• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who is Marvel going to replace next?

115 posts in this topic

I don't know who will be replaced next but my bet is this:

If it's a white male hero, he will be replaced with a minority (ex. Cho Hulk).

If it's a villain who isn't white, then the new version will be.

I thought of this while watching the Netfilx Daredevil around Christmas time. During the DD movie, they made Kingpin a black actor (Michael Clarke Duncan) who was great in my opinion. Now since everyone is bowing more and more to racial pressure ECONOMIC OPPORTUNITY, it's not just enough to have more minorities, you have to have more minority heroes. The new DD series had a white Kingpin and a black Ben Urich, so that way they added a minority that the comic didn't and he is a good guy and we get the bad white Kingpin back.

Good lord, figure this out. CEOs don't care about "racial pressure", political correctness or whatever... the thing that makes them make executive edicts is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$. (and if you hear one saying that a decision is being made in response to racial pressure, its only if they also know it will make them money)

Last year on tv, one of the biggest booms was Empire, and it showed decision makers at the studios that there is an underserved audience. So you know what every executive is saying this year? "We need an Empire" or "Empire made good bank, lets get more black people on our show to try and get some of that audience, and thus increase our share, which then increases our ad revenue, which increases my bonus!"

Why is Marvel increasing the prominence of female characters? Is it just bending to the PC police? Nope. Its marketing consultants telling the COO that theres a huge untapped market of female readers (just as empire tapped into underserved black viewers), who are more likely to respond to female lead characters, and thus we get an emphasis, or an evening of emphasis between the male and female characters

Excellent post.

if someone wanted to argue that movie success increased readership they should look at trade sales, not floppy sales.

Every dealer I know redirects new readers (or potentially one-off readers) to their TPB/GN shelves and to a good jumping on point tpb.

TPB sales have increased at a slower pace that comic sales the past year.

True.

According to comichron.com the most definitive source for information on such things, graphic novel/tpb sales are up just over half a million dollars from 2014, and comic sales are up $33 Million over that same period.

Of course, they print 3000X as many comics as they do tpb's....

is comichron crunching just diamond numbers or are they plugged into sales via amazon and brick&mortar stores?

The only sales that can be figured is what retailers buy from Diamond. What the store customer actually buys isn't able to be measured nationally. All U.S. brick&mortar stores buy through Diamond if they carry weekly new comics even if they don't buy through Diamond (and use, say DCBS, who get their product through Diamond), as they are the only direct distributor in North America.

I thought of this while watching the Netfilx Daredevil around Christmas time. During the DD movie, they made Kingpin a black actor (Michael Clarke Duncan) who was great in my opinion. Now since everyone is bowing more and more to racial pressure ECONOMIC OPPORTUNITY, it's not just enough to have more minorities, you have to have more minority heroes. The new DD series had a white Kingpin and a black Ben Urich, so that way they added a minority that the comic didn't and he is a good guy and we get the bad white Kingpin back.

Good lord, figure this out. CEOs don't care about "racial pressure", political correctness or whatever... the thing that makes them make executive edicts is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$. (and if you hear one saying that a decision is being made in response to racial pressure, its only if they also know it will make them money)

Last year on tv, one of the biggest booms was Empire, and it showed decision makers at the studios that there is an underserved audience. So you know what every executive is saying this year? "We need an Empire" or "Empire made good bank, lets get more black people on our show to try and get some of that audience, and thus increase our share, which then increases our ad revenue, which increases my bonus!"

Why is Marvel increasing the prominence of female characters? Is it just bending to the PC police? Nope. Its marketing consultants telling the COO that theres a huge untapped market of female readers (just as empire tapped into underserved black viewers), who are more likely to respond to female lead characters, and thus we get an emphasis, or an evening of emphasis between the male and female characters

+1000

Not only that, it benefit's the company in international sales as well, which is something most U.S. corporations are striving towards.

More money in foreign countries who are attracted to our media, is more money for the company and more success for the CEO. You cast a prominent Asian actor in a key role, and you might sell even more copies in the foreign, Asian market.

THIS.

