• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS : Episode VIII December 15, 2017
4 4

1,799 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, rjrjr said:

As predicted, TLJ moved into 1st place for 2017 and passed Rogue One internationally over the weekend.  Yesterday, it would have passed The Dark Knight domestically and it is on track to pass The Avengers domestically.  Whether or not it will overtake Jurassic World or Titanic domestically is up in the air.  But it will finish in the top 5 domestic grosses of all time.  It is likely it will break into the top 10 international grosses of all time.  It opens in China this coming weekend and how it does there will determine where it falls in the top 10.  China has not been kind to the Star Wars franchise.

More importantly, this week TLJ will pass the inflation-adjusted totals (i.e., total number of tickets sold) of Rogue One, and Revenge of the Sith. It's already passed the inflation-adjusted total of Attack of the Clones.

It's also performing as-expected for a second chapter (i.e., at ~70% of The Force Awakens). 

Both Empire and Attack of the Clones clocked in at about 70% of the business of the first chapter of their respective trilogies as well.

2 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

Ive often felt the same. That Lucas made Star Wars as a one shot with no intention of a trilogy. Now he may have had a whole set of stories to be told over 2-3 movies but he clearly made star wars with the intention of one and done (look at the big celebration at the end of new hope) or the kiss between luke and leai.

I hadn't thought of the Kylo Ren arc more important that Rey's. Part of the issue for me for this movie is that it doesn't sync correctly with the first. Maybe Abrams made errors in his set up of the first movie but I doubt that to be the case. He's a far more polished story teller than Johnson and Rey's arc may have been more important if not for the changes or course correction made in TLJ. It's very possible that Rey's parents initially (when first written) were of greater importance but it's evident after TLJ that the goal is to break away from the Jedi or anyone with super powers to be accessible to anyone and everyone.

I read somewhere back in the day, that after the success of "Star Wars" Lucas wanted to make a total of nine films. Appararently after Return of the Jedi was completed  Lucas discovered that his first wife was cheating on him. He got into a deep funk and wasn't interested any making any more "Star Wars" films. Instead he decided to adopt three more kids and was basically content in just raising his kids. That all changed of course in 1999 with the release of The Phantom Menance. After getting blasted by the fans he reluctantly made two more "Star Wars" films. After those films he basically said no mas! Until Disney came a calling and made him an offer he couldn't  refuse. Although he definitely didn't need the money. I think he was probably happy to be rid of the whole thing.

50 minutes ago, CAHokie said:

Well, now that it is proving itself to be an overwhelming financial success, I retract my statement. This must be a great movie! :nyah:

For One Thing All you young guys are forgetting one major thing! When your an 8 to 12 year old kid going to the movies to see a cool sci-fi film. Your not worried about this and that! All you want to see are the good and bad guys battling on the big screen, I'm 48 years old, I was at the first star wars movie when it hit the theatres back in 77'. As a young kid I was hooked on seeing this big black figure known as Vader battling a young kid and watching the cool light sabers light up. That to me was awesome. The story didn't have to have meaning back then. It was about the cool fight scenes. Killing off an Icon as big as Skywalker was horrible in my opinion. That should've never of happened this early. Skywalker is the franchise. No young kid wants to go see Princess Leia on the screen, They went for Luke and Vader. Enough Said!

35 minutes ago, Vietnam67 said:

For One Thing All you young guys are forgetting one major thing! When your an 8 to 12 year old kid going to the movies to see a cool sci-fi film. Your not worried about this and that! All you want to see are the good and bad guys battling on the big screen, I'm 48 years old, I was at the first star wars movie when it hit the theatres back in 77'. As a young kid I was hooked on seeing this big black figure known as Vader battling a young kid and watching the cool light sabers light up. That to me was awesome. The story didn't have to have meaning back then. It was about the cool fight scenes. Killing off an Icon as big as Skywalker was horrible in my opinion. That should've never of happened this early. Skywalker is the franchise. No young kid wants to go see Princess Leia on the screen, They went for Luke and Vader. Enough Said!

Agreed to some extant. The Luke you saw was in his prime. The Luke the kids today saw was 66 years old and collecting social security payments. I know when I was 18 my friends and I thought 41 years old which I am now was ancient. Imagine what a young kid would think of a 66 year old? Luke is older than Ben Kenobi was in 1977.

2. Saw Darth Vader in Rogue One, and he seemed shockingly kind of dated.  With him and the saber it kind of reminded me of Jason of Friday the 13th lumbering around with a machette. Loved Rogue One, but found Vader out of place .

back to Last Jedi/Force Awakens

I think they did it right and let Luke(Hamill) and Han(Ford) go out as heroes instead of them keeping them around like they did with the Star Trek characters.

btw. Luke had the best scene in the Last Jedi.

Spoiler

It was memorable him getting blasted like that by walkers and prevailing! Top all-time comic book/sci-fi scene!

Now if Mark Hamill was 46 instead of 66 my opinion would be different.

If they want the younger future audience they have to focus on younger characters they can relate to.

