• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Magazines with Comic books bound in.

31 posts in this topic

How about a thread with magazines with regular comic books that where added/bound in, but removeable. Here's a few that comes to mind.

Issues of Raw has the Maus comic.

There's a issue of Surfer that had a comic.

There's an issue of Hustler that had a R. Crumb comic bound in.

There's another that I'm forgetting that had an issue of Gory Stories Quarterly #2 1/2 bound in.

I know that an issue of Apple Pie had part of Real War Comix in it, but it was part of the magazine, not an addition.

Edited by 50 Cent #II (1st)

While not as 'underground' as your examples, Marvel published four issues of Pro Action magazine (1994ish). Focused on the NFL, this was during the time when there was a lot of crossover between superheroes and athletes, both in comics and trading cards. There were two bound-in Spider-Man comics & two X-Men comics.

Edited by Ant-Man

I never heard of an issue of Hustler with a Crumb comic in it. Are you thinking of the issue of Cheri with Carload o' Comics?

Also it's Real World Comix in the Issue of Apple Pie.

Corpsemeat #2 has a Savage Pencil mini in it - also called Corpsemeat IIRC.

I'm sure there are other mags with mini-comics especially bound in, but I can't think of them off-hand.

It is indeed Cheri that had the Crumb Carload excerpt bound in.

My favorites, though, are the 8 Mad Specials that came out from around 1972-80 that had issues of The Nostalgic Mad bound in. I recently bought beater copies that still had the inserts intact and then ripped out the comics and had them bound into hardcover, because they were my first taste of EC in what looked like their original comic book form.

Also, I think just about every issue of National Lampoon qualifies, but probably not for the same reasons this thread means.....

I never heard of an issue of Hustler with a Crumb comic in it. Are you thinking of the issue of Cheri with Carload o' Comics?

I'm sure there are other mags with mini-comics especially bound in, but I can't think of them off-hand.

Thanks for the correction, yes it was Cheri (does your copies have the Holiday wrapper around it?).

Wonder if I got these (RAW is too big) graded, how the CGC would handle the comic? Give it a 2nd grade doesn't seem like something I've seen before.

Thanks for the correction, yes it was Cheri (does your copies have the Holiday wrapper around it?).

Yes

It is indeed Cheri that had the Crumb Carload excerpt bound in.

My favorites, though, are the 8 Mad Specials that came out from around 1972-80 that had issues of The Nostalgic Mad bound in. I recently bought beater copies that still had the inserts intact and then ripped out the comics and had them bound into hardcover, because they were my first taste of EC in what looked like their original comic book form.

Also, I think just about every issue of National Lampoon qualifies, but probably not for the same reasons this thread means.....

I remember those Mad specials - it was so cool that they had those facsimile Mad comics in them. Until then I'd only seen the stories reprinted in B/W in the paperbacks. Kid's today don't know how good they have it with all the various reprint books, back in the day we had to take them where we found them, and each one seemed special - a window into comics history - even if it was some dopey GA Atom story in the back of a DC 100 pager.

Wonder if I got these (RAW is too big) graded, how the CGC would handle the comic? Give it a 2nd grade doesn't seem like something I've seen before.

If you recall, the same question sort of came up in the underground thread in reference to the Mouse insert that sold at Heritage last month. When removed from RAW magazine, CGC treats the insert as a standalone comic; sometimes the label notes that it is an insert (as with the recent CGC 8.0 on Heritage), and sometimes it doesn't (as with the CGC 9.4 currently on ebay). As you mention, RAW is too big to have graded, but let's say someone submits a Surfer Vol. 12 #6 without the Tales from the Tube insert, or a December '76 issue of Cheri without the Carload O' Comics insert: Would CGC grade those magazines as complete with a mere notation on the label that the insert is missing? Probably not. It's an interesting question to consider how CGC might handle a complete copy of Surfer or Cheri with the comic still attached. Personally, I would like to see the label make mention of the fact that the magazine contains a comic, but, given that the comic is part of the magazine, it wouldn't really make sense to assign it a separate grade. Then again, in light of the policy regarding the Mouse insert, perhaps CGC would assign the insert a second grade.

We all know that double covers receive two grades, but if the outside cover is removed and resubmitted for grading, it will obviously be deemed incomplete (the sticker on the label will simply read CVR). Presumably, copies of Surfer or Cheri without their respective inserts would also be deemed incomplete. At least there would appear to be some consistency here in that what is removed from the outside is always what's rendered incomplete in the act of removing; whether it is the second cover removed from a double covered comic, or the magazine from which the insert is removed. But magazines are not the covers of the comics that are contained within them, so any perceived consistency on the part of CGC gleaned from this analogy would appear to be ill-considered.

Edited by erehwon

If you recall, the same question sort of came up in the underground thread in reference to the Mouse insert that sold at Heritage last month. When removed from RAW magazine, CGC treats the insert as a standalone comic; sometimes the label notes that it is an insert (as with the recent CGC 8.0 on Heritage), and sometimes it doesn't (as with the CGC 9.4 currently on ebay). As you mention, RAW is too big to have graded, but let's say someone submits a Surfer Vol. 12 #6 without the Tales from the Tube insert, or a December '76 issue of Cheri without the Carload O' Comics insert: Would CGC grade those magazines as complete with a mere notation on the label that the insert is missing? Probably not. It's an interesting question to consider how CGC might handle a complete copy of Surfer or Cheri with the comic still attached. Personally, I would like to see the label make mention of the fact that the magazine contains a comic, but, given that the comic is part of the magazine, it wouldn't really make sense to assign it a separate grade. Then again, in light of the policy regarding the Mouse insert, perhaps CGC would assign the insert a second grade.

