• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official AntMan #2 Movie Thread - Antman & the Wasp July 6th 2018
4 4

193 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, paperheart said:

despite solid critical reaction (86 RT, 70 Metacritic) this is fizzling in the US.  will be a struggle to reach $200MM domestically.  on the face of it that seems OK but after BP $700MM & A:IW $675, feels like a whiff.  could argue they slotted it too close to I2. 

Does it feel like a whiff given that the first Ant-Man made under $200 million?  I doubt they expected it to significantly outperform that one.

46 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Does it feel like a whiff given that the first Ant-Man made under $200 million?  I doubt they expected it to significantly outperform that one.

I think after an Avengers movie, they expect a little uptick in grosses from a follow-up Marvel picture (Iron Man 3.)

18 hours ago, paperheart said:

despite solid critical reaction (86 RT, 70 Metacritic) this is fizzling in the US.  will be a struggle to reach $200MM domestically.  on the face of it that seems OK but after BP $700MM & A:IW $675, feels like a whiff.  could argue they slotted it too close to I2. 

Might not be so much comic fatigue, but moviegoers are slightly burned out with the Marvel Universe for the summer, after the cliffhanger in the flagship Avengers title.

Antman & Wasp was probably considered to be the most expendable one.

Most of these movies are made with the same kind of committee style filmmaking, it's like watching 3 James Bond movies in a year. 

Who wants that? When I was a kid, 2 Bond movies came out in '83.

For me, Antman sounds like a great Saturday Night Blu Ray viewing in a few months and not a trip to a matinee. My 2c 

4 hours ago, NewEnglandGothic said:

Might not be so much comic fatigue, but moviegoers are slightly burned out with the Marvel Universe for the summer, after the cliffhanger in the flagship Avengers title.

Antman & Wasp was probably considered to be the most expendable one.

Most of these movies are made with the same kind of committee style filmmaking, it's like watching 3 James Bond movies in a year. 

Who wants that? When I was a kid, 2 Bond movies came out in '83.

For me, Antman sounds like a great Saturday Night Blu Ray viewing in a few months and not a trip to a matinee. My 2c 

I still haven't seen Ant-Man 2 yet. I liked the first one,but it wasn't like I had to go see it like Avengers Infinity War, Deadpool 2 or Black Panther. Kind of like the Han Solo movie. It sounds like I like it but it might be better to just wait for the Blu-Ray. 

Now that I think about it there really seems to be no movie I must see this summer. It wouldn't surprise me if the rest of the summer box office is a dud.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

2 hours ago, DiamondCityComics said:

Thought it was ok at best.  They tried hard for laughs but literally nobody in the theater laughed out loud even once.  I liked the last 15 minutes or so but overall I wasn't thrilled.  Did we really have to sit through 15 minutes of credits to see the last scene.  

This.

Honestly, I have grown tired of that. What I do now is watch those scenes on Youtube at my convenience at home.

Other than that first time they showed Thanos. Most of them are not worth the wait.

Baba Yaga should have been in the mid credits scene.

I liked it. Lots of laughs at my theater, good solid action, great f/x, engaging cast. The villain, if you can call her that, was weak. But I had a good time and will buy the Blu-ray.

1 hour ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

This.

Honestly, I have grown tired of that. What I do now is watch those scenes on Youtube at my convenience at home.

Other than that first time they showed Thanos. Most of them are not worth the wait.

Just talked to a few friends who just came back from this. They are raving to me how good it is, and yes I should stay for the extra scene.

They told me the last scene is a what the moment?

So, I guess I will be going out to seeing it now much earlier than expected

lol. 

2 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Just talked to a few friends who just came back from this. They are raving to me how good it is, and yes I should stay for the extra scene.

They told me the last scene is a what the moment?

So, I guess I will be going out to seeing it now much earlier than expected

lol. 

They were probably referring to the mid-credits scene which was a "what the" moment for me.  Then post-credits scene can probably be skipped/you tubed.

My 9-year old daughter and me really liked the movie, and it had some laughs in our fairly crowded theater last Wednesday.  It's nice to have a super-hero movie that does not necessarily involve an "end of the world" scenario...

Just now, NewEnglandGothic said:

Truth ^

bah, during the typically brain dead season this is a summer of great movies.  Leave No Trace, American Animals, Won't You Be My Neighbor, Three Identical Strangers, Eighth Grade, Sorry to Bother You; these will all be heard from at awards time.  As for BO, if MI:F doesn't blow the doors off, there's a problem.

16 minutes ago, paperheart said:

bah, during the typically brain dead season this is a summer of great movies.  Leave No Trace, American Animals, Won't You Be My Neighbor, Three Identical Strangers, Eighth Grade, Sorry to Bother You; these will all be heard from at awards time.  As for BO, if MI:F doesn't blow the doors off, there's a problem.

I live in New Hampshire.  Other than venturing to Red River in Concord or the Wilton movie theater, getting a chance to see these is a mission: impossible. lol 

But, I'll definitely watch them on Blu Ray/DVD.

On 7/15/2018 at 5:37 AM, fantastic_four said:
On 7/14/2018 at 12:13 PM, paperheart said:

Agreed. Ant-Man is a third tier property. If it can top $200MM this summer domestically, and $600MM worldwide, that is a huge win for a weaker character.

Edited by kimik

It was a good popcorn movie, and I finished a large tub by myself while watching it, for the first time ever.

Not sure if that was because I was really hungry after work, it was really cold in the theater and chewing kept my body working/warm, or I didn't care if I missed some dialogue while crunching.

Probably a bit of all 3 :popcorn:

On 7/16/2018 at 4:52 PM, kimik said:

Agreed. Ant-Man is a third tier property. If it can top $200MM this summer domestically, and $600MM worldwide, that is a huge win for a weaker character.

Right now it is tracking lower than Han Solo box office domestically.

Very interesting how the Ant-Man 2 international numbers will be.

57 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Right now it is tracking lower than Han Solo box office domestically.

Very interesting how the Ant-Man 2 international numbers will be.

will pass Solo's international total by this weekend.  if it gets a decent release date in China and does the typical $100MMish MCU, should get to $400MM int'l.