• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS : Episode VIII December 15, 2017
4 4

1,799 posts in this topic

48 minutes ago, Rip said:

He didn't say only 5% disliked it. He was saying if even 5% disliked it , that's what you are going to listen to. But they are the minority.

“When even 5% of the people are saying, ‘You ruined Star Wars, I hope you die,’ that’s what you’re going to listen to.”

I think they must have edited out the the next line in the interview:

"And when 51% of the fans are saying 'From a story perspective, technical Perspective, continuity perspective, and general creativity perspective you ruined Star Wars. I hope you never touch these movies again'...That's what you have to ignore cause to hell with them! Never admit failure!"

On 1/22/2018 at 12:31 PM, valiantman said:

None of those 3 movies would make anything like their adjusted dollar amounts today.  There's 500 channels, internet streaming of everything not playing, 18 different screens in every theater, and a Redbox on every corner if you just wait a few months. 

It's a fun calculation to do adjusted-for-inflation and today's dollars, but it doesn't mean anything when we all know Gone With The Wind wouldn't make $50,000,000 today... and most of that would be from people wanting to see why it is being boycotted.

Granted.

But then the relevant metric should be past performance against prior Star Wars movies.

Empire made 68% of Star Wars

Attack of the Clones made 70% of The Phantom Menace

As of today, The Last Jedi's made 65% of The Force Awakens, and it still has a few weeks of juice left.

So...a bit off of where it should end up, but well within the expected range.

12 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

"And when 51% of the fans are saying 'From a story perspective, technical Perspective, continuity perspective, and general creativity perspective you ruined Star Wars. I hope you never touch these movies again'...That's what you have to ignore cause to hell with them! Never admit failure!"

I must of missed my last issue of Zhamlau's Tales to Astonish. 

4 minutes ago, Rip said:
29 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

I must of missed my last issue of Zhamlau's Tales to Astonish. 

Too bad, 9.8's going off on ebay at 350. Snooze you lose.

Edited by zhamlau

18 hours ago, CAHokie said:

cbe012650851cab598a6c0cd78ee65bb.gif

If he thinks only 5% of a vocal minority disliked this movie, then he still doesn’t get it.  I will just bump the above moments of stellar writing to prove my point.

terrible :facepalm: that's almost as bad as the teat milking scene as soon as I saw that I knew we weren't going to get any answers, no plot, Rey nobody just everything means nothing and meant nothing a big waste of 2.5 hours  

Edited by Azkaban

How many takes do you think they did for that scene?

”listen Mark, do you think you can do a walk after you throw the lightsaber over your shoulder that shows how much you don’t give a damn about your past, the Jedi and whoever this girl is. Have a little pep in your step as youre thirsty and you need to milk a teat

Edited by jsilverjanet

Just looked at the sum and weekly totals for TLJ and I think now Its more likely this movie will do about 700 million less than its lead in TFA. I think it did about the same numbers in China for example as Alien:covenant or Murder on the Orient Express and be CRUSHED by such power-houses as "GeoStorm" and "Valerian". Why this matters is simple: The Chinese were going off pure entertainment value. They have no such fanboy devotion to Star Wars many of its strongest supporters here do. They just care "did it give me the enterains?"...it appears that it did not despite a heavy marketing campaign in country. its going to do about 20% of what TFA did, and about 33% of Rogue One.  When you strip out fanboy loyalty, this movie on it merits alone tends do to "meh" at best.  Rian managed to cost Disney nearly 700 million in lost potential revenue, Likely damaged the Chinese Market for future SW films, and overall created a movie that overall was somewhat disliked by the people who actually pay for the tickets.

This hurts future product, and his -tastic choices will I believe haunt Disney and their investment in SW for a generation. As a lifetime fan who even made star wars his living for a while, this really bothers me. I almost hope they pull some sort of "Time inverter" trick or other such nonsense and undo most of it in the final one.

Worldwide Summary Rogue One Star Wars: The Force Awakens Star Wars: The Last Jedi
Worldwide Gross $1,056,057,273 $2,068,223,624 $1,312,210,006
Foreign Gross $523,879,949 $1,131,561,399 $701,091,802
Foreign % of Worldwide 49.6% 54.7% 53.4%
Domestic Gross $532,177,324 $936,662,225 $611,118,204
Domestic % of Worldwide 50.4% 45.3% 46.6%

10 hours ago, zhamlau said:

Just looked at the sum and weekly totals for TLJ and I think now Its more likely this movie will do about 700 million less than its lead in TFA. I think it did about the same numbers in China for example as Alien:covenant or Murder on the Orient Express and be CRUSHED by such power-houses as "GeoStorm" and "Valerian". Why this matters is simple: The Chinese were going off pure entertainment value. They have no such fanboy devotion to Star Wars many of its strongest supporters here do. They just care "did it give me the enterains?"...it appears that it did not despite a heavy marketing campaign in country. its going to do about 20% of what TFA did, and about 33% of Rogue One.  When you strip out fanboy loyalty, this movie on it merits alone tends do to "meh" at best.  Rian managed to cost Disney nearly 700 million in lost potential revenue, Likely damaged the Chinese Market for future SW films, and overall created a movie that overall was somewhat disliked by the people who actually pay for the tickets.

