• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Paypal funds retained

33 posts in this topic

I called and they confirmed your guess.

They are blocking the money until the buyer says he got the item.

Then I ask why is that, and the lady on the phone told me is for security reason.

I ask why it happens with this transaction and not with my other hundreds of thransactjons and the lady says she does not know

Now I am not sending nithing if I don't have the funds in my account

I am seriously thinking to cancel the transaction, what do you think?

I would cancel. It's absurd that the buyer should dictate the transaction like that, especially with an eBay seller with an established track record. If such an arrangement became common it would be so easily prone to misuse.

+1 I can't stand it that the buyer has all the power now days with paypal and ebay

The buyer has all the power in any retail venue. Putting all the power in the seller's hands leads to nightmarish scenarios.

The buyer has all the power in any retail venue. Putting all the power in the seller's hands leads to nightmarish scenarios.

There are quite a lot of nightmarish scenarios with the buyer in power too.

This has been one of the reason I choose not to sell on eBay anymore. If I'm selling something there, I want my money before it leaves my hand. Unfortunately there are only two options for getting around that:

1. Tell the buyer you will ship after the funds are released in 21 days. This way they understand and do not file a dispute.

2. If the buyer wants it shipped immediately, then have the buyer cancel the transaction in eBay and continue the sale through Paypal only (which still offers buyer protection) and therefore cut eBay and their fees out of the transaction altogether.

Problem is every seller would need to be on board with this for eBay to change policy and there are too many who refuse to buck the system. Sooner or later eBay will realize that if there are no sellers…there are no buyers.

About a month ago I received payment from a upstanding board member and I was ready to ship and saw that my funds were "pending". I called paypal and the removed it and released my funds to me. They told me it was a random thing they are doing now that they are no longer tied in with ebay. My next 3 payments came in and all pending. Random? hm The funds became available as soon as tracking showed delivered. It hasnt happened since.

I called and they confirmed your guess.

They are blocking the money until the buyer says he got the item.

Then I ask why is that, and the lady on the phone told me is for security reason.

I ask why it happens with this transaction and not with my other hundreds of thransactjons and the lady says she does not know

Now I am not sending nithing if I don't have the funds in my account

I am seriously thinking to cancel the transaction, what do you think?

I would cancel. It's absurd that the buyer should dictate the transaction like that, especially with an eBay seller with an established track record. If such an arrangement became common it would be so easily prone to misuse.

+1 I can't stand it that the buyer has all the power now days with paypal and ebay

This has NOTHING to do with the buyer. He has paid. The funds have been debited from his credit card or checking account or whatever he used to fund the transaction.

The funds are actually in the seller's account. He just can't access them until he "proves" the transaction has been successful. This is ALL Paypal, the buyer isn't even aware that the funds are held because as far as he is concerned they have been debited from his account.

I spoke first with paypal. Apparently this is an ebay thing, not paypal.

Paypal only hold the fund because ebay ask them to do so.

So I chatted with ebay (I have the transcription of the discussion) and when I asked why my funds are on hold, the agent sent me a copy-paste of the ebay-paypal page about funds on hold.

When I asked the exact reason that took the fund of my particular transaction on hold, the agent was not able (or he didn't want) to answer me, and he sayd that MAYBE it was because I was sending the item to the UK.

So I dropped it, because obviously I was not going to have my answer.

What I do not agree with is that I have an immaculate account status, so I don't see any reason to justify the hold on my money. I can undestand that this applies to bad seller with lots of selling problem in his feedback, but in no way you should penalize a good seller

LordRahl says the funds are in the seller account, but he can not touch them. Another way to call it: THE SELLER DOES NOT HAVE THE FUNDS UNTIL THE BUYER CONFIRMS HE GOT THE ITEM.

The buyer can get the item and then pull some kind of shenanigan and guess what, ebay will set in his favor.

No thanks

To me, this is like sending the item without payment, and I'll keep to cancel any transaction that has my funds on hold.

If that means I have to stop selling on ebay, so be it.

I spoke with the buyer, I told him my point and he was very understanding. I refunded his money and he agree to cancel the transaction.
Probably best to use craigslist or iOffer and let them hand you cash.

Even without Paypal Jail if you offer any kind of return policy, say 14 days, might want to let the money sit there anyway, just in case. Make sure your buyer is happy and all that.

It's part of the digital-deal your buyer has a chance to receive their physical item and look things over.

I spoke first with paypal. Apparently this is an ebay thing, not paypal.

Paypal only hold the fund because ebay ask them to do so.

So I chatted with ebay (I have the transcription of the discussion) and when I asked why my funds are on hold, the agent sent me a copy-paste of the ebay-paypal page about funds on hold.

When I asked the exact reason that took the fund of my particular transaction on hold, the agent was not able (or he didn't want) to answer me, and he sayd that MAYBE it was because I was sending the item to the UK.

So I dropped it, because obviously I was not going to have my answer.

What I do not agree with is that I have an immaculate account status, so I don't see any reason to justify the hold on my money. I can undestand that this applies to bad seller with lots of selling problem in his feedback, but in no way you should penalize a good seller

LordRahl says the funds are in the seller account, but he can not touch them. Another way to call it: THE SELLER DOES NOT HAVE THE FUNDS UNTIL THE BUYER CONFIRMS HE GOT THE ITEM.

The buyer can get the item and then pull some kind of shenanigan and guess what, ebay will set in his favor.

No thanks

To me, this is like sending the item without payment, and I'll keep to cancel any transaction that has my funds on hold.

If that means I have to stop selling on ebay, so be it.

This is possible with every single ebay transaction. They don't need to have your funds on hold. If a buyer has a problem with the transaction (real or imagined shenanigans) and they contact ebay, ebay will side with them and you will have to refund. So if you are not willing to take that risk, don't sell on ebay.

I spoke with the buyer, I told him my point and he was very understanding. I refunded his money and he agree to cancel the transaction.
So will you keep selling and refunding? Seems counter productive. I mentioned above that I went through this. It will pass. Deal with it and move on. It's a minor speed bump. Don't take it personal

So will you keep selling and refunding? Seems counter productive. I mentioned above that I went through this. It will pass. Deal with it and move on. It's a minor speed bump. Don't take it personal

Wise advise, I'll do that