• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does anyone know or has anyone dealt with this person?

458 posts in this topic

I tried shaving once, but a couple days later, you could hardly notice it.

I have a very tightly shaved beard. Whenever I have to go into court I make sure I am freshly trimmed and fully shaved. I was before a judge about a year ago to put in an appearance. Before I had finished my "Good morning" the judge cuts me off with "Young man, this is not Woodstock. The next time you are in my court, you had better be cleaned up."

I love the power trip garbage there. Nothing rubs me the wrong way than someone in a position of power abusing their authority, even though it is pretty trivial in this case.

It's a small thing, but it makes me suspect that he is a terrible judge in other areas as well.

Condition and appearance matter, not just in comics.

"Who cares what the cover looks like - it's what's inside that matters!"

Certainly they matter. It's just not a judge's place to dictate what acceptable appearance is, IMO. That behavior from a judge makes me suspect that he is old, more interested in power than justice, and probably basing decisions more on peoples' appearance and economic status rather than the facts of the case before him.

Now that may be all wrong. He may be a great judge, but knowing only that one thing about him makes me distrustful of him.

Given some of the beards i've seen lately (which is a big trend) I think i could agree with a judge in a court room. I wouldn't want someone on my team with a beard like a lumber jack in a business setting. Sorry.

I have a very tightly shaved beard. Whenever I have to go into court I make sure I am freshly trimmed and fully shaved. I was before a judge about a year ago to put in an appearance. Before I had finished my "Good morning" the judge cuts me off with "Young man, this is not Woodstock. The next time you are in my court, you had better be cleaned up."

I love the power trip garbage there. Nothing rubs me the wrong way than someone in a position of power abusing their authority, even though it is pretty trivial in this case.

It's a small thing, but it makes me suspect that he is a terrible judge in other areas as well.

Judge-Chamberlain-Haller-from-My-Cousin-Vinny.jpg

giphy.gif

Certainly they matter. It's just not a judge's place to dictate what acceptable appearance is, IMO. That behavior from a judge makes me suspect that he is old, more interested in power than justice, and probably basing decisions more on peoples' appearance and economic status rather than the facts of the case before him.

Now that may be all wrong. He may be a great judge, but knowing only that one thing about him makes me distrustful of him.

Or he has great love and respect for the law and the justice system and he expects everyone else to show it the proper respect.

Years ago, two friends and I got busted for smoking a bong in public. Cop told us he was busting us more for being so stupid than the crime itself. We had 9/10s of a gram of pot with us, street value- under a dollar. We chipped in and hired a lawyer for $700 between us. Lawyer said we should be ACD'd and if we stayed out of trouble for six months it would be dismissed.

I showed up wearing a coat and a tie, my friends showed up in jeans and sweats. Case was called, we three stood there. Judge looked at us, told us to sit down and took my lawyer into a side bar. When it was resumed, they called my friends up, called them clowns that didn't have any respect for anyone and sentenced them to a $250 fine and a couple days community Service. I got the ACD and the Judge made it a point of telling the court that I got it because I had respect for the process.

Given some of the beards i've seen lately (which is a big trend) I think i could agree with a judge in a court room. I wouldn't want someone on my team with a beard like a lumber jack in a business setting. Sorry.

It's perfectly reasonable to enforce appearance strictures on your team in most business settings. I would imagine that both lawyer's have a boss that should be doing that in most cases. The judge isn't on a team though. He is dealing with people who are often forced to be there. He is an agent of the government and shouldn't be enforcing fashion choices based on how things were when he grew up 40 years ago.

Do people who wear long beards for religious reasons get an exemption in his court? Do they get equal justice when he is deciding things?

Justice should be blind, not ruling against people because he's got a kid who he would rather have cut his hair and didn't listen to him. :D

Or he has great love and respect for the law and the justice system and he expects everyone else to show it the proper respect.

Years ago, two friends and I got busted for smoking a bong in public. Cop told us he was busting us more for being so stupid than the crime itself. We had 9/10s of a gram of pot with us, street value- under a dollar. We chipped in and hired a lawyer for $700 between us. Lawyer said we should be ACD'd and if we stayed out of trouble for six months it would be dismissed.

