• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stewart McKenny art valuation question

17 posts in this topic

I've finally started my own "What's it worth?" thread :acclaim:

An artist friend of mine, Stewart McKenny , has had some art water damaged :cry: and is looking for some valuation on the pages. Since he doesn't sell a lot of his art there isn't much market data out there ( :hi: ALXJHNSN ).

So, I'm just looking for some input from the subject matter experts on the boards. If you were t see these pages for sale on a dealer's site or CAF what price would you expect to see on them. I get it, there are a hundred million variables to consider, just give me your ballpark :baiting: . There's also not a lot of shading on the pages, so we can skip that :shy:

I'd say between $50-75 per page before the water damage, after maybe $25? The Cap Splash page he may be able to get $100+ for. Modern pages are a tough sell when it's not a well known artist. For comparisons sake, John Romita JR (a VERY well known artist) lists his Captain America pages on Artist Choice and most of the interior pages are around $100. O and those pages are just sitting there, which indicates that the market thinks that price is too high.

Jay, thanks for the feedback. My friend is just looking for the pre-damage value for insurance purposes.

Maybe no one's buying the JRjr pages because no one likes him :jokealert:

Stewart isn't well known in the U.S., but he's quite popular in his native Australia. Maybe with the publishing of these books he'll gain a larger audience here.

Even a great well known artist like Michael Lark you can find tons of pages for $75. I agree with the analysis that modern comic artists unless they are some kind of legend don't sell for much.

I'd say between $50-75 per page before the water damage, after maybe $25? The Cap Splash page he may be able to get $100+ for. Modern pages are a tough sell when it's not a well known artist. For comparisons sake, John Romita JR (a VERY well known artist) lists his Captain America pages on Artist Choice and most of the interior pages are around $100. O and those pages are just sitting there, which indicates that the market thinks that price is too high.

Heh, or maybe they are sold and the site is not updated!

Malvin

Charlie Adlard non WD page: $35

Hot WD page: $10,000

Steve Dillon NOT-Preacher: $70

Steve Dillon Preacher: $500+ :cry:

I hate to put it in these terms, but that tells me the artistic skills are not valued since it is Nostalgia driving the art.

I can think of Dillon non preacher art that are way more than $70 but not at the preacher level. E.g. Ennis Punisher. Once again, it is the story driving the value.

Malvin

Yep but maybe someday it'll be like Kirby-everything he did is bucks. His pages were $35 too way back when.

Yep but maybe someday it'll be like Kirby-everything he did is bucks. His pages were $35 too way back when.

Yea but Kirby pages were $35 back when marvel and DC would send you pages if you wrote in and said you liked the artist lol. The art market was nothing like it is today.

Charlie Adlard non WD page: $35

Hot WD page: $10,000

Steve Dillon NOT-Preacher: $70

Steve Dillon Preacher: $500+ :cry:

I hate to put it in these terms, but that tells me the artistic skills are not valued since it is Nostalgia driving the art.

I can think of Dillon non preacher art that are way more than $70 but not at the preacher level. E.g. Ennis Punisher. Once again, it is the story driving the value.

Malvin

Agreed.

Yes, some of the better Ennis/Dillon Punisher pages are well above $70.

I'd even as a bit more than $70 for my Dillon Gen13 page. :devil: