• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It would be Criminal not to show your CRIME comics!
20 20

2,426 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Jayman said:

CrimeDoesNotPay42.jpg

That's a clever cover. You can imagine him saying, as they lead him to the chair: "I'm not sitting there - that things a death trap!"

49 minutes ago, Jayman said:

CrimeDoesNotPay42.jpg

Under appreciated cover.  it's a favorite for many CDNP collectors, but I guess due to lack of graphic imagery, it doesn't seem to end up on a lot of classic crime cover want lists.

GREAT CRIME COMIC !

On 7/19/2017 at 11:30 AM, Marwood & I said:

Oh dear. That cover is beautifully horrific. You can feel that guys sense of his own impending doom. Would I sound like a complete wuss if I said it has unnerved me? Powerful stuff.... :frown:

ANOTHER GREAT CRIME COMIC !

23 hours ago, sagii said:

Posted this in the Underrated covers Thread too. Gunshot to bleeding head, femme fatal in red, insurance scam cover by S&K. Crime genre at it's best (worst?):D

Headline Comics #25.jpg

The cover looks like it was inspired by the movie Double Indemnity.  Presumably the name "Barbara Cheswick" was meant to make readers think of Barbara Stanwyck, one of the stars of that movie.

18 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

If I covered up the title of this one, I think most people would guess that it's from one of the early 1950s DC crime/suspense/adventure titles. Also posted in the "Fewer than 10 Copies in the CGC Census" thread (only two graded copies of this one).

lf_zpsd9pcsowb.jpg

A book to go ape for 

Just now, sagii said:

@Sqeggs You're spot on! How a classic Hollywood geek like me didn't catch that sursprises me.  doh! And that movie was about an insurance scam .

Great   eye! 

That movie is one of my favorites.  As a kid, I watched Fred McMurray as the kindly father in the sit com My Three Sons and in Disney movies like The Absent-Minded Professor.  I was shocked when I first saw Double Indemnity and realized that he had had a career as a leading man playing all kinds of roles in Hollywood's Golden Age.

10 hours ago, vaultkeeper said:

Pretty Horrific

cdnp .jpg

Speaking of Classic Hollywood. This cover is reminiscent of the final scene in The Public Enemy (1931). The movie was re-released in 1941 so could certainly have been in the artist's mind. Here are a couple of stills from that scene. Right after the ending, there is a message with similar intent on screen as the one pinned to the guy on the cover of CNDP.

Public Enemy - Cagney Coming Home.jpg

Public Enemy - Cagney Coming Home II.jpg

6 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

If I covered up the title of this one, I think most people would guess that it's from one of the early 1950s DC crime/suspense/adventure titles. Also posted in the "Fewer than 10 Copies in the CGC Census" thread (only two graded copies of this one).

lf_zpsd9pcsowb.jpg

Beautiful copy! Shame on CGC for not listing Mort Drucker as the cover artist on the label.

1 hour ago, sagii said:

@Scrooge Yes, that CDNP paid homage to one of the greatest scenes from an early seminal film. Love me some Gangster Cagney films. This Australian edition of Headline with a photo cover of the legend will always be one of my most personal standout grabs

Headline Comics (Australian Ed.) #5.jpg

Sweet! Love how JEH is staring up at Cagney! lol