It is just unfortunate they can not come up with something new and original instead of destroying and re-inventing what already exists.

THIS.

It is just unfortunate they can not come up with something new and original instead of destroying and re-inventing what already exists.

They do that to draw attention to a new character and to appeal to the existing following and they hardly destroy what already exists. They just temporarily reinvent it which isn't a bad thing if a character or concept has gotten stale.

One example is the Superior Spider Man. Many fans were in uproar that Peter had died (they must've been bloody naive to buy into that anyway) and there were endless cries of how it would be terrible and they would never pick up another Spider Man comic again. The upshot of it was that it was commonly regarded as some of the most interesting Spidey stories for some time and a short while later, the old status quo was restored.

Marvel has recently tried a Red Wolf series which by all accounts is a fairly decent comic but isn't selling well at all. I bet if they'd put Red Wolf in a Daredevil costume and called the comic Daredevil, I bet they'd have had a lot more people giving it a try.

THIS.

Fantastic Four will go down as the greatest example of what you stated.

It bombed worst than the Lone Ranger!

They took a great concept that Jack Kirby and Stan Lee created, and changed it so bad that mainstream audiences and comic book audiences won`t watch it.

THIS.

They do that to draw attention to a new character and to appeal to the existing following and they hardly destroy what already exists. They just temporarily reinvent it which isn't a bad thing if a character or concept has gotten stale.

One example is the Superior Spider Man. Many fans were in uproar that Peter had died (they must've been bloody naive to buy into that anyway) and there were endless cries of how it would be terrible and they would never pick up another Spider Man comic again. The upshot of it was that it was commonly regarded as some of the most interesting Spidey stories for some time and a short while later, the old status quo was restored.

What's status quo anymore? In the days when they tried to follow continuity, you could expect certain things. There was a status quo, at least to a certain extent. These days, it seems so much more chaotic and arbitrary. The amount of reboots and "hey, this will shock people" moments has become tiresome and disconcerting.

I know it may not viable to make 1960s or 1970s style stories in 2016, but there has to be something better than this utter chaos they've been feeding to fans for the last several years. Is there any attempt to make any lasting story lines that develop and build on each other, or is it just "Let's do this for awhile until sales drop and we have to reboot. People always buy # 1 issues"

Fantastic Four will go down as the greatest example of what you stated.

It bombed worst than the Lone Ranger!

They took a great concept that Jack Kirby and Stan Lee created, and changed it so bad that mainstream audiences and comic book audiences won`t watch it.

It wasn't the act of changing the FF that killed it.

It was a bad -script, bad chemistry among the cast (or at least the chemistry that appeared on the screen), bad directing, mismanaged IP, and so on.

The changes themselves, were they to be part of a viable and interesting -script could have made for a good movie!

Miraclemet,

What you call opportunity, I call pressure and I stand by it.

You say CEOs don't care about racial pressure, PC, etc., well try going to the news website of your choice and typing in "Academy Awards" and let me know what you think of the many articles that pop up about minorites boycotting and let me know if CEOs still don't care.

Or maybe they care but won't admit it and call it opportunity like you did.

Ned

Excellent post.

I will second that. To be honest, I am really liking the modest change in tone and story telling that is coming with some of these changes. I personally wish these were original characters rather then replacing established ones. When you re-use big names it seems much more like pandering.

:news::news::news: NEW movie in the hopper....

double amputations above both knees due to diabetes to the Silver Surfers calls for his surfboard to be replaced with a wheelchair but he can still glide through the galaxies on it and ponder the meaning of life as he becomes the new

"Handicapped Surfer"

Edited by 1950's war comics

2 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

double amputations above both knees due to diabetes to the Silver Surfers calls for his surfboard to be replaced with a wheelchair but he can still glide through the galaxies on it and ponder the meaning of life as he becomes the new

"Handicapped Surfer"

No no no!!!!  This thread is about REPLACED characters not MODIFIED characters!!!! :makepoint:

7 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

"Handicapped Surfer"

24 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

oh i forgot to add that along with everything else i already wrote about the new handicapped Surfer... he will no longer be silver ,, he will be brown

giphy.gif