• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It would be Criminal not to show your CRIME comics!
20 20

2,426 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Crime Does Not pay is doable except for the first few issues but a long run. I have several short runs complete. One of my favorites is this one. Had it a long time. Would be pretty costly to duplicate it now. 

comfightagainstcrimerun.jpg

Thanks.  Yeah, the first few of CDNP seem to be hard to find, and #22 (#1) is costly. The EC Crime books have also become rather costly even in low to mid grade. I was going to try and assemble a run of a less popular, less expensive series.  I really like the look of your Crime Mysteries run, as that is one I am unfamiliar with. I'm looking into Crime Must Pay the Penalty, Crime Smashers, and Crime Fighting Detective, as well as a few others.

2 hours ago, Mr.Fantastic said:

Thanks.  Yeah, the first few of CDNP seem to be hard to find, and #22 (#1) is costly. The EC Crime books have also become rather costly even in low to mid grade. I was going to try and assemble a run of a less popular, less expensive series.  I really like the look of your Crime Mysteries run, as that is one I am unfamiliar with. I'm looking into Crime Must Pay the Penalty, Crime Smashers, and Crime Fighting Detective, as well as a few others.

Crime Mysteries is going to be pretty tough and expensive due to the crime/horror crossover aspect. Penalty might be a good one to start with. Not to big, somewhat available and not too pricy. Nice covers and content as well. I have a few but just don’t need to chase the whole run. 

I think I have made my decision...........Drum Roll.........

I am going to put together a Crime Must Pay the Penalty run.  Probably going to be in the VG range.  Like a lot of the covers from the run, not too big, and not too pricy, as Robot Man mentioned.  This one was at the top of my list anyway.  So, I will post progress as I go. :tink:

27 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

A sound idea. Should be doable and fun. Here are the ones I have. Might be a couple more but pretty much done with this title. 

comcrimemuatpaypenalty4.jpg

comcrimemustpaythepenalty35.jpg

comcrimemustpaythepenalty30.jpg

You just happened to post three of my favorite covers from the series, with #4 being my favorite.

44 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

This thread got me inspired to rediscover some of the books in the crime boxes. 

This is a cool crime title. Back in the day they were so cheap. The contents are pretty weak but what attracted me were the covers. 

They seemed so adult and had just beautiful girls on them. Nobody really paid much attention or knew who the artist was. Hard today to believe that at one time Matt Baker was no big deal. And as such, very cheap even in very high grade. By far, the highest grade Bakers I have come from this run. 

I still need a couple, but have no desire to complete the run. If I were starting out now, I wouldn’t even try. 

My favorite? Probably that great blue/green #8. Sexy blonde with cleavage trying to escape the tear gas.  What is your favorite? 

D18E3E0F-5DFE-41D0-A78C-8C134B811341.jpeg

6EAC6D57-DA72-48D4-A720-269EAE3BF426.jpeg

The Classic #6 is my favorite. Hard to find, expensive if you do, but featured in SOTI with a line from a beautiful brunette for innuendo......... ""you're not going to shoot anybody with that rod are you?

Edited by Mr.Fantastic

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

This is a cool crime title. Back in the day they were so cheap. The contents are pretty weak but what attracted me were the covers. 

They seemed so adult and had just beautiful girls on them. Nobody really paid much attention or knew who the artist was. Hard today to believe that at one time Matt Baker was no big deal. And as such, very cheap even in very high grade. By far, the highest grade Bakers I have come from this run. 

I still need a couple, but have no desire to complete the run. If I were starting out now, I wouldn’t even try. 

My favorite? Probably that great blue/green #8. Sexy blonde with cleavage trying to escape the tear gas.  What is your favorite? 

That's a great assortment of books, RM. My personal favorite is issue #11... I used to own a copy back in the 90's...

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Since you have no desire to complete the run why not sell to a fellow board member. :baiting:

44 minutes ago, Mr.Fantastic said:

Since you have no desire to complete the run why not sell to a fellow board member. :baiting:

Sell these beautiful books for mere money???  Are you kidding me? I may not be adding many more but you will have to pry them out of my cold dead hands...:devil:

10 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Sell these beautiful books for mere money???  Are you kidding me? I may not be adding many more but you will have to pry them out of my cold dead hands...:devil:

One reason why Robot Man is one of the true collectors in this hobby!