• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Garth Ennis The Boys/The Preacher

32 posts in this topic

I'm looking at Crossed volume one on ebay, it looks nasty good! Is volume one the only one written by Ennis? Also, is it a self contained story or am I going to go out and buy volume 2 after I read this volume? I think I will give it a try......

Ennis has also written a few (I believe three) arcs in the ongoing Crossed: Badlands series. I don't think they're bad, but I really don't remember much about them (didn't leave much of an impression on me). The original Ennis Crossed miniseries is the best of Crossed, IMO.

I'm looking at Crossed volume one on ebay, it looks nasty good! Is volume one the only one written by Ennis? Also, is it a self contained story or am I going to go out and buy volume 2 after I read this volume? I think I will give it a try......

Ennis has also written a few (I believe three) arcs in the ongoing Crossed: Badlands series. I don't think they're bad, but I really don't remember much about them (didn't leave much of an impression on me). The original Ennis Crossed miniseries is the best of Crossed, IMO.

He did the first 3 issues of Badlands, which were, IMO, amazing. So when buying the first vol of Crossed Badlands, it will be stories by Ennis and the next guy (there is no trade of just Ennis--hope they do this eventually of course). But when he came back at issue 25 to write the "Fatal Englishman" I felt he dropped the ball a bit. He returned again at issue 50 to give readers a glimpse of how it all started, but like HeroX stated, I don't remember much of it other than being really excited when I heard that's what the subject matter was. After reading the entire arc I remember thinking, 'it's just ok!'

However, his work being 'just ok' blows away either Vol 2 (Family Values), or Vol 3 (the sickest, most disgusting thing I've probably ever read--and I LIKE Crossed), called Psychopath. He had nothing to do with either of these. Badlands is the current series being produced by Avatar right now, and Garth will come back from time to time to do a story arc. They are all worth reading, just not up to snuff with the first vol.

Jay

Okay....I have received Fury and Crossed. I started with Fury first and am half way done. So far I like it, I thoughtit started out a little slow but when it got going IT GOT GOING!

I'll keep you guys posted with a update once I finish it and start Crossed. Thanks again guys!! : )

Okay....I finished the first Crossed volume a week and a half back. Took a few to get the time to sit down and post. Well, it was decent but it didn't grab me like his other series have.

So far for Garth Ennis I have read about 25 issues of his Punisher run, The Preacher, The Boy's, Fury and now Crossed. Crossed is my least favorite out of the bunch. Don't get me wrong it was pretty good but I preferred the others much more.

When I was reading his other series I could not wait to grab the next volume and read once I finished one....I doubt i'll get around to buying the next volume of Crossed. If it was Ennis I would most likely buy it and keep reading.

The story seemed kind of rushed but didn't really get going at the same time.....kind of hard to explain how I feel about it. It definitely had a few shockers in it. Thinking back on it at the moment it IS good but maybe I was expecting better.

Either way, I still am really digging Garth Ennis at the moment and I think I will be trying Hitman next. I also want to finish reading his Punisher run. Can someone post the numbers in the series he wrote and also if they are reprinted in hardcover or TPB's? That would be most appreciated.

Thanks for all the recommendations!

I like Ennis quite a bit. I read The Boys first, loved it! I was told to read Jennifer's Blood, but I haven't gotten to it yet. Preacher is fantastic! I got hooked on all the Crossed stuff, but a lot of it is just shock value and I can usually get them for around a buck an issue so that helps.

I really enjoyed the apocalyptic miniseries he did about a group of dogs.

What is the best format to buy Hitman for reading?? Do they make huge collected editions or am I looking at small 6 issue TPB's? Maybe it's cheaper buying individual issues? These days I am much more into collected TPB's and hardcovers for reading then actual singles.

Also, I know I can google these questions but how long of a series is it? Is it completely written by Ennis??

What is the best format to buy Hitman for reading?? Do they make huge collected editions or am I looking at small 6 issue TPB's? Maybe it's cheaper buying individual issues? These days I am much more into collected TPB's and hardcovers for reading then actual singles.

Also, I know I can google these questions but how long of a series is it? Is it completely written by Ennis??

It's completely Ennis. About 50 issues or so, plus a few miscellaneous appearances elsewhere. And, yes, DC has collected the entire thing in hefty TPBs. Buy them.

It's completely Ennis. About 50 issues or so, plus a few miscellaneous appearances elsewhere. And, yes, DC has collected the entire thing in hefty TPBs. Buy them.

Thanks! I'll look into it! (thumbs u