• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What moderns are truly keys and will stay that way?

96 posts in this topic

Wow, only 1 person mentioned cm 17 2nd print.

That book is still growing, with the estimated guess of less than 1000 copirs this book may be THE modern book to own in rarity alone...as far as 1st apps go.

We will re-read this years from now.. This book will be the modern KEY !

It will be forgotten, just like Spider Gwen, a female Thor etc etc. You keep your hopes up though.

Oakman- Who has seen 40 years of fads go by the wayside.

Channeling your inner Cal? :baiting::eek:

lol I'm glad someone got it.

I got it. It was a little frightening.

lol

Wolverine 66 old man logan. The hell with all the variants and prints on this one.1st old man logan and introduction of "the waste lands" mysery of the fate of that baby hulk. The fact that hes in continuity..the movie hype. Acclaimed story and great art. He is a fan favorite! Major key!

... maybe an unpopular opinion (espeically here in modern land) but I dont think of any low issue variant as a "key"

only way I could see an exception was if the cover was some iconic marketwide lovefest that everyone wanted, but was hard to find due to it being a variant (I'd see the Batman 608 RRP as a possible "key" espeically since it's had market staying power for 13 years)

IF Kamala sticks around and the character has legs then CM17 could be a "key", but to call some miniscule print run book the "key" just doesnt jive with my idea of a key.

Here's how I do a mental check on "keys"... if you ran into someone and they said they had a great collection of modern keys, what books would you expect to see in that collection?

Would the CM17 2nd be a great part of the collection? Yes, no doubt. But if I saw the collection and it was WD1, BA12, Invincible 1, Bone 1, YTLM 1, and so on then Id smile and go "yep thats a heck of a modern key collection!"

as someone else said, just cause it's rare dont make it a key, and just cause it costs a lot (right now) doesnt make it key. If Kamala keeps her importance for a while then we can consider it, right now it's just speculative...

I see CM172nd as more of a trend setter with modern variants than a like-able/popular character heating up ala SG, HQ et al

If the big boys are taking notes, you will start seeing 2nd print variants with splash character covers everywhere, just like action figure variants took over and other current popular trends

Yes i dp actually and all this knocking my spelling or my typos is old news now. Why do you continually feel you have to ridicule someone when you hve nothing else to contribute? Are you bored? Its really lame and childish..how old are you???

...and the reason that cm 17 2print is or will be a key is because its her 1st appearance not because its a variant. It just happens to be a variant. Everybody knows that a print run doesnt make any book a key. It is the historical significance for a character.

I see CM172nd as more of a trend setter with modern variants than a like-able/popular character heating up ala SG, HQ et al

If the big boys are taking notes, you will start seeing 2nd print variants with splash character covers everywhere, just like action figure variants took over and other current popular trends

Its way to early to say if this trend will stick. We haven't had speculation like this in the market since the 90s and the internet didn't control it like it does now.

Id say give it a year or two. When you start to see demand for the entire series explode then you know. Right now its just all about the 1st appearance and rarity.

...and the reason that cm 17 2print is or will be a key is because its her 1st appearance not because its a variant. It just happens to be a variant. Everybody knows that a print run doesnt make any book a key. It is the historical significance for a character.

wait, she only appeared in the 2nd printing?

wait, she only appeared in the 2nd printing?

lol

All these people trying to convince seasoned collectors that CM17 is going to be a future gold mine reminds me of all the people in the 90s saying Gen13 was going to be your ticket to a Porsche when you retire. It was so great! Gen13 will never die! No way it could ever fail!

There were a lot of characters in time that were popular in their day, but tastes change and there's no way of knowing if she will be popular 10 years from now.

If you are a collector you buy what you like..if you are an investor you worry about "gold mines" so maybe "all these people" are trying to convince the investors not the collectors.per say. So speculators and investors buying up books and selling fir a profit is a bad thing than whats the whole point. I have in issue and i enjoy it for what it is. Why do people that make money off this craze knock it so much??? Its baffling lol. I think these books are great for collectors that want them and investors that fkip them. we are all happy...arent you ? ;)

Its way to early to say if this trend will stick. We haven't had speculation like this in the market since the 90s and the internet didn't control it like it does now.

Id say give it a year or two. When you start to see demand for the entire series explode then you know. Right now its just all about the 1st appearance and rarity.

Right. The internet didnt control it, but Wizard did. And I dont know which is worse lol

And by the look of things, the big two are jumping on latest trends quicker than we even call them that. Action figure variants (although existed before) didnt get popular until Spread #1 2nd print came out. And look at what DC is doing next month with HQ - polybagged variants which require you to open the bag in order to find out which variant you got.. Thats kinda like Sex Criminal #11 now isnt it..

My point is.. Marvel & DC are allllllll over new trends now, and I wouldnt be surprised if they havent noticed the hunger for books like CM17 II and Negan 100 II

I actually like the idea of a variant that is polybagged and you don't know what you are going to get. Seems kind of fun (if it were no more than cover price). But having said that, I also am not a variant chaser and very rarely buy them. Same with 2nd, 3rd, 80th prints. To me 1st print is the only way to go.