• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is going on with Prize Comics.
3 3

83 posts in this topic

Lately random mid-run Superhero issues of Prize Comics have been selling for around $150 a point, even ones without war covers. I never really followed this title, but it seems to me that that's multiples of what they were selling for maybe a year ago. Why the sudden demand?

They are great books. Most have great covers and nice contents with Frankenstein and Green Lama. Have always been a challenge to find. I have quietly been buying them for years but I'm afraid the secret is out of the bag now...

Amen to that....... they were cheap by comparison and very difficult to find.....especially the first 35 or so. Very well done material. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Thanks for posting. These are great!

The #38 mirror cover definitely looks like a swipe of More Fun #65... my first thought as well.

I think so, too.

Great covers that you don't often see.

Thanks for posting. These are great!

The #38 mirror cover definitely looks like a swipe of More Fun #65... my first thought as well.

I think so, too.

Great covers that you don't often see.

Very true, great cover art increases desirability, and early Prize Comics has a number of interesting characters. While variety themed comics are lucky to have one or two recurring characters worthy of promotion, Prize has at least four noteworthy cover touted back-up features before it's 10th issue.

While I'm not a Prize collector, if the interiors are on par with the covers this title certainly deserves more attention. My 2c

It only takes two collectors trying to build runs at the same time to cause a price spike on GA material.

I think my favorite issue is #17; I almost went after the 5.0 that sold on Heritage last year. It's not something I'd want to pay much over guide for, though, and it went for almost $500, which was more than 2X guide.

http://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/prize-comics-17-prize-1941-cgc-vg-fn-50-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7093-91223.s?ic4=OtherResults-SampleItem-071515

Another title that I like that's been selling high lately is Lightning Comics. I really wanted the V2#1 that sold on HA this summer, but it went for $900—5 times guide! I was watching it right up till the end, but I couldn't justify paying that kind of money for it. I'd have gone double guide without a second thought.