• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel's LEGION TV show by FX
1 1

289 posts in this topic

I like how the Fox leadership is sticking to their goal the show must stand on its own before it starts bringing in former X-Franchise stars.

LEGION Showrunner Says The Show Must "Earn" A Crossover With The X-Men Film Universe

tumblr_inline_od88bq2AVJ1rwcsku_500.gif

In a new interview with Variety, series executive producer Noah Hawley provided further context.

It seems Legion may be another Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., in the sense that the show takes place within its parent cinematic universe - there just aren't any overt connections. "I think it’s important for us to establish this as a fully realized world with fully realized characters. It does connect and it can connect, but I’m not relying on that. I have to prove myself. I have to prove that the show is good enough to incorporate those elements from the movie world, if that were ever possible."

Hawley also stated that the salary requirements for some of the actors to appear on the show is a major hurdle. "It’s sort of a non-starter to say James McAvoy’s going to be in my show. I’m not saying never, but certainly not in the first year of it. You’d have to pay those guys so much money to begin with. You’d have to pay them movie money in a different medium."

dan-stevens-dance-gif.gif

Wow!

It might seem weird to have a Marvel show on FX, or to have it star that upper-crust Brit from Downton Abbey, filtered through the creator of Fargo, but somehow it all works. Three episodes of Legion — in all their cracked visual glory — were enough to want the rest of the season immediately.

This is sounding great.

Looks great

‘Legion’ Review: A Stunning, Challenging, Fantastically Human Journey

What makes Legion’s story so compelling (and this is based on Hawley’s interpretation of it — I have not read the comics) is how it expresses itself through the framework of mental illness. The world doesn’t understand David, and he’s diagnosed as schizophrenic at a young age. In many ways the diagnosis does make sense: he’s plagued by a litany of voices, hallucinations, and rage blackouts. He has trouble controlling himself, and picks up a drug habit that helps quiet some of the mental storm. But even though Legion subverts this idea of illness, and instead makes it a power, it doesn’t save him.

Legion plays a lot with themes of identity and memory and emotion, and if the key to visual storytelling is to show and not tell, well, Legion grasps onto that wholeheartedly. But above all, it’s a deeply considered portrait of mental illness. Even if David’s schizophrenia is actually part of a mutant power, it’s also still literally angry voices in his head fighting to control him and his actions. Whatever you want to call it, it’s a problem for his daily life, and something he has struggled with since he was a young boy. The X-Men have always been a stand-in for outsiders, for people who feel persecuted or just different from the rest of the world. David’s journey is Legion is his own, but we’re connected to it, too.

Overall Rating: ★★★★★ Excellent — Awards material

WOW!!

So, here's the most pertinent question about the show--which characters are part of David's consciousness and which are real?  All the government agents he fried were real.  I'm pretty sure Aubrey Plaza is in his mind because we never see her interact with anyone but David.  Syd Barret seemed real because other characters in the show acknowledged her physical presence and talked to her.  But by the end I'm not sure she was real anymore.  Seemed like she died and was absorbed by David during the show.

Those two people who helped him escape and the woman he met at the end I can't say for sure.  I assume the black guy and woman are part of his consciousness since they were hurling government agents around with telekinesis that only David should have been able to do.  Melanie Bird, the older woman he met at the end, I have no idea...I assume she's real but she might not be.  She could be his mom and he absorbed her early in his life.

8 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

So, here's the most pertinent question about the show--which characters are part of David's consciousness and which are real?  All the government agents he fried were real.  I'm pretty sure Aubrey Plaza is in his mind because we never see her interact with anyone but David.  Syd Barret seemed real because other characters in the show acknowledged her physical presence and talked to her.  But by the end I'm not sure she was real anymore.  Seemed like she died and was absorbed by David during the show.

Those two people who helped him escape and the woman he met at the end I can't say for sure.  I assume the black guy and woman are part of his consciousness since they were hurling government agents around with telekinesis that only David should have been able to do.  Melanie Bird, the older woman he met at the end, I have no idea...I assume she's real but she might not be.  She could be his mom and he absorbed her early in his life.

I've read some forum comments on this show at other sites long-time fans of X-Men that all the characters are in his head from the first episode. That would be too extreme if everything was his imagination.

I do think the girl he killed by accident is in his head now. I'm mixed on the blonde ( Syd Barrett) being in his head, as you pointed out other characters interacted with her. I could see her being a Freedom Fighter that had herself committed to get to David. So then we have the two super-humans that chased him in order to save David. But then they interact with all those other characters that helped release him.

I like it that we are still guessing. It just means they didn't give all the goodies away up front.

I rewatched the pilot, and noticed a few things.

1) When David attempts to hang himself, isn't that the 'Mojo-like' creature walking past the door?

2) When the interrogator is questioning David, the thing he is looking down at is a high-speed tablet. But almost like a TV screen, with David's image.

JWMlQsq.jpg

3) When they show the tablet from the side, the letters 'F-R-C' are at the top left-hand corner. Could that be 'Freedom Resistance Candidate' like he is being sized up for Mojo TV casting?

Sorry, but if this isn't Mojo World, the show creators sure dropped plenty of tricky hints to lead someone down the wrong path.