• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Kevin Feige disbands Marvel's CREATIVE COMMITTEE
1 1

141 posts in this topic

I wish someone killed Age of Ultron.

Was it that bad?

Yes.

Absolutely not. Tupenny is probably the most pessimistic poster in the forum.

That trickster! I'm still going to see it when it comes out.

:sumo:

That's probably Perlmutter trying to prove a point.

(:

Does Ike Perlmutter Have a Secret That Would Shut Down Bleeding Cool if Revealed?!

Johnston once claimed to have a secret about a high level Big Two executive, "worse than Jimmy Saville" (a British TV star who molested hundreds of children), that would force a major publisher to shut down if revealed. The Outhouse has long theorized that Perlmutter, a notoriously private and controversial individual, and about as high level an executive at Marvel as one can get, is the subject of Johnston's big secret. And with Johnston now acting as Perlmutter's biggest fan, there's only one logical conclusion we can come to: Perlmutter learned of Johnston's secret and has found a secret of his own that would force Bleeding Cool to shut down if revealed, gaining the upper hand and forcing Johnston into servitude with some of his own medicine.

Now, the tables are turned, and Johnston must write articles sucking up to Perlmutter and attacking his enemies, such as Feige. We feel for you, Uncle Rich. This is a :censored: situation to be in, and no way for a respected journalist to be forced to behave. Let us know if we can help you out in any way.

I forgot this was the writer that said he had a secret on a major Big Two executive that would destroy that company.

Rich Johnston Keeping Secret That Could Shut Down Marvel or DC (Worse Than Pedophilia)

Russos Reveal How Marvel Creative Committee Shake-Up Impacts CIVIL WAR and INFINITY WAR

“To the audience, I don’t know if they’ll see a difference in the quality of the movies,” assured Joe Russo. “That’s for sure because Kevin Feige is still the brains behind Marvel, and that hasn’t changed. I just think, from a political standpoint, the machinations of the studio have become more streamlined. Does that make for a better creative storytelling? Yes, absolutely because it’s easier for my brother and I to sit in a room with Kevin and discuss storytelling, and to come to creative decisions, and move through those decisions much quicker.” As to whether the efficiency will improve the quality, Joe says, “We’ll see how people respond to Captain America: Civil War.”

When asked about rumors that the Marvel Creative Committee has restricted directors’ visions, which reportedly made Edgar Wright leave Ant-Man, the Russos suggested that that hasn’t been the case for them and wouldn’t be the case even if the group’s influence hadn’t changed recently. “Just to speak to our experience on Captain America: The Winter Soldier, we didn’t have a whole lot of interaction with the committee,” admitted Anthony Russo. “So, for us on a personal level, I don’t know if it will be that different because we’ve never engaged with them that much anyway. Maybe other directors have had a different experience, but for us, we had a very limited interaction with the committee. We deal with Kevin Feige and Marvel Studios. That’s how we made Captain America: The Winter Soldier and that’s how we made Captain America: Civil War. For us it’s a very similar process.” Joe Russo then echoed his brother, adding that, “We had a very streamlined experience. For us, working with Marvel has been as easy as any work experience we’ve ever had in our careers. They’re a very efficient and very bright collection of people, extremely creative, and they know their material. Again, we probably couldn’t speak to this stuff as much as other people could regarding the politics of it, but just know that we still feel the storytelling is very strong and we’re very happy with where Civil War is.”

Comicbookmovie.com published an article today that captures why this action may have been required to send a signal to creative leads and actors about Marvel Studios.

6 Shocking Behind The Scenes Stories You Never Knew About MARVEL STUDIOS

6. A Near Falling Out With Robert Downey Jr.

When Marvel decided to adapt Civil War with Captain America 3, it became necessary to renegotiate Robert Downey, Jr.'s pricey contract. Though Marvel had originally only wanted the actor for a small role which would have required just three weeks of his time, Disney pushed for more. The prospect of a bigger payday for the actor incensed frugal Marvel CEO Ike Perlmutter, who ordered the screenwriters to write Iron Man out of the -script.

It was then down to Kevin Feige to smooth things over with his boss, providing him with an idea of a bigger picture and the kind of doors that adapting Civil War would open. The deal at one point appeared to be dead, and it looked like Marvel and Robert Downey, Jr. could be on the outs. Feige however salvaged things and came up with an arrangement which made everyone happy.

As a result, Downey, Jr. will collect around $40 million for starring in Captain America: Civil War, as well as box office backend and an additional bonus if the movie ends up outperforming the $714 million earned by Captain America: The Winter Soldier. It's now easy to see why Kevin fell out with Ike, right?

5. Extreme Cost Cutting Measures

While they may have started out above a Mercedes dealership, you would think that Marvel's box office success would change just how careful they are with money, right? There are a lot of stories about how Perlmutter cuts costs, and when Marvel moved to the Disney lot in Burbank, it's been reported that the CEO declined to upgrade the company's worn furniture.

It's even been claimed that he's taken umbrage with reporters being given more than one can of drink at junkets, and while this might sound silly on the surface, it could also be argued that these are the decisions of a smart man good at making money. Those multi-picture deals are also a way of cutting costs, and Marvel has been known to pay actors very little for their first appearances in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. At one point, Robert Downey, Jr. actually had to step up and campaign for his co-stars to get pay increases. On the TV side things aren't much different; actors are signed up for seven years and possible movie appearances.

However, it seems that Feige ultimately had a gutsful of these frugal way, hence why Marvel Studio now reports directly to Disney instead.

3. War Machine Controversy

While he may remain strictly behind the scenes, Perlmutter has still been involved in a fair share of controversy with some of the decisions he's made over the years. For example, after paying him a whopping $5 million for Iron Man, it was the Marvel CEO who decided that if he was unwilling to take a pay decrease, Terrence Howard would be replaced.

That's exactly what happened, but Perlmutter has been alleged to have told colleagues that no one would notice the change because both actors are black. This has been strongly denied by Marvel and probably isn't true, but it does at least in some ways demonstrate just how ruthless a force the CEO is. Controversial it may be, but it's a business model they made work for a long time despite the odd bit of bad press which fallout like this creates.

Since it was Terrence Howard who supposedly recommended Robert Downey Jr. for the role, and then went from a $4.5 MM first movie deal to an offer of $1 MM to do Iron Man 2, that had to hurt.

whoever got rid of Howard made a big mistake. He was perfect as Rhodey imo.

Not sold yet on disbanding the team. I don't care how knowledgable you are putting together a film version of the marvel universe is a big task. I am concerned that the big picture might suffer in the long run from it being just one mans vision.

Its critical the movies try to remain true to the marvel universe as the first gen films did. I think these films changed the superhero formula in movies by not disrespecting the source material like other studios did. I just think in previous efforts studios were often dismissive of many elements of the heroes as they believed this or that might look okay in a comic book but won't work in the movies.

It just came across to me that marvel really loved its heroes, believed in them, their supporting cast, and the universe around them. Effort was being taken to make the parts fit smoothly with the big picture in mind not just a cash grab with the idea that the run will be spent in a trilogy so grab what you can and get out.

Not sold yet on disbanding the team. I don't care how knowledgable you are putting together a film version of the marvel universe is a big task. I am concerned that the big picture might suffer in the long run from it being just one mans vision.

Its critical the movies try to remain true to the marvel universe as the first gen films did. I think these films changed the superhero formula in movies by not disrespecting the source material like other studios did. I just think in previous efforts studios were often dismissive of many elements of the heroes as they believed this or that might look okay in a comic book but won't work in the movies.

It just came across to me that marvel really loved its heroes, believed in them, their supporting cast, and the universe around them. Effort was being taken to make the parts fit smoothly with the big picture in mind not just a cash grab with the idea that the run will be spent in a trilogy so grab what you can and get out.

how have they respected the material?

Stark is the creator of all tech

Hawkeye has a family

Mutants don't exist, They are Inhumans

What's worse is that the movies have changed the comics :doh:

how have they respected the material?

Stark is the creator of all tech

Hawkeye has a family

Mutants don't exist, They are Inhumans

What's worse is that the movies have changed the comics :doh:

I'm not saying its perfect. I think a good example of other studios disrespect is taking doctor doom and giving him weird super powers because they weren't willing or didn't think portraying him as he was in the comics was viable. I would be shocked if marvel did that. On the flip side Look at Asgard and the whole first Thor movie, I find it hard to believe another studio would attempt that let alone succeed. I thought it was a big leap of faith in their characters.

The tech issue may be somewhat contractual in nature. Hard to believe they wouldn't be giving Reed Richards his due as a scientific and tech genius.

The mutant issue is purely contractual someone else owns the right to the word mutant at this time.

I am willing to admit not being a big hawkeye fan I am not aware why him having a family is such a big departure from the character. I read the hawkeye limted series like 30 years ago but i'll be darned if I can remember a word of it.

Your concerns would be slightly justified when I read the #1 item that showed there was a fracture amongst the MCC. And what caused the fracture between Marvel and Fox.

