• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,445 posts in this topic

That MMM V5#9 in Heritage auction looks way undergraded. Can't see any defects but it only got 8.5 confused.gif

Probably one of the best deals in the whole auction for that price.

Anyone know what happened to Crowley FC 79 CGC9.6? It was in auction preview but for some reason it was never offered for sale?. That was one sick book.

Edit: WHOA.... $16,100 for WDCS 2 CGC9.0! Biggest price I have ever seen for a Disney comic!.

Edited by Arty

Perhaps the FC 79 9.6 will show up in the May auction with its little friend FC 13 9.4?

If anyone has a pile of dusty WDCS 2s in 9.0 lying around in a corner, send me a PM. I'll match the price and save you the Heritage fees. Initially, I was actually considering going to $20K for this book, but since the cover art is not particularly attractive and since it doesn't have any key stories/art, it faded a little on me. I set my limit at $14K, but unfortunately someone else got the even Ks.

Does anyone know how "cut bid"s work at Heritage btw.? They asked me about this on the phone. Could I have gone $14,600 and raised the next increment to $15,200?

Perhaps the FC 79 9.6 will show up in the May auction with its little friend FC 13 9.4?

If anyone has a pile of dusty WDCS 2s in 9.0 lying around in a corner, send me a PM. I'll match the price and save you the Heritage fees. Initially, I was actually considering going to $20K for this book, but since the cover art is not particularly attractive and since it doesn't have any key stories/art, it faded a little on me. I set my limit at $14K, but unfortunately someone else got the even Ks.

Does anyone know how "cut bid"s work at Heritage btw.? They asked me about this on the phone. Could I have gone $14,600 and raised the next increment to $15,200?

Cut bid allows you bid to above the current high bid, but less than the normal increment. It''s risky if you really want the book because the cut bid will be the last one you give on the book.

This MMM V5#9 was the only decent copy I'd seen until a CGC 8.5 appeared in yesterday's auction. I knew I'd win the latter so I had my own certified - just came back from CGC today. Bought from moondog in 2001.

This issue was the first of 4 (V5#9-12) with an experimental decal cover design that was abandoned from WDC&S 1. In my mind, these 4 last issues are all very cool Ducks that are so undervalued in the market it's not-even-funny-books (sorry). In fact, for several years V5#10 and #11 were the last two issues missing in my otherwise complete FN-up run. I finally was able to get both this month through Heritage yay.gif.

Congrats, glad you were able to win something on Heritage unlike yours truly. I had actually just received this Uncle Scrooge #25 back from CGC, so I was bidding aggressively on the 9.4 copy (which was one of the few that was not overgraded, in my opinion) figuring that I could sell my copy to defray the cost. But my bids were easily topped, so I guess I'll have to hang on to this copy for the time being.

UncleScrooge25.jpg

This MMM V5#9 was the only decent copy I'd seen until a CGC 8.5 appeared in yesterday's auction. I knew I'd win the latter so I had my own certified - just came back from CGC today. Bought from moondog in 2001.

This issue was the first of 4 (V5#9-12) with an experimental decal cover design that was abandoned from WDC&S 1. In my mind, these 4 last issues are all very cool Ducks that are so undervalued in the market it's not-even-funny-books (sorry). In fact, for several years V5#10 and #11 were the last two issues missing in my otherwise complete FN-up run. I finally was able to get both this month through Heritage yay.gif.

Congrats, glad you were able to win something on Heritage unlike yours truly. I had actually just received this Uncle Scrooge #25 back from CGC, so I was bidding aggressively on the 9.4 copy (which was one of the few that was not overgraded, in my opinion) figuring that I could sell my copy to defray the cost. But my bids were easily topped, so I guess I'll have to hang on to this copy for the time being.

UncleScrooge25.jpg

Do my eyes deceive, or Is that a scan without glare?

Looks nice. Were you expecting a 9.4?

Do my eyes deceive, or Is that a scan without glare?

Looks nice. Were you expecting a 9.4?

It was a CGC scan, although I have to say I was not happy with the low-res quality of CGC's scan considering the relatively high imaging fee you have to pay.

It IS a nice book, but yes, I thought 9.2 was a fair grade. I think I had it graded as a VF/NM. Of course, the person who sold it to me (whom we've discussed offline) sold it to me as a NM.

Here's one of the nicer books from the run that I just submitted. This one is a keeper. At the risk of being politically incorrect in the current environment, I thought CGC's grading was pretty accurate across the board.

UncleScrooge44.jpg

Great Scrooges, tth2! Just bewildered myself into the Water Cooler for a moment - are you a Liverpool fan? First team I ever supported back in the late 70s when they were fantastic (Keegan, Souness, Dalglish, ...). Just saw the Man. United game on cable her in California.

Here's a pretty giveaway I just sold. Thought it should have been a 9.4. Still, bought raw for <$100 on eBay back in '99 so I can't complain.

moc56_800.jpg

Great Scrooges, tth2! Just bewildered myself into the Water Cooler for a moment - are you a Liverpool fan? First team I ever supported back in the late 70s when they were fantastic (Keegan, Souness, Dalglish, ...).[

Yes I am!

