• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Black Canary/Oracle: Birds of Prey #1 - 1st appearance of Birds of Prey

27 posts in this topic

We know that Warner Bros. are interested in bringing the Birds of Prey team into the DC Extended Universe, but I'm wondering will that do good for the actual comic Black Canary/Oracle: Birds of Prey #1, which so happens to be the first appearance of the team in question.

In part the thread's about the issue of Black Canary/Oracle: Birds of Prey #1 in general, and whether or not it would increase in value and desire if such an announcement was made; given the age of the comic and the fact that DC seems rather focus on it's women-based adaptions too, starting with Wonder Woman, and among one of the reasons I believe they'll be working on an Amethyst adaption at some point.

I mean it's a 1995 based comic with a great deal of potential; especially with how The Batman Adventures #12 increased dramatically.

What do you think?

All comments are welcomed.

Showcase 96 #3 is the 1st appearance and it has been on people's radars for some time now.

Showcase 96 #3 was released in 1996, whereas Black Canary/Oracle: Birds of Prey #1 was released in 1995; ergo, it's the first appearance.

We know that Warner Bros. are interested in bringing the Birds of Prey team into the DC Extended Universe, but I'm wondering will that do good for the actual comic Black Canary/Oracle: Birds of Prey #1, which so happens to be the first appearance of the team in question.

In part the thread's about the issue of Black Canary/Oracle: Birds of Prey #1 in general, and whether or not it would increase in value and desire if such an announcement was made; given the age of the comic and the fact that DC seems rather focus on it's women-based adaptions too, starting with Wonder Woman, and among one of the reasons I believe they'll be working on an Amethyst adaption at some point.

I mean it's a 1995 based comic with a great deal of potential; especially with how The Batman Adventures #12 increased dramatically.

What do you think?

The only thing is its not the first appearance of either character. A comp to Batman Advs #12 is not really valid.

I agree, it does have some room for growth. I would think the Suicide Squad which features the first appearance of Oracle would be similarly important, and of course Detective #359 which is the first Barbara Gordon.

Showcase 96 #3 is the 1st appearance and it has been on people's radars for some time now.

Showcase 96 #3 was released in 1996, whereas Black Canary/Oracle: Birds of Prey #1 was released in 1995; ergo, it's the first appearance.

I have always thought it was the Black Canary / Oracle book as well, but where did you get 1995 from? The wikia states it's their 1st appearance and was released June 1996.

Showcase '96 #3 was released in March of '96, but the wikia states it only have Lois Lane and Black Canary, not Oracle.

I have always thought it was the Black Canary / Oracle book as well, but where did you get 1995 from? The wikia states it's their 1st appearance and was released June 1996.

Showcase '96 #3 was released in March of '96, but the wikia states it only have Lois Lane and Black Canary, not Oracle.

My thoughts as well. I never look for Showcase I look for the Birds of Prey book which is a nightmare to find.

Would love for some clarification so I cant stop looking for that book.

Edited by Fastballspecial

What do you think?

The only thing is its not the first appearance of either character. A comp to Batman Advs #12 is not really valid.

I agree, it does have some room for growth. I would think the Suicide Squad which features the first appearance of Oracle would be similarly important, and of course Detective #359 which is the first Barbara Gordon.

agree

Once again, wikis are not a reliable source of information.

If you want reliable sources, try places like here or here (68 & 97 are relevant).

EDIT: Here, too.

Edited by Lazyboy

Once again, wikis are not a reliable source of information.

If you want reliable sources, try places like here or here (68 & 97 are relevant).

EDIT: Here, too.

This doesn't really tell me anything that I haven't already stated. Cover of Showcase #3 states March. Of course that doesn't mean when that's when it came out.

Also, one grading company labels Showcase as the first and CGC does not label the one-shot with any 1st appearance.

Edited by ygogolak

Stop trying to make Amethyst happen. It's never going to happen.

scan0138.jpg

Indica says March 1996. Story title inside cover is Lois Lane-Black Canary- Oracle Birds of a Feather. All three are in the story.

scan0139.jpg

Indica says only 1996 BUT the last page ad for subscriptions expires Jan 31 1996.

Edited by Bill1

Black Canary/Oracle: Birds of Prey #1 has a cover date of 1996, but it was released on November 21, 1995 (and has mention of that in the book which I have).

Stop trying to make Amethyst happen. It's never going to happen.

It'll happen :D

Showcase96 #3 says March 1996 but the book was released 3 months earlier and was on the stands in January 1996.

All books are generally dated 2 to 3 months ahead of their release month.

Right, and Black Canary/Oracle: Birds of Prey and Showcase '96 #1 were released in November 1995. (shrug)

Upon a quick search, there are so many sources propagating misinformation about these issues. Who is responsible for starting this?

This is not going to end well for any suckers who paid big money for Showcase '96 #3.

cBSi did nothing but live up to the name CBT calls them. Even when generally agreeing with reality, they can't get simple facts right.

That whole article is a pathetic mess, but I really loved this part:

"Apparently this book came out in November 1995, even-though it has a June 1996 cover date. Which is where the whole problem really stems from. As crazy as it may sound. It’s not outside the realm of possibility that someone at DC actually thought comic shops would give this One-Shot rack space for 8 months. Which is why the cover date is so far off from when it was released."

Really? "1996" is the only date I see on the cover. Oh, I guess "June 1996" must be in the indicia. Nope, just "1996" again.

Where does this misinformation come from?

I was psyched when I found one of the Birds of Prey one shots last week in a box of dollar box books I had bought a few years ago. And somehow, although unbagged and unboarded, it had managed to stay pristine.

No such luck on the showcase.

All I need is a Detective 850, but I think it's not going to happen. I seem to have the issues around it. Bummer.