• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NY Historical Society - Superheroes in Gotham - Quick Review

21 posts in this topic

Superheroes.jpg

I recently visited an exhibit at the NY Historical Society presented as "Superheroes in Gotham." It celebrated the creation of the superhero and their relation to history, society in general and most of all their ties to NY.

While many people lent things to the Historical Society for the exhibit, it was nice to see that the guys at Metropolis were kind enough to represent and lend a LOT of things to the museum curators to showcase. Vinny and Company apparently do a lot of things around town without a lot of fanfare it seems. Pretty cool of them. There was an Action 1 on display, the Reeves Superman suit, two (allegedly) pages from AF15 were on loan from the Library of Congress along with a lot of other OA and comic book goodies.

The thing I genuinely liked about this was that comic books were getting the respect that they deserved. The idea behind the exhibit is that Golden Age, Atomic Age and Silver Age comic books provide a snapshot of American society that we may not regularly gain insight through in other mediums.

Pictures were not allowed so of course I snuck three pictures. Oh yeah, the 60's Batmobile is currently in the lobby...

Check it out if you can... It runs until February 21, 2016

New York Historical Society - Superheroes in Gotham

Here is a blurb from the website.

Comic book superheroes are a part of our daily lives. They engage our imaginations on the pages of comic books, television and movie screens, as well as the Broadway stage and in the virtual world of gaming. Contemporary literature and art reference them; adults and children alike delight in donning superhero t-shirts, caps, and sneakers.

Since their introduction in the late 1930s, superheroes have been powerful role models, inspirational and enviable. Based on mythological archetypes, they reflect, respond to, and offer ways to navigate the twists and turns of modern life. Comic books are a great American art form, a cultural phenomenon born in New York City that now extends around the globe.

Superheroes in Gotham will tell the story of the birth of comic book superheroes in New York City; the leap of comic book superheroes from the page into radio, television, and film; the role of fandom, including the yearly mega event known as New York Comic Con; and the ways in which comic book superheroes, created in the late 1930s through the 1960s, have inspired and influenced the work of contemporary comic book artists, cartoonists, and painters in New York City.

Don't know if this is real or not. Apparently the flintlock pistols in the main hall that lead people to believe that they were the Hamilton-Burr dueling pistols are fakes.

D506DFC4-7695-44FF-958A-88B7614DA0B5.jpg

Don't know if this is real or not.

I'm pretty sure it is. Earlier this month I tried to schedule an appointment with the Library of Congress to see the Amazing Fantasy #15 original art and the librarian mentioned they had two pages on loan to this show.

i haven't been there for a while...like almost 30 years...but it is a very nice place. i used to go there and do research for high school papers and what not (before the interweb). just downtown a few blocks from the museum of natural history/planetarium, so if you're coming in from out of town you can do multiple touristy things in one day near each other (not that they are touristy per se, i take my kids to that museum every year or two). and then take your honey to the ballet/opera a few blocks from there (just kidding...that would be too much for one day)

The thing I genuinely liked about this was that comic books were getting the respect that they deserved.

I couldn't agree more.

Can't wait to go to this exhibit. Thanks for posting the pics and write up.

FBCDC0BD-5FE1-4424-A682-2886BE05713C.jpg

That's awesome!

Yes it is and thanks for posting, going to put this on my visit list!

:cloud9:

I know its crass but...

What would these pages trade for on the open market ?

100k ?

200k ?

500 k ?

you're missing at least 1 zero