• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eBay Issue: Slab returned .... BUT!!

109 posts in this topic

Take it back, and be nice about it.

You might end up with a long time customer as a result of treating him well.

You really don't have a choice here, so may as well be cool about it instead of turning it into some huge headache, and getting a neg for your trouble on top of the return

The bottom line is you have to take the return.

Buyer did not bother to look closely enough to see the clearly visible problem, or thought it was a artifact or on the bag or something. Buyer made an error, it happens. I don't think he is being unreasonable in this regard, I would not want to own that book either. There are plenty of 9.8s without that mark on the foot.

Buyer is unreasonable to think the seller should have called that out. With it clearly visible, that's on the buyer.

If the buyer was acting in good faith, he would admit the mistake and offer to absorb all costs of business, which would include shipping both ways. I have done this a few times when I made a mistake buying something.

Unfortunately, that kind of good faith is rare these days and I'm sure you will be out the shipping cost.

You could explain to him a printing error does not effect grade. But basically he can ram a steak knife thru slab, return a German newspaper or do anything he likes and ebay will still force the refund. Just be polite and refund at least he probably wont give you a neg. Fighting him he still gets refund and you get the neg...

...and a possible German newspaper with a steak knife through it in return instead of your book.

I called eBay and explained the situation. They told me that because I specified I won't accept returns, I should figure this out with the buyer. If we can't figure this out, I can request that eBay help sort it out for us. However, based on what you guys are saying from your experiences, I should take the return.

The buyer has agreed to pay the return shipping.

This case would seem so black and white to me if it were in ebay's hands. The anomaly on the cover is in the pic, thus, nothing was hidden. Despite that the buyer's reason for return was 'item not as described '

Part of what makes eBay such a septic tank of online sales is that buyers don't assume any responsibility. Sellers are set up to take the fall almost every time.

The part you're not understanding is that it doesn't matter why the buyer wants to return the item...they're allowed to return it no matter what your policy is. They could get the book in, take a look at it and say, "You know...I really can't afford this." and then contact you for a return. They have that right and eBay will support it every single time.

Smile & be polite, take the return and then relist it. It's a part of being in business on eBay.

Most of us on here don't accept returns on CGC graded books and I'm in that camp.

As an aside to the issue of whether this book is what it is, I really don't agree with this idea that a slab makes a book's grade immune from criticism.

I can ask to see a slab up close at a con and choose not to buy it if I feel that the defects don't match the grade or are of a type that I don't want in my collection. Why can I not do this long distance?

A claim that the label makes the book what it is, is not my understanding of comic book collecting. :sumo:

The part you're not understanding is that it doesn't matter why the buyer wants to return the item...they're allowed to return it no matter what your policy is. They could get the book in, take a look at it and say, "You know...I really can't afford this." and then contact you for a return. They have that right and eBay will support it every single time.

Smile & be polite, take the return and then relist it. It's a part of being in business on eBay.

^^^ Straight-up truth ^^^

I can ask to see a slab up close at a con and choose not to buy it if I feel that the defects don't match the grade or are of a type that I don't want in my collection. Why can I not do this long distance?

Because when you're at a con and you decide to put the book down because it doesn't meet your criteria the seller isn't out anything.

When you're doing this from a distance and you're willing to pay the shipping cost round trip to cherry-pick, most sellers probably wouldn't have a problem with that.

But that's not what usually happens.

What usually happens in these instances is the seller gets stuck paying shipping one way, if not both ways. That's where the rub is.

So when buying long-distance, most sellers would likely prefer a buyer do there due diligence and figure out if it's the book they really want before they commit to a purchase.

A buyer can receive an item, decide he doesn't like the way the label was placed on the box, and ask for a refund. Or it could be weather related. You still gotta give em a refund. All they gotta say is the item is not what they expected.

Kav, I get it.

Buyers can return anything for any reason through eBay.

I get it. I'm not debating that.

I'm not talking about what a buyer can do through eBay.

I'm talking about ethically where a buyer's responsibility lies.

Just because a buyer can do something through eBay doesn't make it ethically right.

Any business gets unreasonable customers. It's part of selling. Ya just gotta live with it.

what happened to the idea that this is a hobby?

the problem with the world is EVERYTHING is considered business and EVERYBODY is held to the standards of big business.

Its part of the sickness that is 2015.

I had someone buy a cellophane sealed item from me on ebay[Chanel perfume] and claim it was a fake.

He told me he buys them all the time on ebay and only when he gets them can he tell whether its real or fake.

And he sends the ones he doesn't want back. doh!

Says only about 5% of the ones he buys are real. doh!

And he acted like I was trying to commit a fraud when I said it seemed like he was assuming the risk as he knew they were very possibly fake based on his expert knowledge. doh!

But its ebay. You cant win on that platform as a seller in 2015.

If ebay was as horrifically bad for sellers as you suggest, there would be nothing for sale on ebay.

that has got to be the stupidest argument I have ever heard.

seriously.

there's always SOMEONE who is an apologist for a bad system

Congrats, its you this time !

I ain't even going to bother responding to your future posts.

You are IGNORED.