New podcast/video from Felix Comic Art (UPDATED 1/3/17!)
6 6

1,392 posts in this topic

3,870 posts
9 hours ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

$45 in 9.8. 

I don’t know, Felix. I remember that time you called Ramon Villalobos “the Mexican Jim Lee” and then there was a run on your RV inventory. 

Are people really this stupid with their extra money earmarked toward speculative ROI? Talk about herd behavior (the very definition of buy high, sell higher). Ha ha. Fools and their money...but awesome for Ramon moving some back art that was otherwise gathering dust.

3,870 posts
3 hours ago, delekkerste said:

...when I read these comparisons of younger talent to older talent, I don't infer anything about the potential for comparable financial gain.  For those who say otherwise, isn't that pretty much implicitly assuming that talent cannot be compared across generations without a discussion of $$$?  I don't agree with that at all. 

Correct. The very definition of 'overlooked artist' s that his work is incredible but his market value (really more 'price' than value) doesn't reflect that. So, RabidFerret and *Spoon* Shoveler ( lol ) are you two ready to acknowledge that there is no such thing as overlooked artists or art? I'm waiting...

651 posts
7 minutes ago, vodou said:

Are people really this stupid with their extra money earmarked toward speculative ROI? Talk about herd behavior (the very definition of buy high, sell higher). Ha ha. Fools and their money...but awesome for Ramon moving some back art that was otherwise gathering dust.

Nah, it was a joke, an ironic statement. That was the point, that just because his rep compares him to Jim Lee, it doesn’t mean that it’s a hot stock tip that moves inventory. Ramon’s market has yet to catch up with, say, DWJ or Pitarra, so the dedicated few who buy Ramon’s art have to be buying for some reason other than speculation. I truly believe that the majority of Felix’s clientele who buy Ramon’s art with passion are buying DWJ with equal passion and not necessarily with future dollar signs in their eyeballs; therefore, the art sells itself, it doesn’t need a messenger. 

3,870 posts
1 minute ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

Nah, it was a joke, an ironic statement. That was the point, that just because his rep compares him to Jim Lee, it doesn’t mean that it’s a hot stock tip that moves inventory. Ramon’s market has yet to catch up with, say, DWJ or Pitarra, so the dedicated few who buy Ramon’s art have to be buying for some reason other than speculation. I truly believe that the majority of Felix’s clientele who buy Ramon’s art with passion are buying DWJ with equal passion and not necessarily with future dollar signs in their eyeballs; therefore, the art sells itself, it doesn’t need a messenger. 

Question: to those that follow the re-sale of Extremity art (it came up recently), are they re-selling (as opposed to 'offered for') for significantly more? I've found that Felix has an uncanny sense of how to extract exactly the right price out of the market, leaving little back for quick speculation. I define quick as less than one year hold time, longer than that and one is more a fan that's selling that a flipper (though perhaps still a speculator in the sense of 'buy three, one to keep, two to sell later to pay for the one to keep' line of thinking).

1,740 posts
18 minutes ago, vodou said:

Question: to those that follow the re-sale of Extremity art (it came up recently), are they re-selling (as opposed to 'offered for') for significantly more? I've found that Felix has an uncanny sense of how to extract exactly the right price out of the market, leaving little back for quick speculation. I define quick as less than one year hold time, longer than that and one is more a fan that's selling that a flipper (though perhaps still a speculator in the sense of 'buy three, one to keep, two to sell later to pay for the one to keep' line of thinking).

I saw one collector put up an Extremity page for, probably, less than what Felix sold it for. But it wasn't a flip attempt, I think the guy just needed cash. I didn't see a lot of takers for it, and this was on a Facebook OA group.

1,255 posts
3 hours ago, comix4fun said:

2) Had you said Moore initially that would make sense....but you sent me back to the TPB searching for the Watchmen crossover in Supes Ann 11. lol 

Ug. This just reminded me of something I saw the other day....

https://nerdist.com/new-doomsday-clock-art-teases-a-role-for-watchmens-rorschach/

5,413 posts
3 hours ago, MYNAMEISLEGION said:

There's an element of"wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more" to all this, that's getting beaten to death here, that Felix is not going to concede because he's hasn't been caught red handed (yet!) but the onus is the Shoveler to dig up a concrete example (see what I did there???)

