• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Old comics with low grade... buy or not?

12 posts in this topic

Hello everybody,

i started to collect CGC Comics in the middle of this year so i'm not an expert.

I'd like to buy a "Big Piece" for my collection but when i watch at very old comics i see that there are grade with average prices and high grade with prohibitive (for me) prices.

After all, when i think about to buy an old comic graded around 7.5 i can verify on the CGC Census that there are a lot of copies of the same comic with 9.4 or 9.6 grade and a few (or one) with 9.8 grade... to buy it or not to buy it? This is the problem!

Do you think it's a good choice to buy a comic anyway, regardless of the grade, if this is a "must have", or it's better to wait to have enough money for buying the high grade???

Thanks for reading it all!

contrary to when others say to buy the best you can afford,...I say the more you spend , the more you can lose,. therefore if you buy a less expensive low grade copy you won't lose as much.

This doesn't sounds good!

I heard a lot of people talking like "CGC Comics ever increase their value" but maybe this is not the truth!?!

What you think about it?

contrary to when others say to buy the best you can afford,...I say the more you spend , the more you can lose,. therefore if you buy a less expensive low grade copy you won't lose as much.

I heard a lot of people talking like "CGC Comics ever increase their value" but maybe this is not the truth!?!

What you think about it?

Not every comic in a slab holds it's value. Just like any raw comic can also lose value.

Buy what you like. Spend what you're comfortable spending. You can't go wrong.

What you think about it?

Not every comic in a slab holds it's value. Just like any raw comic can also lose value.

To this I would add most books in the 9.6-9.8 range are "split hair grades", so I would reason in terms of NM and stay happy with anything between VFNM to NM if you like nice copies.

What you think about it?

To this I would add most books in the 9.6-9.8 range are "split hair grades", so I would reason in terms of NM and stay happy with anything between VFNM to NM if you like nice copies.

I think all you guys are right!

Just sometimes it feels like "Damn! I want this 9.8!!!" :mad:

I often buy low grade keys unless it's one of my top books. If I really like a book and its presentable, why drop 20x more if your happy with it. I don't mind a long as it's a top key, just sold a FF 1 and in my opnion it looked better than any 3.0s and lower. At end of the day, it's whatever you like and how you want your collection to be in years to come. If you are going to look to upgrade they day after you get it, than don't do it. But if your happy and see that book in your collection for years to come you should go for it

And don't listen to insufficiently_thoughtful_persons who try to talk mess about a low grade if it's a top key, had some fool at a convention try to run his mouth about my 1.0 Amazing Fantasy 15. Simply asked him if he had an Amazing Fantasy 15, of course said no and walked away quietly.

My .5 SS Amazing fantasy 15 towers over everything else in my collection by at least double. Don't be afraid to buy low grade mega keys if that's what you can afford. It's better than not having your favorite books at all. I just try to stay away from books that like they got hit by a car. My af15 is missing the non spiderman pages so it presents nice and the main story is complete