• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The edowens71 Comic Journal
6 6

230 posts in this topic

Are you doing requests? Can we see the Tales from the Crypt next?

Sure, requests are always considered! :grin:

I'll start working on that...I'll need to decide where to officially "start" that set for layout purposes...Crime Patrol 15? Crypt of Terror 17? Tales From the Crypt 20? hm

Are you doing requests? Can we see the Tales from the Crypt next?

Sure, requests are always considered! :grin:

I'll start working on that...I'll need to decide where to officially "start" that set for layout purposes...Crime Patrol 15? Crypt of Terror 17? Tales From the Crypt 20? hm

Why not International 1? :D

Ask and ye shall receive....well, not always, of course :D

Tales From the Crypt needs no introduction...but, here's one anyway:

In 1950, EC publisher Gaines and his editor Al Feldstein discovered they shared similar tastes in horror and began experimenting with horror tales in their crime titles. Tales from the Crypt traces its origin to a Feldstein story, "Return from the Grave!", in EC's Crime Patrol (#15, December 1949/January 1950) with the Crypt-Keeper making his debut as host. Issue #16 featured more horror tales than crime stories, and, with issue #17, the title changed from Crime Patrol to The Crypt of Terror. Due to an attempt to save money on second-class postage permits, the numbering did not change with the title and continued as The Crypt of Terror for the next two issues.

Tales from the Crypt debuted with issue #20 (October/November 1950), producing a total of 27 issues (excluding the initial three issues, #17-19, published as The Crypt of Terror), before ceasing publication with its February/March 1955 issue (#46). - wikipedia

That explains my last post about where to "start" this series...for my purposes, I'm going to start the run at Crypt of Terror #17 (heck, it has the word "Crypt" in it...that counts :grin: ), and leave the Crime Patrols with the other Crime Patrols.

So, just a few words about the EC horror timeline for context: The first EC horror story is credited to a Moon Girl issue in 1948 (more on that subject when I talk about Moon Girl). Then, a year-and-a-half later Gaines really embraced the genre. The Crypt Keeper (the host of Tales From the Crypt) debuts in Crime Patrol #15 December 1949/January 1950. Crypt of Terror #17 was published in April/May 1950, concurrently with the first issue of Vault of Horror (#12), with the first issue of the Haunt of Fear (#15) coming one month later in May/June 1950. Then, Crypt of Terror changes its name to Tales From the Crypt with issue #20 in Oct/Nov 1950.

There is little that distinguishes the story content within the three New Trend horror titles, but Tales From the Crypt is my favorite of the three...because my man Jack Davis took over the cover art beginning with issue #29 and kept it going all the way until the series ended with #46...I love the Jack Davis TFTC cover run. :cloud9:

As for my copies...I started working on the run in October 2012 (issue #44 was my first issue purchased), and I completed the run in October 2014 (with issue #37). Of course, I've been upgrading since then (as recently as last month with the Gary Arlington #39....yo, mrmitchgro!). The toughest issue for me to find a "nice" copy of has been #24...and I'm still looking for one (my current copy is raw VG/FN'ish).

here are the stats for my current set of 30 issues (3 Crypt of Terror + 27 Tales From the Crypt):

Acquisition source:

26 from other boardies (87%) (shout-outs to stevemmg, fantasyland15, mrmitchgro, clorox, c-mack, jhutton2, and cheetah :headbang: )

1 from eBay sellers (3%) (from collector/author Mike Benton)

1 from ComicLink/ComicConnect/Heritage auctions (3%)

2 from mycomicshop (7%)

Raw vs. Graded:

10 have never been graded by any grading company (33%)

19 have been graded by CGC (4 cracked out) (64%)

1 has been graded by some other company (now cracked out) (3%)

Pedigree Copies - 4 total (13%):

1 Don/Maggie Thompson

1 Gaines File Copy

2 Northford

"Almost-but-not-quite-pedigree Collection" Copies - 1 total (3%):

1 Gary Arlington

Grade distribution:

Mean grade 7.6; Median grade 7.5

TFTC_Jan92016.jpg

That VG/FN copy (#24) looks unsightly down there, doesn't it :P:D

The group shot:

tftc_group_jan16.jpg

Edit: just realized that I didn't put the sweet recently acquired Gary Arlington #39 in the group pic...that's still the undercopy down in the bottom left corner. But, I'm not setting that shot back up...just imagine it's an 8.5 slab down there

Spotlight on the pedigree copies (all Jack Davis covers :cloud9: ):