Ha! Yes, I'm still not sure what the anger was about? That I'm overhyping the art to appeal to speculators? Because if that's the case, then Sean Murphy IS actually doing that, but The Shoveler conveniently sidesteps that issue...

Or is that I'm a hypocrite? That I say I'm anti-speculation, but I'm actually a speculator myself? Have these guys seen my collection? If not, my Lowry is a snapshot:

http://www.comicartfans.com/mylowry.asp?gsub=617

Let's take stock (haha!)...a '70s newspaper strip(!)...an unknown-to-Americans European panel page...a cover with an Asian protagonist...TWO commissions...

Yeah...so much speculation. I'm gonna be RIIIIICCCHHH! $$$$$$$!!!!!

lol

(Vote for my pieces.)

5,413 posts
21 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

5a58e8c290bde_yodaadvice.PNG.6a0a73094823df47cc76311875279b06.PNG

Right? It's like a board psychology test: What first comes to mind when you see BORN AGAIN and YEAR ONE?

The Shoveler: "Miller's most lucrative high-water marks."

Rabid Ferret: "Financially successful item from 30 years in the past."

Me: Respectively, the greatest DD story ever, and the greatest Batman origin story ever.

(shrug)

1,740 posts

As a modern art collector, there is something fun about buying new art from books that are still ongoing, or just concluded. Felix capitalizes on that, which he should.

1,740 posts
15 minutes ago, Nexus said:

Right? It's like a board psychology test: What first comes to mind when you see BORN AGAIN and YEAR ONE?

The Shoveler: "Miller's most lucrative high-water marks."

Rabid Ferret: "Financially successful item from 30 years in the past."

Me: Respectively, the greatest DD story ever, and the greatest Batman origin story ever.

(shrug)

Me: "Two story arcs that came out a couple of years after I stopped collecting comics back in the 1980's that I never (mostly) read, and have heard a lot of hype about. Although, I do remember liking this 'new' Mazzuchelli guy drawing Daredevil."

As an aside: I didn't read TDKR until 30+ years after it was initially published. And I didn't read watchmen until the movie was about to come out. I recently picked up some of the DD Born Again comics at a local shop, and plan on reading them eventually. Have read only a few pages of Batman Year One. So, I do NOT have the WM, TDKR, Born Again or Year One nostalgia a LOT of collectors have. Ditto for Kraven's Last Hunt. MISSED ALL OF IT the first go around. Rocketeer? American Flagg? Cerebus: High Society and Church and Stat (which, IMHO, are better than anything the Big Two put out in the 80's, Watchmen perhaps excepted)? Yeah. I'm in.

Edited by PhilipB2k17

5,413 posts
42 minutes ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

Jay, you've been following Felix Comic Art from the beginning (thank you!). If you haven't read all my e-mail newsletters, can I say you've at least read most of them? Overall, do you feel I encourage speculation?

I consider you to be a fairly typical buyer, in terms of profile: Someone who picks up a piece here or there that catches their eye. When they can afford it. I don't see speculation as a driver. I've already laid out why I don't believe speculation is why we've sold a lot of art to a lot of collectors. And here you are...pretty much what I was talking about. So thanks!

5,413 posts
1 hour ago, vodou said:

THANK YOU. That's right, there's no meat on the bone for flipping, to start. Speculation almost always equals flipping in this hobby. Almost none of the art I'm selling is getting resold, let alone flipped. Now, if Rabid Ferret wants to move the goal posts ("they're not flippers, they're LONG-TERM speculators!")...well, I can't prove they're not. But none of this is what we most commonly recognize as buying for flipping or speculation. Not complete issues. Not commissions.

If someone's world view of this hobby is to see speculation and $$$ everywhere they look...that really isn't my problem.

5,413 posts
24 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Me: "Two story arcs that came out a couple of years after I stopped collecting comics back in the 1980's that I never (mostly) read, and have heard a lot of hype about. Although, I do remember liking this 'new' Mazzuchelli guy drawing Daredevil."

As an aside: I didn't read TDKR until 30+ years after it was initially published. And I didn't read watchmen until the movie was about to come out. I recently picked up some of the DD Born Again comics at a local shop, and plan on reading them eventually. Have read only a few pages of Batman Year One. So, I do NOT have the WM, TDKR, Born Again or Year One nostalgia a LOT of collectors have. Ditto for Kraven's Last Hunt. MISSED ALL OF IT the first go around. Rocketeer? American Flagg? Cerebus: High Society and Church and Stat (which, IMHO, are better than anything the Big Two put out in the 80's, Watchmen perhaps excepted)? Yeah. I'm in.

