• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Potential Hulk 181 and Amazing Fantasy #15 scam

46 posts in this topic

A buddy of mine has the opportunity to buy these two books in a deal that seems a little too good to be true. Most of the warning bells are going off, and the guy seems a little shady.

The Hulk #181 is a cgc 9.6 cert 0919384005, The Fantasy #15 is a 1.0 1052615002 .

I'm basically just posting this to see if anyone here has these particular books or are aware of them being stolen.

The asking price is well below market, and the guy claims to have gotten them from one of the many storage units he regularly purchases. He is from Lexington Kentucky. It hasn't been ascertained whether or not the seller is willing to meet in person, but it seems he is attempting to lean more towards coaxing a paypal transaction out of the deal.

Does anyone here own these, or are aware of them being stolen?

Also, I know...Too good to be true it probably is...

If it is a scam, it's very common for them to lift the photos from heritage. Did you check heritage to see if the photos are the same?

For example, here is that hulk 181 on heritage... if he sent you the exact same pic, that should set off alarm bells:

http://comics.ha.com/itm/bronze-age-1970-1979-/the-incredible-hulk-181-marvel-1974-cgc-nm-96-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7093-93437.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

It was pretty random. It's a friend of mine that owns a shop and he called him. He's here in Ga, so it's pretty odd with the supposed seller being in Lexington.

Did the guy reach out to your friend through a reply to your friend's Craigslist ad?

If so, I've had a similar experience - only it was with a Tec 38.

Thanks for the link! My friend should be checking this thread at some point to compare. I mentioned to him earlier that it was likely that any scans/photos were lifted from somewhere else.

If it is a scam, it's very common for them to lift the photos from heritage. Did you check heritage to see if the photos are the same?

For example, here is that hulk 181 on heritage... if he sent you the exact same pic, that should set off alarm bells:

http://comics.ha.com/itm/bronze-age-1970-1979-/the-incredible-hulk-181-marvel-1974-cgc-nm-96-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7093-93437.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Both of these book has sold more than once on heritage, so if the photos seem very close but not exact, try checking the photo on the other listing for that book. Here is that AF 15 from one of its sales on heritage:

http://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/amazing-fantasy-15-marvel-1962-cgc-fr-10-cream-to-off-white-pages/a/121339-11014.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

lol wow. For some books that have been moved so much recently it's amazing that they ended up in an abandoned storage unit :insane: Where's Brandi and Jared when you need them?

Both of these book has sold more than once on heritage, so if the photos seem very close but not exact, try checking the photo on the other listing for that book. Here is that AF 15 from one of its sales on heritage:

http://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/amazing-fantasy-15-marvel-1962-cgc-fr-10-cream-to-off-white-pages/a/121339-11014.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Tell your buddy dont I repeat dont let the fever get him.

No one can get ripped off that doesn't want to get a steal themselves.

Without greed, there would be zero scams in the world.

If you mean greed on the part of the scammer, then of course. If you are implying that only greedy people get scammed, you are 100% wtong

No one can get scammed that doesn't think they're getting a 'GREAT deal'. You can get ripped off, buying say an AF 15 at a fair price that ends up being restoed. Or being the victim of a quick change artist.

But every scam involves tricking the person into thinking they're getting something for nothing.

From the old wallet drop scam to Nigerian scams-they ALL rely on this greed element.

"Yeah what I do is I clear out storage lockers and the like-and when ah come across somethin valuable-I call all the shops that deal in that item out of state. ~snuk~

If you mean greed on the part of the scammer, then of course. If you are implying that only greedy people get scammed, you are 100% wtong

No one can get scammed that doesn't think they're getting a 'GREAT deal'. You can get ripped off, buying say an AF 15 at a fair price that ends up being restoed. Or being the victim of a quick change artist.

But every scam involves tricking the person into thinking they're getting something for nothing.

From the old wallet drop scam to Nigerian scams-they ALL rely on this greed element.

What about elderly people who are scammed out of money by people pretending to be nieces or nephews stranded overseas? Are they greedy?

It was pretty random. It's a friend of mine that owns a shop and he called him. He's here in Ga, so it's pretty odd with the supposed seller being in Lexington.

Did the guy reach out to your friend through a reply to your friend's Craigslist ad?

If so, I've had a similar experience - only it was with a Tec 38.

who?

Edited by youmechooz

What about elderly people who are scammed out of money by people pretending to be nieces or nephews stranded overseas? Are they greedy?

And I've known more than one person who got scammed buying drugs (paying market prices too)...back in the day! I am somewhat kidding but the upshot is many people get scammed regardless, greed or no greed.

Edited by JohnFranklin