We all know that double covers receive two grades, but if the outside cover is removed and resubmitted for grading, it will obviously be deemed incomplete (the sticker on the label will simply read CVR). Presumably, copies of Surfer or Cheri without their respective inserts would also be deemed incomplete. At least there would appear to be some consistency here in that what is removed from the outside is always what's rendered incomplete in the act of removing; whether it is the second cover removed from a double covered comic, or the magazine from which the insert is removed. But magazines are not the covers of the comics that are contained within them, so any perceived consistency on the part of CGC gleaned from this analogy would appear to be ill-considered.

But doesn't CGC also grade magazines now also, so doesn't the magazine get a grade and the removable but bound in comic would get a grade if submitted separately, so shouldn't one of these complete mags get a grade and then a second grade for the comic mentioned on the label? I should submit my copies to see how it would be handled. Still haven't remembered the other magazine title somewhere in my boxes behind other boxes. Also, wonder if the Cheri holiday wrapper would be included in the slab and if that would be noted on the label.

But doesn't CGC also grade magazines now also, so doesn't the magazine get a grade and the removable but bound in comic would get a grade if submitted separately, so shouldn't one of these complete mags get a grade and then a second grade for the comic mentioned on the label? I should submit my copies to see how it would be handled. Still haven't remembered the other magazine title somewhere in my boxes behind other boxes. Also, wonder if the Cheri holiday wrapper would be included in the slab and if that would be noted on the label.

Sorry to disagree but if the insert and the magazine the insert was attached to are separated, I don't even understand why it's under any consideration other than both are to be designated as 'mutilated'. As a collector, I won't even consider a magazine with missing elements as anything other than a reading copy. CGC can grade these items until the cows come home. I'll never buy one or even look for one if I know in advance there is a completeness issue. 1 + 1 does not equal 1 in this case, unless the 1 is made up of both halves attached in the right place. (That's collector math for those of you chomping at the bit for a 'conversation') Therefore I find this whole discussion of no use, but I'm also a bit of a masochist so this is why I care to interject. Sometimes I get off on wasting my time. Do let us know, though, 50, how it all turns out. I think they should fashion their poster slabs for RAW sized mags.

EDIT: Not sure how I'd want the band for my copy of Cheri designated and displayed. I suppose I would be okay if it were removed and laid in at the back of the slab so it could be viewed when examining the reverse of the slabbed mag, but even then I'm not sure that somehow it wouldn't get lost in the transaction and I'd never see it again. It would cause me stress to trust it to a party that is probably not aware of it's importance.

Edited by wpbooks

I just remembered, Raw #1 had Spiegelman's Two-Fisted Painters as a comic insert.

My feeling is that these inserts could be graded separately, but with a qualified grade indicating they were removed from another comic or magazine. In the case of magazines missing the inserts, they should be labeled as incomplete.

It' s a little tricky, because comics once included with record, toys and taped to cereal boxes are graded as separate entities, but my feeling is if they came included as part of a magazine, and certainly a larger comic, they are more part of the whole, than merely as an extra or premium.

What about magazines that came with loose inserts? I think Comic Art had an issue with a loose insert. Would this be graded without the loose insert as incomplete?

If it wasn't I'd want to know why. It's part of the original package. If the insert isn't present, I'm not interested. All my copies have them, as well as the booklets issued with the later squarebound issues. In fact when I had the run bound into two volumes (a second run) I had pockets made for the inside covers so the inserts could be laid in. They are essential to the collectibility of the mags. (Only issue without an insert is #7)

Agreed, it would be very interesting to see what CGC would do with a complete issue of Cheri... But I would also have misgivings about the wrapper surviving the encapsulation process.

50, would love to hear what the results are should you decide to submit your issue.

wpbooks, I like the idea of fashioning the poster slabs for grading RAW sized mags... Then we could also get Foopgoop Frolics, Kaz's Buzz Bomb, and maybe even Vaughn Bode's Zooks graded.

The discussion of loose inserts reminds me of YPS, one of my favorite comics growing up as a kid in Switzerland. The inserts were ridiculous. Every issue was polybagged and basically included a deluxe sized toy. Here's a few example:

yps238.jpg

yps211.jpgyps214.jpg

yps_510_star_wars_kenner.jpg

rjpb, you bring up a good point about the comics included with toys, records, and in cereal boxes, and how they are rightly designated as separate entities from the items they came with when graded by CGC.

Things start to get really murky when we are grading magazines that include a half dozen inserts--some of which might not be attached to the magazine or not even made of paper (e.g., CDs, flexi discs, or toys as with YPS). Magazines and comics that include loose inserts are often polybagged, and, as can be gleaned from the policy on some modern polybagged books, CGC does not consider the loose items that come inside pollybags as determinative of the grade of the comic removed from polybags: As with the modern book Superman #75 for example, CGC will remove the comic from the bag for grading, and the presence or absence of the card and poster that came with the comic in the ploybag bares no consequence on the grade the comic receives.

A lot of the value of YPS is contingent on the comic still being sealed in its polybag, so perhaps AFA would be the more appropriate venue for grading (particularly for that snazzy issue with the Star Wars figure insert).

Edited by erehwon

That reminds me, how does CGC handle grading books with the flexi-disc records removed? I believe Nexus #3 had one, is the book incomplete according to them without it or do they grade it but note it on the label the flexi-disc is removed? You'd think so, but it's not paper and what if it's scratched in the book, does that lower the grade even though they don't grade records?

Also, I wonder how CGC would handle the grading of a Library of Congress Sample File copy of a book.