I'll give my old favorites a re-read every few years. I can be objective...not all of it holds up. But YEAR ONE and BORN AGAIN do. Recommend with no reservations.

I'll even admit that the ending of BA still chokes me up. :cry:

570 posts
1 hour ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

1 hour ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

I saw one collector put up an Extremity page for, probably, less than what Felix sold it for. But it wasn't a flip attempt, I think the guy just needed cash. I didn't see a lot of takers for it, and this was on a Facebook OA group.

I got that page, and yes, exactly as you mention - selling for non art reasons and definitely not profit. I think he lost money on it actually

1,374 posts
5 hours ago, delekkerste said:

Yep, when I read these comparisons of younger talent to older talent, I don't infer anything about the potential for comparable financial gain.  For those who say otherwise, isn't that pretty much implicitly assuming that talent cannot be compared across generations without a discussion of $$$?  I don't agree with that at all.  

As for the question of why make comparisons to well-known (re: expensive) works from the past as opposed to "wonderful but worthless books from the past"...well, how many examples of the latter are there where the collector base/marketplace has somehow overlooked supremely talented artists/works for 30-40 years?  Somehow I don't think saying that Tradd Moore's Venom #150 could be "this generation's Strikeforce: Morituri #20" quite does his work justice.  I think many/most would agree that Tradd is an exceptional talent, so, of course any comparison has to be with a high-profile, very well-regarded artist & book (whose value it is only normal the market will have realized).

In any case, anyone who's listened to Felix's podcasts will have heard the very consistent message he has delivered vis-a-vis speculating and investing in original comic book art loud and clear.   

Hey hey hey, back way the F off of any Strikeforce Morituri shaming Mr. Park.  It's near and dear to my heart.

:makepoint:

lol

4,964 posts

Wow... I work all day without checking the boards and it's all Jets and Sharks up in here.

5 hours ago, delekkerste said:

Yep, when I read these comparisons of younger talent to older talent, I don't infer anything about the potential for comparable financial gain.  For those who say otherwise, isn't that pretty much implicitly assuming that talent cannot be compared across generations without a discussion of $$$?  I don't agree with that at all.  

As for the question of why make comparisons to well-known (re: expensive) works from the past as opposed to "wonderful but worthless books from the past"...well, how many examples of the latter are there where the collector base/marketplace has somehow overlooked supremely talented artists/works for 30-40 years?  Somehow I don't think saying that Tradd Moore's Venom #150 could be "this generation's Strikeforce: Morituri #20" quite does his work justice.  I think many/most would agree that Tradd is an exceptional talent, so, of course any comparison has to be with a high-profile, very well-regarded artist & book (whose value it is only normal the market will have realized).

In any case, anyone who's listened to Felix's podcasts will have heard the very consistent message he has delivered vis-a-vis speculating and investing in original comic book art loud and clear.   

More and more people are turned off by the language of advertisement. Regardless of what Felix means, a growing subset of people are going to assume the worst, because money. More reasonable people may shrug and let it slide, but I think many could realistically say why not blast the message to the masses in the form of images of the art, let it speak for itself. Those of us that enjoy reading commentary on these boards are probably interested to hear Felix compare modern artists to some of the greats of the past, but again, the language of advertisements will ruffle some feathers. 

The only solution... @Nexus has to post more regularly and frequently discuss artists he doesn't rep in positive terms so he can point to that as defense! Or... people could just take him at his word when he tells them what he means... since as far as I know, he's a stand up guy and doesn't have a reputation as a liar.

Finally... who the heck compares Tradd to McFarlane? Is it an initials thing?

Half of the time I think I need to come out from under my rock more often, then the remaining half of the time, I hear things like this and feel quite content there.

4,964 posts
1 minute ago, stinkininkin said:

Hey, if there's a Mexican Jim Lee, is there also a Mexican Scott Williams?  Asking for a friend.

Look for a Scott Guillermo.

305 posts
12 hours ago, Nexus said:

Please show me the BOOK that sold for $10K. Because that's what you said, "books".

This entire thread is about comic art. "Books" was clearly referencing the specific books you were mentioning such as Dark Knight, Born Again, Dr Strange 55, Year One, etc.

Please stop intentionally misreading intent.