• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS : Episode VIII December 15, 2017
4 4

1,799 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

30-40 per year?  It’s not 1998 anymore, there’s 18 at present.  Still a good number, sure.

But is a billion dollar box office not also getting more common (I’m just speaking anecdotally, I don’t know offhand)?

It is, thanks to a growing foreign market. Making it something to shoot for as a big budget movie.

$2 Billion? Not so much. 2 in the last 9 years, and 2 other prior to that.

3 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

You can’t talk individual players if we’re going to refer to football in this analogy, it would be teams.  And ONE has been perfect.  One.  Difficult?  Yes.  Impossible?  No.

UFC, where we could talk individuals — LW champ Khabib Nurmagomedov is undefeated.  Will he stay undefeated come October?  We’ll see.

Does Star Wars want to be the Dolphins/Khabib of movies?  Or is it OK being the 2000 Ravens/ Matt Serra?

They're not upset when they make a BILLION dollars at the box office. They're not firing anyone for it.

2 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

They're not upset when they make a BILLION dollars at the box office. They're not firing anyone for it.

True enough.  The 2000 Ravens did still win the Super Bowl after all.  All I’m saying is Disney could redefine box office success if they steered the Star Wars franchise to its full potential.

2 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

True enough.  The 2000 Ravens did still win the Super Bowl after all.  All I’m saying is Disney could redefine box office success if they steered the Star Wars franchise to its full potential.

It took Marvel 20 movies to hit the $2 Billion mark.

Star Wars is being built to hit a Billion a movie - one movie a year. They just happened to hit the $2 Billion mark on their first try. A decade plus of no Star Wars movies contributed to that - but no one thought they could do it EVERY movie.

Look, Rogue One is probably the best FILM, ever done in the Star Wars world. Honestly, I think the typical Star Wars movie is kinda dorky and hokey, with muppets and a pretty predictable storyline. Rogue One was bold and creative and... it did $1 Billion at the box office. (shrug)

You'd like $2 Billion, and it'd be nice to make $2 Billion.... but to plan for it? To THINK you're going to hit it?

THAT is setting yourself up for failure.

Like winning the Super Bowl 24-17 and then fans saying "Fire the coach! Last year they won 40-17!"

18 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

And what is it's fullest potential?

As much as I thought Phantom Menace sucked, not just because it was boring - I thought the writing sucked, some of the acting sucked, the dialogue was stiff, etc., etc. - there are tons of people who saw that movie as a kid who LOVED it. Some of those same kids are now old enough to be the one's talking chit about Last Jedi. It's all perspective. It's all subjective.

The difference is, I didn't troll Rotten Tomatoes to try and stack the vote against Phantom Menace.

7 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

It took Marvel 20 movies to hit the $2 Billion mark.

Star Wars is being built to hit a Billion a movie - one movie a year. They just happened to hit the $2 Billion mark on their first try. A decade plus of no Star Wars movies contributed to that - but no one thought they could do it EVERY movie.

Look, Rogue One is probably the best FILM, ever done in the Star Wars world. Honestly, I think the typical Star Wars movie is kinda dorky and hokey, with muppets and a pretty predictable storyline. Rogue One was bold and creative and... it did $1 Billion at the box office. (shrug)

You'd like $2 Billion, and it'd be nice to make $2 Billion.... but to plan for it? To THINK you're going to hit it?

THAT is setting yourself up for failure.

Like winning the Super Bowl 24-17 and then fans saying "Fire the coach! Last year they won 40-17!"

Perhaps, but don’t plenty of teams plan, and even think, they’re going to win the championship in any given year?  And when most obviously fall short, they typically don’t fire the head coach/manager, but they do often re-tool.  

That’s precisely what should happen with Star Wars.  Regroup, re-tool, and reset the bar.

And what is it's fullest potential?

As much as I thought Phantom Menace sucked, not just because it was boring - I thought the writing sucked, some of the acting sucked, the dialogue was stiff, etc., etc. - there are tons of people who saw that movie as a kid who LOVED it. Some of those same kids are now old enough to be the one's talking chit about Last Jedi. It's all perspective. It's all subjective.

The difference is, I didn't troll Rotten Tomatoes to try and stack the vote against Phantom Menace.

Not really sure why you have to bring RT trolls into this, it’s irrelevant to our conversation.

Back on point, yes not only Episode I, but also II and III suck.  Poor acting, poor character development, poor writing, poor dialogue, the gamut.  TLJ suffers the same fate, and it shouldn’t have happened.

VII handed Disney a goldmine - the return of Luke Skywalker.  THE character.  Easily should have matched TFA’s box office.  Instead, Luke was a brooding pre-teenish twerp who drank raw green milk.  While his sister was flying around in space.  Mind boggling idiocy to most longtime fans.  Word of mouth/internet spreads, box office suffers.