This hurts future product, and his -tastic choices will I believe haunt Disney and their investment in SW for a generation. As a lifetime fan who even made star wars his living for a while, this really bothers me. I almost hope they pull some sort of "Time inverter" trick or other such nonsense and undo most of it in the final one.

Worldwide Summary Rogue One Star Wars: The Force Awakens Star Wars: The Last Jedi

All I see is a movie that did huge numbers at the box office?  Top movie at the box office last year by far. (shrug)

Haters are gonna hate.

Edited by rjrjr

1 hour ago, rjrjr said:

All I see is a movie that did huge numbers at the box office?  Top movie at the box office last year by far. (shrug)

Haters are gonna hate.

Then you arent thinking about it objectively.  Fanboys boys gonna Fan.

I really enjoyed the current X-Files reboot.  Mulder and Scully have given up and are living in a Milwaukee suburb.  Skinner spends the entire season trying to convince them to return to the X-Files, with no luck.  In the last scene, Mulder and Scully fall into a hole.

I thought this was a much needed, brave new direction for the series.

9 hours ago, Werner_Von_Doom said:

I really enjoyed the current X-Files reboot.  Mulder and Scully have given up and are living in a Milwaukee suburb.  Skinner spends the entire season trying to convince them to return to the X-Files, with no luck.  In the last scene, Mulder and Scully fall into a hole.

I thought this was a much needed, brave new direction for the series.

With a few exceptions Mulder and Scully have been falling into a hole for most of the last two seasons. 

Edited by Rip

On 1/31/2018 at 3:27 AM, zhamlau said:

But as Gatsby77 showed... Empire did 68% of Star Wars, Attack made 70% of Phantom Menace... The Last Jedi should be 68% to 70% of The Force Awakens and it's already at 65%... where is a missing $700 million?

17 minutes ago, valiantman said:

But as Gatsby77 showed... Empire did 68% of Star Wars, Attack made 70% of Phantom Menace... The Last Jedi should be 68% to 70% of The Force Awakens and it's already at 65%... where is a missing $700 million?

Because as I showed, Empire ran for 4 months, and CRUSHED ANH over that same period of time in ticket sales. Its just ANH literally ran 3 times as long in theaters so it won out over a slow stead drip of tickets. So that example actually helps my argument.

As for AOTC, that Phantom Menace was so poorly received by fans I believe killed excitement going into AOTC and hurt ticket sales. That's speculation of course but it makes sense. 

Also remember that was just one movie and its direct sequel.  For example Matrix Reloaded absolutely DESTROYED the original Matrix in terms of box office, but it was an inferior movie to many fans and fans AND it was a sequel. Its not a hard and fast rule on how sequels do against first runs.  The Chinese market I think is a perfect honest appraisal of what this movie is and how its lack of quality hurt its box office. They have no reason to like or dislike the movie beyond "was this good? Do I want to pay to see it and tell friends to see it?". TFA does well there. The next star wars movie Rogue One does well there. This pile drops and it does 20 cents on the dollar compared to its lead in. That speaks volumes.

42 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

Because as I showed, Empire ran for 4 months, and CRUSHED ANH over that same period of time in ticket sales. Its just ANH literally ran 3 times as long in theaters so it won out over a slow stead drip of tickets. So that example actually helps my argument.

As for AOTC, that Phantom Menace was so poorly received by fans I believe killed excitement going into AOTC and hurt ticket sales. That's speculation of course but it makes sense. 

Also remember that was just one movie and its direct sequel.  For example Matrix Reloaded absolutely DESTROYED the original Matrix in terms of box office, but it was an inferior movie to many fans and fans AND it was a sequel. Its not a hard and fast rule on how sequels do against first runs.  The Chinese market I think is a perfect honest appraisal of what this movie is and how its lack of quality hurt its box office. They have no reason to like or dislike the movie beyond "was this good? Do I want to pay to see it and tell friends to see it?". TFA does well there. The next star wars movie Rogue One does well there. This pile drops and it does 20 cents on the dollar compared to its lead in. That speaks volumes.

Star Wars wasn't released nationally when it first came out at the theaters it opened in only 32 theaters and only 40 opening weekend.

Nor did everyone know about it right away. You can't really compare them like that.

The release of Star WArs in 1977 was quite different.  It wasn't a smash hit overnight.

I remember when Star Wars came to our city. However ESB I was there opening night.

Edited by Rip