• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New podcast/video from Felix Comic Art (UPDATED 1/3/17!)
6 6

1,661 posts in this topic

Did I miss a podcast or is Gen’s still the latest?

As for the format, etc., I like to give these my undivided attention – I watch them when my kids aren’t around. I like to tool around the CAF gallery of the person being interviewed asI enjoy looking at the artwork being discussed. I always listen to the podcast first and then watch the video. As for length, I would like to see more on the Youtube videos. As an art junkie, I can’t really get too much art. As for the interview, I agree with the sentiment that it could go on as long as there is interesting material to talk about. Even after one hour, I am usually still ready for more – maybe chunk the interview into multiple parts if you are trying to keep to an hour. In short, the more, the better – I will tune in for the duration.

Did I miss a podcast or is Gen’s still the latest?

As for the format, etc., I like to give these my undivided attention – I watch them when my kids aren’t around. I like to tool around the CAF gallery of the person being interviewed asI enjoy looking at the artwork being discussed. I always listen to the podcast first and then watch the video. As for length, I would like to see more on the Youtube videos. As an art junkie, I can’t really get too much art. As for the interview, I agree with the sentiment that it could go on as long as there is interesting material to talk about. Even after one hour, I am usually still ready for more – maybe chunk the interview into multiple parts if you are trying to keep to an hour. In short, the more, the better – I will tune in for the duration.

If you meant Glen then no, there's a newer episode - a discussion with Nick Dragotta.

Thanks for bringing the technical issue to my attention. I've let my friend who records the podcasts know about it. Seems to be an issue that's confined to bluetooth, but he'll work on it for the next episode.

I've got the next two recorded and I'm excited to release them. So April and May are set. I should have June's episode done at ECCC. For those who are asking for a longer show, this is the one I'm planning to experiment with, both in running time and format. Thanks for listening and I look forward to the feedback!

The latest episode is up!

http://felixcomicart.libsyn.com/

Guest this month is John Butler. He's one of the best guys I've met in the hobby, and he's also quietly put together an incredible collection (which he mostly keeps under wraps).

Here's his show-and-tell video:

This one turned out especially fun, thanks again to him for sharing. Enjoy!

Heh. I'm back again (already). "Size matters, huh?" It sure does when you've already been collecting larger paintings; it gets to be a default setting quick. John didn't go there specifically but I know he would've had a different answer if he'd chased Frazettas first and early. The move from small and even LA comic art to Frazetta's rather smallish oils is a natural progression. Very hard to go backwards from gallery scale down!

Guest this month is John Butler. He's one of the best guys I've met in the hobby, and he's also quietly put together an incredible collection (which he mostly keeps under wraps).

I haven't listened to the podcast yet, but I watched the video, and it was awesome and heartbreaking! John Butler is a bit of an art soul-mate of mine. We love all the same stuff! In the video, he shows the Wrightson Frankenstein plate, the Spidey 101 cover and the Ploog WWBN cover, and all three of these were in my cross hairs at the time he acquired them and none of them landed in my collection, even though they are all grail worthy to me. I know they are in a good home, but it stung a little to see these come up one by one on the video, knowing that these could have been mine, but denied each and every time. At the very least, it's got me chomping at the bit to listen to the podcast with John. Great job Felix!!!

Scott

Felix,

Another great podcast and video. Really interesting to hear how collectors started out. John thanks for taking part in another cool segment of Felix Comic Art Podcast.

John Butler is a great guy...good ole' Don Lineberger. He was a bluegrass banjo playing master. Used to exchange letters with him and he'd do all these crazy drawings on the outside of the envelop...he'd include polaroid photos of his art and his banjos. Talking with him on the phone was quite an experience...another good guy with a good soul...I miss him. Rest in Peace Don and thanks for the Wrightson, Evans, and Frazetta art...

Hey Felix,

Any plans for some international interviews, or of some folks who are a bit newer to the game (the eBay era and after)? It's great hearing from the likes of John, Dave Mandel and others, but it would be nice to get a mix of some folks who mainly aim at modern, and those that have a vastly different perspective due to their geography.

Thanks, and keep them coming!

Simon

John is as cool as a cucumber. We run in similar circles and know a lot of the same artists. I never tire of seeing pieces from his crazily well curated collection. He's also got great taste in many other non-comic artists, and monsters, and cars and... like I said, cool cat.

Another great podcast Felix.

Great series so far Felix, I listened to all 5 in the past couple of weeks when I discovered it in this forum. I don't own any comic OA, but it is definitely on my radar after seeing how much enjoyment you all get from the hobby. I used to be an aspiring artist when I was a kid/teenager so I definitely appreciate original works of art.

Thanks everyone! Appreciate the feedback. Just got back from ECCC where I talked to a long-time collector for the June episode, someone who has helped me approach my collection in ways I hadn't considered. I hope listeners find his take on collecting helpful, as well.

Any plans for some international interviews, or of some folks who are a bit newer to the game (the eBay era and after)? It's great hearing from the likes of John, Dave Mandel and others, but it would be nice to get a mix of some folks who mainly aim at modern, and those that have a vastly different perspective due to their geography.

As a matter of fact...yes! Got one planned for 2017 that will fit this bill. I'm mostly talking to established collectors, but I'll also talk to newer guys along the way, too.

Always open to suggestions, feel free to PM me.

Another great episode Felix, thanks. Any way to find out more information on the auction house shilling that you mentioned in the latest episode? Searching around and can't seem to find any information on that, thanks.