• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New podcast/video from Felix Comic Art (UPDATED 1/3/17!)
6 6

1,647 posts in this topic

Instead of starting a new thread every time I have a new episode or video to announce, I'm just going to update this thread.

Which means the latest episode of The Felix Comic Art Podcast is up! Our guest this time is super-collector David Mandel. David was a writer, producer, and director on SEINFELD and CURB YOUR ENTHUSIASM, and he is now the showrunner for VEEP. But who cares about all that...more importantly, he's put together an unbelievable comic art collection! Listen as he shares stories about his early collecting days, winning the DARK KNIGHT RETURNS splash (yes, THAT splash), and his enemies list! Here's the link:

http://felixcomicart.libsyn.com/

And when you're done, check out this companion video on our YouTube channel where David does a show-and-tell with a few of his pieces:

Our next episode will be up in February with another special guest. In the meantime, if you have any questions about the first two episodes, Felix Comic Art, or the hobby in general, shoot me an e-mail. If I have time, I'll do a bonus episode where I answer them. Thanks for listening, and enjoy!

Felix

www.felixcomicart.com

34 mins in. Another great one. Very nice "free" service you are doing for all fans, but us old(er) timers...it's magic. Dave was a legend even in the late 90s.

So where I'm at the conversation just segued from covers vs. panel pages (your Moneyball scenario) to prices of a specific comic vs. the originals from that comic (or more accurately, the 'spread' being so wide, back then especially)...very good stuff for everybody here. The culture, not just yourself, Dave (SW stuff), myself, etc is moving ever-toward 'high touch' and (I think) we'll see a lot left behind for the vultures, as a result. Sort of like the big historic reset at OPG from the old grading spread of 1 - 2 - 3 to 1 - 3 - 7 (or whatever it is now, I'm not into books at all anymore). But the point being that only high grade CGCs really 'matter' and the rest is tradpaperbacked to death or available online really cheap...the experience is easily available...no need to go 'low touch' and get a ratty coverless copy of FF#1 (all imo of course). Same with art, though I think "all art" is higher(er?) touch than comics (in general) and I'm not sure what I think about covers vs. panels and the future of that relationship (even as you and Dave disagree there too).

Oh and by "high touch", in relation to collectibles...I mean something that has a "story" that can be shared with other fans, collectors, even neighbors (outside the hobby)...not the usual sense of a business model that's highly attuned to customers. And really in that regard (story) nothing trumps sharing stories about things that are unique and/or that nobody has ever seen before. Comic art is pretty huge on that factor. Same with vintage bootleg SW stuff (which I dabbled in for a while...it is hella fun).

Edited by vodou

TERRY!! No spoiler ;(

I'm still working in the interview, saving dessert for after I finish my peas ;0

re: Things you want and then things you really want. So true Dave's comments there. It used to be one could very easily be an accidental collector, just running around buying up whatever looked "cool" in quantity. This decade you really cannot be an accidental collector. Really not even last decade.

Nearing the end. re: If you want to build a collection with key pieces... I think perhaps what some of us old-timers forget is that three or four pieces can be a collection too. And a Great Collection even. It doesn't have to be hundreds of key pieces. Those of us buying heavily in the nineties, "buying by the inch" (love that), naturally compare today to then and feel things have changed. But they haven't. Quality is quality. We just had it really good then where "our" quality (70s/80s) wasn't appreciated or valued fully, we got in early enough to make waves (in my case at least) with very modest means. Simply mathematically impossible (for me) at today's prices to recreate even 25% of my collection, even if spread over fifteen or twenty years of spending.

Another great podcast (thumbs u

Insightful statement (for us modern OA collectors) that key panel pages may one day held in more esteem since many modern books are read via trade these days. I kept track of what I read in 2015 for the '1000 books in a year' challenge and found that i read approximately 40% via TPB.

Also, good to hear stories from the veterans. I started collecting OA in 2010, so some of the prices I'm hearing from the 90's are hard to believe.

Edited by Hekla

Thanks all, glad you guys are enjoying it!

34 mins in. Another great one. Very nice "free" service you are doing for all fans, but us old(er) timers...it's magic. Dave was a legend even in the late 90s.

So where I'm at the conversation just segued from covers vs. panel pages (your Moneyball scenario) to prices of a specific comic vs. the originals from that comic (or more accurately, the 'spread' being so wide, back then especially)...very good stuff for everybody here. The culture, not just yourself, Dave (SW stuff), myself, etc is moving ever-toward 'high touch' and (I think) we'll see a lot left behind for the vultures, as a result. Sort of like the big historic reset at OPG from the old grading spread of 1 - 2 - 3 to 1 - 3 - 7 (or whatever it is now, I'm not into books at all anymore). But the point being that only high grade CGCs really 'matter' and the rest is tradpaperbacked to death or available online really cheap...the experience is easily available...no need to go 'low touch' and get a ratty coverless copy of FF#1 (all imo of course). Same with art, though I think "all art" is higher(er?) touch than comics (in general) and I'm not sure what I think about covers vs. panels and the future of that relationship (even as you and Dave disagree there too).

Oh and by "high touch", in relation to collectibles...I mean something that has a "story" that can be shared with other fans, collectors, even neighbors (outside the hobby)...not the usual sense of a business model that's highly attuned to customers. And really in that regard (story) nothing trumps sharing stories about things that are unique and/or that nobody has ever seen before. Comic art is pretty huge on that factor. Same with vintage bootleg SW stuff (which I dabbled in for a while...it is hella fun).

This (if I'm reading this right) is actually something that comes up in the next podcast, which was just recorded this weekend. Although I haven't listened to the audio yet, so not sure it made it since we had a technical issue in the middle of it (dead battery). :pullhair:

Nearing the end. re: If you want to build a collection with key pieces... I think perhaps what some of us old-timers forget is that three or four pieces can be a collection too. And a Great Collection even. It doesn't have to be hundreds of key pieces. Those of us buying heavily in the nineties, "buying by the inch" (love that), naturally compare today to then and feel things have changed. But they haven't. Quality is quality. We just had it really good then where "our" quality (70s/80s) wasn't appreciated or valued fully, we got in early enough to make waves (in my case at least) with very modest means. Simply mathematically impossible (for me) at today's prices to recreate even 25% of my collection, even if spread over fifteen or twenty years of spending.

Yes, there are great collections of all sizes. David Mandel's collection is just ridiculous...freakish. There are a few other collections like that, too, but my goal is to talk to interesting collectors, not just those with giant collections. I hope that becomes more evident as I go along.

Another great podcast (thumbs u

Insightful statement (for us modern OA collectors) that key panel pages may one day held in more esteem since many modern books are read via trade these days. I kept track of what I read in 2015 for the '1000 books in a year' challenge and found that i read approximately 40% via TPB.

I've made that point a few times here on the boards before. I worry about repeating myself, so I'm glad it was new to one person, at least! Thanks for listening!