• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JUSTICE LEAGUE: PART ONE (11/17/17)
5 5

2,041 posts in this topic

That's what I'm talking about, if it's so bad and you can't give it a score greater than a 6 but you want to see it???

there is some movies greater than a 7 that i could never watch again, heck even some 8s and 9s (for the record i prefer the 5 star review scale)

28 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

That's what I'm talking about, if it's so bad and you can't give it a score greater than a 6 but you want to see it???

there is some movies greater than a 7 that i could never watch again, heck even some 8s and 9s (for the record i prefer the 5 star review scale)

I think it just depends on the movie, as it should.  I actually felt that way about BvS.  I gave it a 6-6.5 out of 10, and there were A MILLION things awful about the movie. BUT there were some truly awesome scenes that I wanted to see again in the theater and pay attention to in closer detail.  There were a bunch of terrible things about BvS, and a bunch of cool things.  For me, there were a few more cool things than terrible things, so I gave it a six, and recommend people watch it if they like Batman and/or superman or zack Snyder, but otherwise its a pass.

But I could say Avengers 2 I was entertained throughout and enjoyed it mostly, but the highs were not really too high, but the lows weren't very low at all.  Overall the quality was consistently higher than BVS, so I give it a 7.5.  I recommend it for anyone who wants a pleasant summer blockbuster (a somewhat more general audience). But I don't really have a desire to see it again. 

There are other masterpieces that should be watched once, but aren't really the kind one watches over and over, like Moonlight.  And there are lesser ones that have somewhat more entertainment value upon rewatch, like Punisher War Zone or the Underworld movies, which get better with each rewatch but aren't really good.

Its all very subjective. As it should be.

The goal with movies should be for a wide range of people to enjoy and appreciate what they see.  I was so impressed with Batman Begins and even the first Iron Man movie that I told my mom she should watch them.  Justice League isn't reinventing or moving forward the genre. 

I also don't take youtube reviews with some guy wearing a Superman t-shirt that seriously...

FYI, I know some people think that the lack of a Rotten Tomatoes score means that WB/DC was purposely holding back on reviews (which is the very clear sign a movie in which he studio has no confidence, or one in which it hopes to just have a good first week before people find out it's not any good) but that is NOT the case here.  RT has been debuting this new original content called "See it / Skip it" where they "reveal" the score of a movie each week, and this week it's Justice League.  So the reviews are held back artificially from the site until tomorrow.

This is too bad.  May be a good thing for the RT brand, but it's not a good thing for whatever movie they pick each week.

12 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

The Rotten Tomatoes score gets revealed at 12.01 am est tonight.  lol.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/justice_league_2017/

Meanwhile, Metacritic's got it at 49, based on just 40 reviews.

Again, neither of these early ratings means much -- we probably won't get a decent picture of the rating until Friday morning, when there's a critical mass of at least 110 reviews.

4 minutes ago, fmaz said:

FYI, I know some people think that the lack of a Rotten Tomatoes score means that WB/DC was purposely holding back on reviews (which is the very clear sign a movie in which he studio has no confidence, or one in which it hopes to just have a good first week before people find out it's not any good) but that is NOT the case here.  RT has been debuting this new original content called "See it / Skip it" where they "reveal" the score of a movie each week, and this week it's Justice League.  So the reviews are held back artificially from the site until tomorrow.

This is too bad.  May be a good thing for the RT brand, but it's not a good thing for whatever movie they pick each week.

Maybe - but the show only debuted two weeks ago. This is just the third episode, so conspiracy theories have a tad bit of sway. 

That said, I just watched the first episode, where they revealed Thor: Ragnarok's (then) 96% rating. Split vote -- One of them voted "See it;" the other didn't like that they turned it into a comedy, voted "Skip it"

just for fun, i went to see the lowest scores on metacritic to see what movies they scored high and get an idea of what they like etc

Katie Walsh  - JL 38

• 58 Metascore
  • 100 Katie Walsh
With Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising, they've flipped the -script, creating a feminist party classic that's completely current and doesn't skimp on any of the wild humor. It's also even better than its predecessor.

Todd gave Attack of the Clones a 90 :facepalm:
  • 54 Metascore
  • 90 Todd McCarthy
George Lucas has reached deep into the trove of his self-generated mythological world to produce a grand entertainment that offers a satisfying balance among the series' epic, narrative, technological and emotional qualities.

Mick Lasalle JL - 25

Mick loves comedies, he gave the masterpiece Mike and Dave a 100! :facepalm:
  • 51 Metascore
  • 100 Mick LaSalle
Comedy is getting more and more nasty and more and more funny. But it’s hard to imagine any movie more nasty-funny than Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates.
  • San Francisco Chronicle
  • Posted Jul 7, 2016

Robbie Collin has the lowest score on RT at 20 however he loved Aliens Covenant so much he gave it a 100

• 65 Metascore
  • 100 Robbie Collin
Scott’s Alien: Covenant is a mad scientist film – arguably, one of the maddest. It’s grandiose, exhilarating, vertiginously cynical and symphonically perverse.

29 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

The Rotten Tomatoes score gets revealed at 12.01 am est tonight.  lol.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/justice_league_2017/

I wish I could stay up that late to see the teeth-gnashing, but I'm old now and need my rest. 

Edited by Chip Cataldo

19 minutes ago, fmaz said:

WB owns 30% of RT, so it certainly could be the case that WB is holding back the reviews. 

30 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Meanwhile, Metacritic's got it at 49, based on just 40 reviews.

Again, neither of these early ratings means much -- we probably won't get a decent picture of the rating until Friday morning, when there's a critical mass of at least 110 reviews.

Metacritic only uses 50 or so critics, the 49 rating is pretty much cast in stone (give or take a point or two)

1 hour ago, paperheart said:

but it's nearly perfect symmetry: SS 40, BVS 44, JLA 49, MOS 55

If you sat through that reveal show it's at 43% on Rotten Tomatoes and I'm sure dropping as more reviews come in. Lots of trashing of the film, oh well. 

Edited by TeddieMercede

1 hour ago, TeddieMercede said:

If you sat through that reveal show it's at 43% on Rotten Tomatoes and I'm sure dropping as more reviews come in. Lots of trashing of the film, oh well. 

as long as the WB  gag order RT reveal allowed a few more tickets to be sold it was well worth the temporary loss of credibility and the negative press (thumbsu

Edited by paperheart

I'm confused.

I just watched the reveal show. And I get that the RT score was 43% as of 3:00 pm yesterday, but there's still no score (or, more importantly, links to reviews) on the Rotten Tomatoes site itself.

That's just dumb.

Seems RT really cares more about advertising for their Facebook channel than the functionality of their site itself. 

Edited by Gatsby77

1 hour ago, Gatsby77 said:

Seems RT really cares more about advertising for their Facebook channel than the functionality of their site itself. 

Yeah, I just checked their site, roughly six hours after the "reveal video", and still no score up.  I hate to think it but it really seems like WB is using the fact that they own 30% of RT to bury the score for as long as possible to help ticket sales.

The optics of how this has all boiled out is not good.