As you can see in the group shot above, I've cracked out these old label Northford copies...5 sheets of fresh microchamber now taking care of each one :cloud9: (I always scan the slabs before cracking them out ;) )

tftc40_gfc_f.jpg

tftc41_slab_f.jpg

tftc44_dm_f.jpg

tftc45_slab_f.jpg

Also, I'm not into original art at this point, but I couldn't resist picking up a couple of Severin color guides along the way...these original watercolors are probably as close to EC OA as I'll ever get. One set that I have is for the cover feature story in Tales From the Crypt #20:

Here's my copy of the book...

tftc20_f_zpsa92b2639.jpg

...and my Silverprint proof set hand colored by Marie Severin for use as the "Impending Doom!" color guide (acquired from the "fantasyland15 collection" (worship) ) :

tftc20cg_1.jpg

tftc20cg_2.jpg

tftc20cg_3.jpg

Also, I'm not into original art at this point, but I couldn't resist picking up a couple of Severin color guides along the way...these original watercolors are probably as close to EC OA as I'll ever get. One set that I have is for the cover feature story in Tales From the Crypt #20:

Here's my copy of the book...

tftc20_f_zpsa92b2639.jpg

...and my Silverprint proof set hand colored by Marie Severin for use as the "Impending Doom!" color guide (acquired from the "fantasyland15 collection" (worship) ) :

tftc20cg_1.jpg

tftc20cg_2.jpg

tftc20cg_3.jpg

Those silverprints are really fun too. I've got a couple of full stories myself, and I love having a piece of the production history (especially at a fraction of the price of the OA!)

edowens71,

This thread is fantastic! I have been eyeing the hardcover EC reprints, especially those of the horror and crime genre, for several years now. I'm sad to say that I have not read a single EC comic to this day. :(

Your updates are inspiring me to finally build my own library. Your passion for these books is inspiring, I really enjoy reading about your updates and upgrades. It's also good to see that you go beyond the CGC label!

When asked of about a hypothetical scenario of selling your entire collection for the sake of obtaining a books or books out of one's league, I've responded that I would use my collection purge to pursue some well preserved Gains File Copies - hypothetical but tempting... hm

Looking forward to more!

Brandon

tftc20cg_1.jpg

tftc20cg_2.jpg

tftc20cg_3.jpg

Wow, those proofs are amazing! Hand-colored by Marie Severin herself??? (worship)

Thanks for sharing!

Edited by Vorpal

Since I did the TFTC run, I might as well do Crime Patrol, since they're sort of connected (see above).

I'm starting the classification of this run all the way back at the #1 issue in the lineage, which was called International Comics. International Comics was a Max Gaines crime/mystery title (started in the spring of the year of his death). I read somewhere that Max named it "International Comics" to try to appeal to a broader international customer base.

Here's the interior front cover from issue #4 (raw undercopy)...interesting to note that the publisher is listed as I.C. Publishing Co., Inc. (at the standard EC address of 225 Lafayette St.)...this was just after Max's death, and for some reason Bill started using a variety of quirky publishing imprints. (shrug) Anyway...check out the characters: Van Manhattan (representing America), The Chessmen (a crime fighting team representing England), Diggy Do and Diggy Dont (representing China), and Madelon ("France's slickest chick").

international4_ifc.jpg

As advertised on the last interior page, issue #5 would feature Igor ("Champion Archer of all Russia") in place of Diggy Do. :D Interesting.

international4_ip32.jpg

Anyway...Bill changed the title with issue #6 to "International Crime Patrol" to get the word "Crime" in there for marketing purposes. That lasted just that one issue, and Bill dropped the "International" bit. Then, he started putting horror stories into issue #15...the first appearance of the Crypt Keeper...here he is:

crimepatrol15_ck.jpg

...then Bill dropped the title all together after issue #16 (and continued the numbering into the new horror title Crypt of Terror, which would become Tales From the Crypt). Whew...

So, I'm going to talk about this in terms of the #1-#16 run. None of these books are particularly easy to find in nice shape, but the Internationals are brutally tough. The only issues that Gaines kept file copies of were #15 and #16.

