• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New To Comics.. A Few Questions.. Please Look

10 posts in this topic

Hi, do you think it is worth it to grade this book? if so, what would be a possible grade and value?

I am net to comics coming over from sports cards. I have made some purchases and am not in the learning aspect of collecting

This is a 1946 Whiz Comics that was given free with Wheaties..

whiz1_zps2cqchfzf.jpg

whiz4_zpsa8ixu2xy.jpg

whiz2_zpsmxmgceqs.jpg

whiz3_zpsh8wp5pmi.jpg

Before we go any further, are you keeping or selling? No harm at all keeping them raw/unslabbed if you're keeping them, especially if you're reading them. The word association game makes me think "speculator" when I hear "card guy," though.

Pretend these are a stack of Gretzky rookies. Would you grade those and why?

meh, I'm all for helping another collector come up with grades for their books, but I personally find no joy in helping a speculator price his inventory so he can turn them for a potential buck. If someone want's jump into a hobby solely to try and make a fast buck (which is fine) then i feel they should at the very least do their own research for the product they are selling and not have me do it for them. There are tons of reading resources out their for the grading, pricing, etc. of comics.

I'm not saying bcookie is a lazy speculator, but I have not seen enough to say that he isn't either. I am interested to see where this thread goes though.

meh, I'm all for helping another collector come up with grades for their books, but I personally find no joy in helping a speculator price his inventory so he can turn them for a potential buck. If someone want's jump into a hobby solely to try and make a fast buck (which is fine) then i feel they should at the very least do their own research for the product they are selling and not have me do it for them. There are tons of reading resources out their for the grading, pricing, etc. of comics.

I'm not saying bcookie is a lazy speculator, but I have not seen enough to say that he isn't either. I am interested to see where this thread goes though.

:golfclap:

Well, I am planning on keeping the books.. but I just want to see if my thought process on this hobby is correct in regards to value.

I know that the market determines value and i would not ask here for value because i could probably find out the answer on eBay.

i just would like to know if you think grading would make sense for these books. you can only read it once right.. after that you might as will protect the investment.

and to me spending $200 is an investment.

you can only read it once right..

Nope. Do you only watch a movie once?

...and to me spending $200 is an investment.

So you got 'em cheap. How'd you make an offer on these if you don't know what they're worth?

Something stinks. Have fun with your thread, I'm out.