I showed up wearing a coat and a tie, my friends showed up in jeans and sweats. Case was called, we three stood there. Judge looked at us, told us to sit down and took my lawyer into a side bar. When it was resumed, they called my friends up, called them clowns that didn't have any respect for anyone and sentenced them to a $250 fine and a couple days community Service. I got the ACD and the Judge made it a point of telling the court that I got it because I had respect for the process.

That is exactly what I would say is wrong with the system. That judge cared more about you kissing the ring than administering justice. That's bad justice, and he shouldn't be a judge, IMO.

How big was the bong?

Under the law, it IS his place. Sucks if you don't like it, but offending a judge in your choice of words or actions (yes even in how you dress) is grounds for contempt of court.

And it's entirely appropriate and EXPECTED for a judge to enforce decorum, language, smells, gestures, dress and appearance in a court of law.

The law is blind, but the judge isn't. He has DISCRETION under the law in maintaining appropriate decorum, appearance and behavior in a courtroom and he has DISCRETION under the law in applying a range of punishments and so if you choose to look like a doofus in a court of law, a GOOD judge would be expected to use his legally-given DISCRETION (he IS a "judge" you know) in doling out punishments.

Grown ups recognize this. Juveniles (even adult ones) often don't.

No offense. :grin:

People end up in court because they didn't respect something. If they continue with the lack of respect by their dress, attitude, then the Judge is justified in hammering them.

Under the law, it IS his place. Sucks if you don't like it, but offending a judge in your choice of words or actions (yes even in how you dress) is grounds for contempt of court.

And it's entirely appropriate and EXPECTED for a judge to enforce decorum, language, smells, gestures, dress and appearance in a court of law.

The law is blind, but the judge isn't. He has DISCRETION under the law in maintaining appropriate decorum, appearance and behavior in a courtroom and he has DISCRETION under the law in applying a range of punishments and so if you look like a doofus in a court of law, a GOOD judge would be expected to use his legally-given DISCRETION (he IS a "judge" you know) in doling out punishments.

Grown ups recognize this. Juveniles (even adult ones) often don't.

No offense. :grin:

Sure, but when their DISCRETION appears to be more about power than justice, I would rather not have that judge on the bench. Judges are elected in my area, and I would not vote for him.

He is legally able to do what he is doing, but I still think he is a tool, and I suspect that he probably is administering justice in a way that works against groups he thinks are less desirable than others.

People end up in court because they didn't respect something. If they continue with the lack of respect by their dress, attitude, then the Judge is justified in hammering them.

I ended up in court because I work there lol. I wouldn't call a Hugo Boss suit, a French Cuff shirt (with cufflinks) wing tips, and a Chanel tie "lack of respect by their dress" (Yes I remember what I was wearing, I am very (annoyingly) brand loyal and always buy the same things for work clothing. My work closet looks like Superman's lol same outfit over and over)

The reason for the beard is because without it, I look like I'm 18. My clients generally prefer to feel like they are being represented by a 5+ year JP and not a fresh face kid right out of high school.

Some people show up to court in jeans and a shirt because that is the nicest outfit they own. Just because someone can afford a Zegna suit does not mean they should be treated any differently then the destitute defendant who shows up in his nicest outfit (clean jeans and a t-shirt)

You can get a dress shirt, tie and blazer at salvation army for about $5. I don't buy the excuse they can't afford it. They seem to have no trouble affording bags of weed.

You can get a dress shirt, tie and blazer at salvation army for about $5. I don't buy the excuse they can't afford it. They seem to have no trouble affording bags of weed.

I don't think you've stepped into a salvation army/thrift store lately.

+1 I agree but then again a addiction is much stronger then just looking presentable and you have to want to break it as well.

I don't think you've stepped into a salvation army/thrift store lately.

I have and they've become more expensive almost like a regular store in some cases.

I'm in a similar situation as the OP, and have been for a few years now. A friend of mine wants a Hulk #1 in VG condition, raw and A) doesn't want to over-pay aka buy it graded (even though a mutual friend has gotten burned about 6 times with PLODs) B) doesn't understand that this is a book where the value keeps skyrocketing C) has a budget of $5,000.

So, needless to say, I am a broken record; 'you'll never find this book in the condition you want, for that price and its only going up in value so waiting only hurts you.'

I'd recommend you do the same with your client, have him wait a little longer until you find a seller you are comfortable with. Good luck!

Jerome