I acquired my first copy in January 2014, and I completed the run in spectacular wholesale fashion in August 2015, no upgrades since. As of July 2015, I was missing #2, #6 and #11 (my copy of #4 was rough). I figured that it might be possible to find decent copies of those missing issues during my lifetime, but I wasn't sure. Then, cheetah decides to start selling his comics. So, he was kind enough to sell me his International run, the missing Crime Patrol #11, and another upgrade or two. So, cheetah officially gets the assist on this one (worship)

I'm pretty content with this run at this point...no real strong desire to upgrade any...unless I have the chance to snag some pedigree copies, that is. ;)

Here are the stats for my current "best copy I have of each issue" 16-issue run (5 International Comics + 1 International Crime Patrol + 10 Crime Patrol):

Acquisition source:

11 from boardies (69%) (shout-outs to cheetah, mrmitchgro, stevemmg, thejudge01, and clorox :headbang: )

5 from various eBay sellers (31%)

Raw vs. Graded:

2 have never been graded by any grading company (12%)

14 have been graded by CGC (2 cracked out) (88%)

Pedigree Copies - 1 total (6%):

1 Crippen

(*note: I also have an Aurora undercopy...see next post)

Grade distribution:

Mean grade 7.8; Median grade 7.8

ICP_Jan2016.jpg

The Internationals deserve their own group shot:

InternationalGroup.jpg

Now, all 16:

InternationalCPGroup.jpg

Pedigree copy spotlight:

This here is the first copy of International Comics that I acquired...bought it early 2014 from Straw-Man in a charity thread (worship) . I guess it had just barely enough color touch to get the color purple...but, really, who cares. :D It's still the Aurora copy...and the only Aurora in my collection. So, even though I have an 8.5 copy (which is the issue #1 representative in the group shot above), I'm having trouble letting this undercopy go...but, no need to make a rash decision...I'll just keep both for now :idea:

international1b_f.jpg

Got this upgrade in the batch from cheetah...and it happens to be Mr. Crippen's copy. Too bad that the microchamber is sticking out of the bottom edge...that's unsightly...I suppose I need to crack it out and fix that :D

crimepatrol12_crip_f.jpg

Well, I already have a collection update!

The Tales of Terror Annual #2 arrived today from Mr. Bedrock, which finishes that title run :whee:

This is a tough set...

talesofterror_group.jpg

When I decided to do the completist thing and include the annuals, the thought of pulling this set off was daunting. I picked up the #3 back in 2013 (from fantasyland15)...that's the "easy" one of the three. I wasn't optimistic that I would nail this set down any time soon...the Tales of Terror Annual #1 is widely reputed to be one of the most difficult EC books to find...then, about 4 months ago, fantasyland15 offered his up in a sales thread... (worship)

If memory serves, there was not one other single comment about it in his thread. Not so much as a "nice comic," much less a "dang, Don...that's one of the toughest ECs on the planet." :insane: As for myself... :ohnoez:

I remember it clearly...I was in a car dealership doing the paperwork to buy a new minivan...I was waiting for the sales guy to come back in from somewhere and browsing the boards on my smart phone...and I saw it. The guy comes back in, and I said...um, you'll have to excuse me for a minute...urgent business. lol

That left the #2...not as tough as the #1, but way tougher than the #3. Mr. Bedrock just finished the job. (worship)

In other news of the day...I just plucked off one of the missing Mad #28 variants from eBay...fast shipping...it arrived today. I'll post a pic of that one when I get the missing third variant...

So, the "missing 22" is back down to the "missing 20":

Across the Seas in a War Torn World

Church that was Built with Bread

Dandy Comics #2

Dandy Comics #6

Haunt of Fear #8

KO Punch

Mad #28 "with very useful Income Tax Guide" variant

Mad #28 "with a late and utterly useless Income Tax Guide" variant

Out of the Past a Clue to the Future

Picture Stories From the Bible Complete New Testament 1st printing (40-cent cover price)

Picture Stories From the Bible Complete New Testament 3rd printing (50-cent cover price)

Picture Stories From the Bible Complete Old Testament 6th printing

Picture Stories From the Bible Complete Old Testament 7th printing

Picture Stories From the Bible Complete Old Testament 8th printing

Reddy Kilowatt 1B (Reddy Made Magic, 1956)

Reddy Kilowatt 2B (Light's Diamond Jubilee, 1954)

Reddy Kilowatt 3B (Space Kite, S. Calif. edition, 1956)

Tales of Terror Annual #2

Two-Fisted Tales Annual #1

Two-Fisted Tales Annual #2

War Against Crime #4

Wonders of Wire Rope

I don't know how serious you are about the different Reddy Kilowatt varities. They could drive you crazy.

I have several of the #3 to go with my Kite Fun Books. I have the following of:

3A (1956) Generic Indicia box

3B (1956) SCE indicia box

3C (1957) Same as 3B but with a completely different cover. It appears SCE used these EC giveaways in 1956 & 1957 instead of kite fun books, but switch back to kite fun books in 1958.