I bet when you were a kid you bought the Luke Skywalker figure over the old Ben action figure like other millions of kids did back then.

So inconclusion for Star Wars to grow they had to say good bye to the old gang of actors(painful yes).

Like James Bond, Spider-Man, Superman,Batman and Doctor Who we will find Star Wars will live on, but just in a different kind of way.

Now let's get ready for the new Han Solo movie coming out in May.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

Just now, ComicConnoisseur said:

2. Saw Darth Vader in Rogue One, and he seemed shockingly kind of dated.  With him and the saber it kind of reminded me of Jason of Friday the 13th lumbering around with a machette. Loved Rogue One, but found Vader out of place .

Blasphemy! My kids get a kick out of watching the old horror comedy Friday the 13th movies. They were so bad that they were good!

1 minute ago, kimik said:

Blasphemy! My kids get a kick out of watching the old horror comedy Friday the 13th movies. They were so bad that they were good!

Listen, I completely understand about the young generation. This movie was based on that. All of the adults back then didn't go to see Star Wars, they were watching other movies. This movie is for a young generation that's my point. The movie plot means absolutely nothing when your a kid. The movie had a good ending in 83. It should've been left at that.

4 minutes ago, Vietnam67 said:

Listen, I completely understand about the young generation. This movie was based on that. All of the adults back then didn't go to see Star Wars, they were watching other movies. This movie is for a young generation that's my point. The movie plot means absolutely nothing when your a kid. The movie had a good ending in 83. It should've been left at that.

And the only reason their even keeping the franchise going is for MONEY! not for the sake of a younger generation who want to see cool fighting space battles, saber battles and such on the big screen.

13 minutes ago, kimik said:

Hey Kimik: I don't know if you seen it or not, I've got a movie you've gotta see. If you like Mark Hamill, Go rent CORVETTE SUMMER!

2 minutes ago, Chip Cataldo said:

Errr...that's the reason why ALL franchises keep going. 

No kidding, Chip Boy,  My point is you don't kill off a child hood hero such as Skywalker. The series was done in 83. They should've left it alone!

1 minute ago, Vietnam67 said:

No kidding, Chip Boy,  My point is you don't kill off a child hood hero such as Skywalker. The series was done in 83. They should've left it alone!

How do you know he is really dead? Remember the death of Spock? How many times did they kill Superman off? What if Luke is in the next Star Wars picture?

What if they have new adventures of Luke like they are doing with Han Solo?

It would not surprise me at all that Luke is back in the next Star Wars picture.

1 minute ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

How do you know he is really dead? Remember the death of Spock? How many times did they kill Superman off? What if Luke is in the next Star Wars picture?

What if they have new adventures of Luke like they are doing with Han Solo?

It would not surprise me at all that Luke is back in the next Star Wars picture.

Ha, I give you credit Comicseur, You do have faith! I use to watch Re Runs of Spock and Kirk in the 70's and thru the decades. Kirk was priceless on the big screen as I had gotten older. But to keep the Star Wars franchise going I'm not a big fan without the original cast. Did I watch the other star wars movies. Of course I did and will continue, I'm just saying they do not have the same meaning to me now as to back when I was a kid. But I thought when Vader walked down the platform in Rogue One was an excellent piece! It did bring back some child hood memories.  You hit it on the mark when you said about the old ben and luke being older. A young kid doesn't want to see old people. When I had the action figures as a kid, and played with my figures, Ben and Leia were always killed off first. I will always be an original Star Wars Fan but that's it! And go watch Corvette Summer, Hamill is a young man in that movie. lol. Not as great as star wars but it's a different type of movie with a young Hamill.

1 minute ago, Vietnam67 said:

Ha, I give you credit Comicseur, You do have faith! I use to watch Re Runs of Spock and Kirk in the 70's and thru the decades. Kirk was priceless on the big screen as I had gotten older. But to keep the Star Wars franchise going I'm not a big fan without the original cast. Did I watch the other star wars movies. Of course I did and will continue, I'm just saying they do not have the same meaning to me now as to back when I was a kid. But I thought when Vader walked down the platform in Rogue One was an excellent piece! It did bring back some child hood memories.  You hit it on the mark when you said about the old ben and luke being older. A young kid doesn't want to see old people. When I had the action figures as a kid, and played with my figures, Ben and Leia were always killed off first. I will always be an original Star Wars Fan but that's it! And go watch Corvette Summer, Hamill is a young man in that movie. lol. Not as great as star wars but it's a different type of movie with a young Hamill.

I will check it out. (thumbsu

1 hour ago, Vietnam67 said:

I’m not that young, I’m in my 40s lol

2 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

btw The LAST JEDI has reignited my passion about Star Wars again. Been buying a few books about Star Wars lately.

Three weeks ago I wasn't even thinking about Star Wars and now here I am back into again.

9780091924997.jpg

7125d7b691bc0bcc4e4514f14434bd2e--fiction-books-the-universe.jpg

Those are both in my amazon basket! Let us know how they are.

2 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

OMG! I thought the same thing too after watching it.  It was only amplified to me during the climax of ROTJ after too. lol