• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

do boards work better in the center or the back?

15 posts in this topic

I do it for non-squarebound books that I put in mylars. I do it just so I can see the front and back covers. Plus, it prevents colour from rubbing off from the back cover onto the board.

Plus, it prevents colour from rubbing off from the back cover onto the board.

To avoid that, put the book in a mylite before you put it in, with a board, into a mylar.

Don't have time for that. Plus, what I've been has worked fine for me so confused-smiley-013.gif

I've heard that if you use a backing board such as bce's life x-tender (which has a thin layer of charcoal between two backing boards) and put it in the middle of the comic, it helps extend the life of the comic by absorbing acids as they are released from the paper.

But, it also makes me wonder, if you put the board in the middle of the comic, do you risk damaging the spine more easily?

Up until now, I have always put the backing boards behind the comics. Makes me wonder if I should start putting them in the middle now. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I have to say that the books that I have seen with the board in the middle usually suffer creasing on the bottom corners and spine depressions throughout. The board is basically supposed to cover the whole back and if you put it in the middle, its much easier for the book to slide down and be damaged.

I've recently noticed a few e-bay sellers place the boards in the centerfold of the comic,rather than the back. Is this common amongst forumites? If you do,why?

I think it is an affectation stemming from a lack of understanding and experience.

Recently bought some dollar books and they were bagged and boarded with the board in the middle of the book, instead of in the back in the bag. The book did feel more stable this way, but it leaves the spine corners exposed to dings. 

So, I left the board in the middle, but rebagged it with a board in the back too... I was very pleased with the result. The books are very sturdy, and stack level . 

Was thinking of doing this to all my bronze age books and keys. Any reason not to do this? Someone mentioned that they feel this would increase the probability of spine ticks. I'm not sure how, as inserting a board into the book reinforces the spine. They place boards in the center during pressing for that very reason.