• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your thoughts on how the comic book market will play out in 2016?

54 posts in this topic

This is the year the pedigree book will get published.

Save this post and you can use it again next year :insane:

Hmmm Let's see now....... hm

No, save this post and you can use it again for the rest of this decade, if not longer! lol

This is the year the pedigree book will get published.

Save this post and you can use it again next year :insane:

Hmmm Let's see now....... hm

No, save this post and you can use it again for the rest of this decade, if not longer! lol

lol but just because it's true

The hunt for restored GA keys and possibly even SA keys will escalate in earnest as the maximization of potential appears to have now shifted into restored books, with the big dollars being realized on UHG Extensively restored books that were once previously designated as lower grade Slight or Moderately restored books.

Fun times all over again. :facepalm::censored:

:ohnoez::tonofbricks:

Looks as though you might be missing all of the fun and controversy that's taking place in the Gold Comics Forum right now on this very subject matter. :gossip:lol

Anybody for a Pep 22 in 9.6 or a Hulk #1 or Showcase #4, both of which are in 9.8 graded condition. :P

What your state will probably be a a far bigger concern in the upcoming years 2017 and up in the comic book golden age and silver age markets

Right now 2016 will have enough juice to be a banner year.

Also I expect the powers to be to fix the integrity issue with these golden and silver age questionable partially recreated covers, just like Major League Baseball put out the fire with steroid abuse.

So 2016 will still be a banner year for the comic market!

I'm looking for 2016 to be a very good year in comics.

I expect a considerable transition, as I see keys becoming more and more expensive and run books and Golden Age looking more and more like a bargain. I don't think keys are going to stop selling (especially the real keys), but I can see some plateauing of certain books.

Of course, movie announcements and actual movies will spur some new books and continue to push somethings.

I would think you would see the bronze age books to continue to creep up as well. Hard to believe books from 1976 are 40 years old now.

I'm looking for 2016 to be a very good year in comics.

I expect a considerable transition, as I see keys becoming more and more expensive and run books and Golden Age looking more and more like a bargain. I don't think keys are going to stop selling (especially the real keys), but I can see some plateauing of certain books.

Of course, movie announcements and actual movies will spur some new books and continue to push somethings.

I would think you would see the bronze age books to continue to creep up as well. Hard to believe books from 1976 are 40 years old now.

I don't know if it'll happen in 2016 or not, but I agree that eventually (especially early) run books will look like real bargains. Early FF's (@2-13) for example, which seem to realize some fairly low values on GPA, are probably going to pick up steam at some point.

Alright, I'll make a few guesses.

Comic book movies continue to break box office records. Bats v Superman and Civil War are the front runners, along with Star Wars Rogue One.

2016 begins the decline of comic book movie keys/1sts, we'll see most inflated prices drop back down to pre-2012 levels at the end of 2016. This does not include ASM 300 or NM 98.

Batman v Superman gets poor reviews but the casual movie going crowds love it, X-Men 3/Spider-Man 3 style.

Golden and Silver age keys will continue to rise in value, more comparisons/articles on investing in gold/silver comics as an alternative to gold or stocks.

Overstreet announces mobile comic price guide plans, probably subscription based.

The Walking Dead bubble bursts, series finale is announced for 2017.

Preacher is a flop, AMC only produces 2 seasons.

Happy New Year!

Batman V Superman is the sole superhero movie that I actually will see in a theater.

I'd agree to most of your takes except the bit about Batman V. Superman and (especially) Preacher.

You took a mess in my Cheerios, on those two, for sure.

Considering that Bats V Sups is based on Miller's Dark Knight storyline, it should be pretty solid aaaaand DC has way too much riding on it for it to be a critical flop.

Based on Preacher's trailer, it won't be a flop.

I am damn near giddy to see Preacher, Ennis is a favorite writer of mine.

Moving on...........Happy New Year.

The keys have been leading the way and I predict it will continue, although some of them I believe are maxed out based on their general availability - NM 98 being the most blatant example. The secondary keys, meaning non-first appearances of major characters and first-appearances of minor characters appreciating in value will be the signal that the trend is continuing up (this is already happening I believe).

The real strength of the market will be in how the prices of major keys proceed. Do they see a huge spike? That signals a top to me. Do they see steady appreciation over time? That's a strong market.

In the market I like to play in:

I will predict continued pressure:

7.0+ Pre heroes will continue to get snapped up at conventions before I can have a chance to buy them. When I see them they will be slabbed at 2x raw prices.

GA GGA books will be more attainable as people throw off their undercopies as Cheetas books get absorbed into the market...feel free to pm me about your 7.0-8.5 copies.

SA keys will flatten out for a while after their meteoric rise over the past three years but there will still be upward pressure as folks try to find the right keeper copy. Media will continue to drive Flash, Shield, green arrow and other titles with each new appearance driving a $10 book to $200.

Warlock will be amazing when he finally gets to the big screen and throws a few baddies into his soul gem. Don't underestimate the power of Starlin, Wrightson and Brunner art books in contract to overly hyped Neal Adams from the late SA and bronze era.

Bronze 70's will be harder to come by in a raw state 9.0-9.6 as there's still lots of unappreciated gems to those of us that have reader rags. Horror and monster books will continue to sell fast as they've been under pillaged for quite a while. Tomb of Dracula, WWBK, Frankenstein and Pre hero reprints will see brisk sales and the few keys will continue to pop. White pages will rule the Bronze Age sales. Why by anything else.

Copper is where the quick easy money is. Easy to find and easy to sell the keys.

No idea on later stuff.

The walking dead bubble is going to get bigger..not burst...the show is coming close to negan and is as big as ever right now...plus the comic still is one of the best sellers on a month to month basis....I predict prices of early negan to rise before the end of 2016

IDK man, don't you think it's kinda jumped the shark? Negan/gov'nor what's the diff?

Negan had a potty mouth

He also kills...........

The walking dead bubble is going to get bigger..not burst...the show is coming close to negan and is as big as ever right now...plus the comic still is one of the best sellers on a month to month basis....I predict prices of early negan to rise before the end of 2016

IDK man, don't you think it's kinda jumped the shark? Negan/gov'nor what's the diff?

Negan had a potty mouth

He also kills...........

dIHM7hnK_2001142223351.jpg

Expect huge downfalls , market will crash . Sell your books now

Yes, please sell your books ...... To me!

Here are my speculations

- batsVSupes breaks some box office records

- Wonder Woman hype accelerates

- Aquaman hype continues, but at a constant pace

- A few huge book sales (mega key, high grade) set the pace for the keys of that era (they sell well, a bump follows for all the lower grades and "adjacent" books

- Key Bronze catches up a bit to key silver (similar to the point Dale made - the beginning of the Bronze Age will be 50 years ago in the not-too-distant future!)

- More modern (or higher print) keys like NM 98 and BA12 start stagnating, maybe even decrease in price.....a lot depends on how many new copies surface in my view

- Other suicide squad books hype accelerates

- Star Wars keys continue to do well (above market)

- Sinister Six hype returns

- Walking dead keys stay relative flat (#1, 19 anyways)

- Silver age DC keys continue to catch up on Mavel (in general) but Marvel remains the leader

- Rip Hunter Time Master keys take off

- Atom keys start accelerating their climb

- Thor and Iron Man keys remain strong, but flatten out a bit

- FF keys continue to struggle

- Golden age supes and Bats take off again, with numbers 2+ catching up on number 1 a bit (after the opposite for a few years)

- We see at least 1 more $1M sale - and it's not an Action 1

- One of Spectre or Phantom Stranger takes off strong and fast!