1 minute ago, mattn792 said:

Perhaps, but don’t plenty of teams plan, and even think, they’re going to win the championship in any given year?  And when most obviously fall short, they typically don’t fire the head coach/manager, but they do often re-tool.  

That’s precisely what should happen with Star Wars.  Regroup, re-tool, and reset the bar.

Why should they? They've averaged $1 Billion a movie for 4 movies, with only one of them not hitting the mark. They've created the Universe that KK, and Iger have been talking about for the last two years. A more diverse Star Wars Universe. That's WHO Bob Iger IS.

He's getting exactly what he wants.

Why should they? They've averaged $1 Billion a movie for 4 movies, with only one of them not hitting the mark. They've created the Universe that KK, and Iger have been talking about for the last two years. A more diverse Star Wars Universe. That's WHO Bob Iger IS.

He's getting exactly what he wants.

They “diversified” with VII.  They put out an awful movie with VIII.

Not really sure why you have to bring RT trolls into this, it’s irrelevant to our conversation.

Because I accepted those movies blew and went on with my life, and today's SW fans just have to keep going on about this.

Back on point, yes not only Episode I, but also II and III suck.  Poor acting, poor character development, poor writing, poor dialogue, the gamut.  TLJ suffers the same fate, and it shouldn’t have happened.

But lots of SW fans LOVE those movies. No re-tooling needed.

VII handed Disney a goldmine - the return of Luke Skywalker.  THE character.  Easily should have matched TFA’s box office.  Instead, Luke was a brooding pre-teenish twerp who drank raw green milk.  

I love what they did with Luke in it.

While his sister was flying around in space.  Mind boggling idiocy to most longtime fans.  Word of mouth/internet spreads, box office suffers.

It didn't suffer. It met it's opening weekend expectations. It's one of 36 movies in history to break $1 Billion Worldwide. 

5 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

Because I accepted those movies blew and went on with my life, and today's SW fans just have to keep going on about this.

You’re still here retorting every nay sayer, why not just go on with your post-VIII life as well then?

The 2000 Ravens of DVD sales.

No no no... The Last Jedi will sell on Blu/Dvd and Digital for our ENTIRE lives. It will never stop selling.

Look how we view the prequels.... terrible, right? Yet they SELL. Again, and again, and again. They always will while we're alive.

Lucas made HIS movies, the way HE wanted, and they sell, sell, sell.

Disney looks at it the same way. We're going to make the movies WE want. They will, sell, sell, sell. 

Only a fool listens to online complainers about how to change a movie that did $1 BILLION at the box office.

If you can make $1 BILLION at the box office doing it YOUR way - WHY would you ever change?

2 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

You’re still here retorting every nay sayer, why not just go on with your post-VIII life as well then?

I HATE misinformation. And when people mislead and try to manipulate with BS, it bothers me.

Saying that KK is getting fired or that all Star Wars movies are on hold is just a blatant lie, being passed around by people so they... I don't know, so they can feel good about themselves over a silly movie, I guess.

1 minute ago, Chuck Gower said:

I HATE misinformation. And when people mislead and try to manipulate with BS, it bothers me.

Saying that KK is getting fired or that all Star Wars movies are on hold is just a blatant lie, being passed around by people so they... I don't know, so they can feel good about themselves over a silly movie, I guess.

Chuck, it’s the internet.  Misinformation is everywhere.  You’re never going to win that war.  

You and I will most likely never agree on this movie, but at least we are arguing opinions on how to interpret the facts and the direction forward.  Nothing you or I do is going to stop a certain percentage from baselessly saying KK is going to be fired and charged with grand larceny in the Northern District of Iowa, or that George Lucas has rejoined the production crew and IX will feature midichlorians saving the Millenium Falcon from the clutches of Jaba the Hut, Jr.  That banal nonsense just is what it is.

14 hours ago, Chuck Gower said:

That rumor was started by the clickbait site Collider, and numerous sources picked it up as a way to get people to come to THEIR sites. As Collider put it "Sources with knowledge of the situation". LOL.

There's no confirmation by Disney this is true and Rian Johnson claims it is fanboy fabrication. (shrug)

Good, because I want my Obi-Wan movie.

6 hours ago, mattn792 said:

Chuck, it’s the internet.  Misinformation is everywhere.  You’re never going to win that war.  

You and I will most likely never agree on this movie, but at least we are arguing opinions on how to interpret the facts and the direction forward.  Nothing you or I do is going to stop a certain percentage from baselessly saying KK is going to be fired and charged with grand larceny in the Northern District of Iowa, or that George Lucas has rejoined the production crew and IX will feature midichlorians saving the Millenium Falcon from the clutches of Jaba the Hut, Jr.  That banal nonsense just is what it is.

I have no illusions about saving the internet. But if it happens right in front of me, I'm going to respond.

If I'm walking down the street and some guy is cussing in front of somebodies kids, I'm going to say, "Yo, dude, chill out, there's kids here." Doesn't mean I'm going to try and stop the world from cussing.