3D(?) (1960) Same as 3A but with a 1960 copyright date and Metropolitan Electric printed at bottom of back cover.

Years ago I saw a "Reddy Kilowatt" promo product catalog from 1960. Your utility could purchase different products, including Huckleberry Hound Kite Fun Book for $14.95 per thousand, and Reddy Kilowatt: The Space Kite (and #1 & #2) for $19.95 per thousand. You could have your utility name printed on the comics for additional fee. So, you really don't know what is out there.

I don't know how serious you are about the different Reddy Kilowatt varities. They could drive you crazy.

I have several of the #3 to go with my Kite Fun Books. I have the following of:

3A (1956) Generic Indicia box

3B (1956) SCE indicia box

3C (1957) Same as 3B but with a completely different cover. It appears SCE used these EC giveaways in 1956 & 1957 instead of kite fun books, but switch back to kite fun books in 1958.

3D(?) (1960) Same as 3A but with a 1960 copyright date and Metropolitan Electric printed at bottom of back cover.

Years ago I saw a "Reddy Kilowatt" promo product catalog from 1960. Your utility could purchase different products, including Huckleberry Hound Kite Fun Book for $14.95 per thousand, and Reddy Kilowatt: The Space Kite (and #1 & #2) for $19.95 per thousand. You could have your utility name printed on the comics for additional fee. So, you really don't know what is out there.

I hear you on the kite books...thankfully, I'm not pursuing any after 1956 (see page 2)...that boundary should help keep me somewhat sane :insane:

:news: ....progress!

Just got in a small stack of books from Jim Payette (worship) :

PayetteHaul.jpg

You'll see some books in there that relate to my motorcycle cover and "Mad Imitator" collections, and some EC western upgrades (including a New Hampshire slab)...

...but for now I want to focus attention on those two Dandys in the bottom left corner (low-mid grade raws). Those two books finish my Dandy run, and knock two books off the list of missing ECs...

Down to 18 missings now:

Across the Seas in a War Torn World

Church that was Built with Bread

Dandy Comics #2 :news:

Dandy Comics #6 :news:

Haunt of Fear #8

KO Punch

Mad #28 "with very useful Income Tax Guide" variant

Mad #28 "with a late and utterly useless Income Tax Guide" variant

Out of the Past a Clue to the Future

Picture Stories From the Bible Complete New Testament 1st printing (40-cent cover price)

Picture Stories From the Bible Complete New Testament 3rd printing (50-cent cover price)

Picture Stories From the Bible Complete Old Testament 6th printing

Picture Stories From the Bible Complete Old Testament 7th printing

Picture Stories From the Bible Complete Old Testament 8th printing

Reddy Kilowatt 1B (Reddy Made Magic, 1956)

Reddy Kilowatt 2B (Light's Diamond Jubilee, 1954)

Reddy Kilowatt 3B (Space Kite, S. Calif. edition, 1956)

Tales of Terror Annual #2

Two-Fisted Tales Annual #1

Two-Fisted Tales Annual #2

War Against Crime #4

Wonders of Wire Rope

To celebrate, my next planned post will feature the Dandy run, with the normal statistics, etc...I'll work that up after I get all these Payette books re-bagged and boarded and microchambered....

This was a “funny animal” and “bigfoot” title that E.C. produced as an “entertaining comic” in its early days, as the company experimented to find a variety of comic books that would bring readership. “Dandy” is a rabbit, "Tumbles" is a clown, and “Handy Andy” is a bigfoot human.

— Maggie Thompson

So, here we have another title started by Max (in the spring of 1947) just before his death (in the fall of 1947). Dandy Comics then itself passed away after the seventh issue in the spring of 1948... :(

I started the run back in June 2014, and just officially finished it when I got Jim Payette's books in hand yesterday. I'd love to get some upgrades here, but easier said than done. Halperin has most of the "best" copies locked up, and there just aren't that many other nice copies around...I'll keep looking, though ;)

Here's my 7-issue set:

Acquisition source:

1 from boardies (Yo, Dale Roberts)

1 from ComicConnect

3 from various eBay sellers

2 from Jim Payette (which finished the run, so Jim gets the official "assist")

Raw vs. Graded:

5 have never been graded by any grading company (71%)

2 have been graded by CGC (29%)

Pedigree Copies - 0 total

(note: the only pedigree copies I'm aware of in existence are from Mr. Crippen's collection)

Grade distribution:

Mean grade 5.5; Median grade 5.5

Dandy_Jan2016.jpg

The Group Shot:

Dandy_group.jpg