Just saw the Man. United game on cable her in California.

mad.gifChristo_pull_hair.gif893censored-thumb.gif

Here's a pretty giveaway I just sold. Thought it should have been a 9.4. Still, bought raw for <$100 on eBay back in '99 so I can't complain.

Nice book!

Classic. 893applaud-thumb.gif

I believe it was the story that the first Duck Tales cartoon was based on. I used to watch that in college (where's the sheepish graemlin).

I've always liked Uncle Scrooge, so I could seriously get into collecting Duck books (especially if I had some of his riches). thumbsup2.gif

Just got my first Duck book. Scrooge #195 which reprints FC #386. Great stuff. popcorn.gif

I recently received a great book from Gemstone and wanted to post a short review. I had mixed expectations when I ordered it but was positively surprised.

"Mickey and the Gang" is centered around the whimsical Disney pages by Hank Porter, Tom Wood and others that appeared in "Good Housekeeping" magazine in the 1930s. While it covers the complete run through 1944, it is the earlier pages that stand out and justify a book on the topic. These are more than possibly the most beautiful examples of Disney art ever.

That's what I expected when I ordered the hardcover. However, the really cool thing about it is how it systematically relates the pages to lots of other promotional material for the early Disney shorts and movies. This is one of the best illustrated books I've ever seen. The collections of sketches, toys, posters, books, comics, and magazines that it draws upon are absolutely incredible. For every GH page, the corresponding short/movie is summarized, often with illustrations from the little known (since they hardly ever surface on the market) but extremely beautiful storyboard drawings. It is fun to see how the artists went about the task of compressing an 8 minute short into just 5-6 frames and a poem. Beyond that, the book compares with the summarized stories published in Mickey Mouse Magazine, Walt Disney's Comics and Stories, and other early Disney publications. Every page also has an entry for British (and sometimes other international) references to the story.

Gemstone deserves a lot of credit for all the research that went into this book. The consistent and systematic approach makes it far deeper than most "look-at-all-the-cool-stuff-in-my-collection" books. The text has a lot of interesting trivia. For example, I would never have guessed the only known merchandise appearance of the title character for the 1935 short "Who Killed (unintentionally censored word) Robin" (sadly, he was shot about ten seconds into the short and spent the rest of it stone dead with a huge arrow sticking out of his cadaver).

On the negative side, the book wastes a good chunk of pages on remarkably unremarkable reprints of illustrated children's stories and gradually becomes less interesting as the quality of the GH pages declines.

Overall, I'd very highly recommend it to anyone interested in any aspect of Disney shorts and related promotional material from the 1930s. Having read it, I can't wait to order the old Disney shorts on DVD.

The hardcover is a little pricey at $145, but it really is a beautiful coffee table book and I think it is well worth it. It also has 10 fold-out reproductions of the original art for some of the best early stories (outstanding stuff!). There's also a much cheaper softcover without the reproductions.

mmgang.jpg

Prices for US have been exploding recently, between Heritage's January auction and ExecSec's auctions on eBay. Where is all this demand coming from?

Anyways, here's another US that I recently received back from CGC.

UncleScrooge48.jpg

Just completed my run of Mickey Mouse Magazines this past week. V5#9-12 marked the final transition from magazine to comic book. These 4 issues are some of the most interesting and challenging Disney books in my mind. Never thought I'd see them all in this shape. It took me 7 years to find nice copies of V5#10 and V5#11.

#9: CGC 8.5 file copy

#10: CGC 9.2 file copy

#11: CGC 7.5 file copy

#12: Raw, very likely best existing copy.

I need to find a way to take a picture of the whole collection. I now have all 60 issues in FN or better, 50 in VF up, and around 35 in VF/NM up (+ many duplicate high grade copies).

MMM59-12.jpg

As always, very impressive with the mags. Question: Do you find that the magazines are more common than the first 30 issues of WDCS? In any grade or in high grade? Neither really show up on ebay and never in high grade.

As an aside I bought the Porky Pig 48 CGC 8.0 and am looking for a reader. This came up on ebay and was a bit high for the beater that it is, but I'm getting tired of waiting since I've never read this issue. Sigh.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...W%3AIT&rd=1

Fabulous copies as usual!

gossip.gif Now if only we could see better pictures of them.

Congrats getting the 48!

As always, very impressive with the mags. Question: Do you find that the magazines are more common than the first 30 issues of WDCS? In any grade or in high grade? Neither really show up on ebay and never in high grade.

For some reason, very few high grade copies from V5 have come up in the time I've collected. The only set I've seen was a run of file copies that sold in the mid-90s. The V5#12 from that was graded VF- (later bought by Geppi) and chances are that the 9-11 above were from the same set. I'd rate WDCS 1-10 the most challenging to find, followed by MMM V1 and MMM V5#9-12.

I was able to get the V5#9-11 for just over $3,000 incl BP and consider this an absurd bargain given what other, much more common Duck books are selling for.

I'll have to work on my skills as a photographer.