only way to remove it is to have someone who knows what he's doing scrape it off. If it's only a small amount, It might be worth doing. If there's an extensive amount, then unfortunately, you are stuck.

Really depends on the extent of the CT. The only way to remove it is to have someone who knows what he's doing scrape it off. If it's only a small amount, It might be worth doing. If there's an extensive amount, then unfortunately, you are stuck.

If there's bleed through, and he said he saw bleed through, it can't be scraped off, it would have to be torn off. It's happened to most of us, especially with books purchased years ago, so feeling your pain I think there is nothing that can be done.

it's all good..thank you for the advice. I figured you guys would know the best approach and I think it's straight forward...get it graded as restored and keep it because it's such a pretty book. At least I'll know where I stand once it's looked over by CGC . I was half hoping you'd all say it's easy to remove color touch but it sounds like there's too much and it wasn't done professionally so it's impossible. ...no worries.. Enjoy the week...

If there's bleed through, and he said he saw bleed through, it can't be scraped off, it would have to be torn off. It's happened to most of us, especially with books purchased years ago, so feeling your pain I think there is nothing that can be done.

Yep, right you are.