1. A Failed Deal With 20th Century Fox

Daredevil has been a massive hit for Marvel after debuting on Netflix, but it seems like the character was never a priority for Kevin Feige. After all, he handed him off to Marvel Television when they regained the rights, despite Joss Whedon insisting that the Man Without Fear be given his own movie. Feige even admitted to having not had time to watch the entire series during the press tour for Avengers: Age Of Ultron, showing what a limited creative role he likely had in it.

In fact, when Fox came close to rebooting Daredevil with Joe Carnahan (The Grey) with only months to go before the rights would return to Marvel, Feige is reported to have offered them a deal. They would allow the studio the extra time they needed to get the 1970s set reboot into production in exchange for the rights to Fantastic Four characters Galactus and Silver Surfer. Sensing that they were probably being played, Fox refused to make the deal.

It is however hard to not wonder just how different both Guardians And The Galaxy and Avengers: Infinity War would have been with those two icons in Marvel and Feige's hands.

Now I get why Feige was a little clueless on Elektra's rights being returned in 2014 or not. He wasn't focused on the Daredevil Universe.

Your concerns would be slightly justified when I read the #1 item that showed there was a fracture amongst the MCC. And what caused the fracture between Marvel and Fox.

Daredevil has been a massive hit for Marvel after debuting on Netflix, but it seems like the character was never a priority for Kevin Feige. After all, he handed him off to Marvel Television when they regained the rights, despite Joss Whedon insisting that the Man Without Fear be given his own movie. Feige even admitted to having not had time to watch the entire series during the press tour for Avengers: Age Of Ultron, showing what a limited creative role he likely had in it.

In fact, when Fox came close to rebooting Daredevil with Joe Carnahan (The Grey) with only months to go before the rights would return to Marvel, Feige is reported to have offered them a deal. They would allow the studio the extra time they needed to get the 1970s set reboot into production in exchange for the rights to Fantastic Four characters Galactus and Silver Surfer. Sensing that they were probably being played, Fox refused to make the deal.

It is however hard to not wonder just how different both Guardians And The Galaxy and Avengers: Infinity War would have been with those two icons in Marvel and Feige's hands.

Now I get why Feige was a little clueless on Elektra's rights being returned in 2014 or not. He wasn't focused on the Daredevil Universe.

Well lets just say I am more concerned about the universe being handed over to 1 man's vision than I am about disbanding the team. Would rather see another team formed than just have one guy run the show. My opinion is it's just too big and things well ineviably be mishandled this way.

At least Feige tried to get back the FF. Reaquiring the rights to the FF should be top priority especially given the x-men are a lost cause for the immediate future as their movies are still profitable. The early FF was the cornerstone of the marvel age. Clever and strategic use of this team should be a very solid contribution to the cinematic universe as I think they can be portrayed quite differently from the avengers and add a nice touch of diversity to the action. Doom alone would be reason for celebration.

It's certainly understandable why Kevin Feige was tepid about the Daredevil franchise given Batfleck's lackluster Daredevil film (one of the worst of the pre-Marvel Studio licensed efforts). Rebooting for TV through Netflix made all the difference. In retrospect, Joss Whedon was probably right about rebooting another Daredevil film.

Who knows, Kevin Feige may take another look at Daredevil. After all, he's only recently taken the reins over Marvel Productions without being tethered to Ike's Committee. Before that he had to deal with micro-managing on a level that almost scotched several of their best projects through tight-fisted financial decisions he had to get overridden by Disney. As a result of the Committee's questionable judgment directors became frustrated with Marvel Studios and walked, well liked actors in popular secondary roles were unceremoniously replaced as a cost saving measure and toy marketing was geared only toward male superheroes.

Kevin has a lot more on his plate now, but he answers directly to Disney. If Civil War and Dr. Strange hit their respective targets he'll be in a stronger position than ever. :wishluck:

Comicbookmovie.com published an article today that captures why this action may have been required to send a signal to creative leads and actors about Marvel Studios.

6 Shocking Behind The Scenes Stories You Never Knew About MARVEL STUDIOS

I had no idea Feige and Avi Arad didn't like each other since it was Arad who liked Feige enough to make him producer on all of the films. Wonder what caused their feud?

At least Feige tried to get back the FF. Reaquiring the rights to the FF should be top priority especially given the x-men are a lost cause for the immediate future as their movies are still profitable.

I still want to know why Feige didn't trade the X-Men television rights for the FF movie rights. That sounds like a win-win for Fox given that they've proven repeatedly they can't do anything with FF.

So what DID Marvel get for those X-Men television rights? :taptaptap: I haven't heard of anything at all yet. ???