• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver age Marvel comics that went up in value?

38 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I just started collecting comics, and I'm focusing on Daredevil, X-men, Amazing-Spider-man, Tales of Suspense, Fantastic Four, and Avengers. (I know they are a lot, but I love them all :D ) I'm trying to build small runs from the first issues to the last ones of the Silver age.

Since I'm a newbie, I was wondering which of these series I should avoid for the moment. Did any of them went up in value recently?

Thank you very much.

Enrico

Enrico,

All of those comics have risen steadily over the past few years. Comics have experienced a great resurgence thanks to the awesome movie and tv shows. Best advice I can give you is to find in best value for those in your local area, or catch them at auction on eBay.

Hi Enrico,

I don’t know if you should "avoid" them, but right now you will find more or less "overpriced" at least the following, which are the first which come to mind.

I am sure others will have more to add:

– Daredevil #4 (first appearance of Killgrave the Purple Man – Atlas TV series);

– Daredevil #18 (first apperance of the Gladiator);

– Daredevil #131 (first apperance of Bullseye);

– Daredevil #168 (first apperance of Elektra);

– Amazing Spider-Man #31 (first apperance of Harry Osborn and Gwen Stacy);

– Amazing Spider-Man #50 (first apperance of Kingpin);

– Amazing Spider-Man #121-122 (death of Gwen and Green Goblin, "naturally rising", for various reasons);

– Amazing Spider-Man #129, 135 (Punisher, for the TV shows);

– Uncanny X-Men #4 (first apperance of Scarlet and Quicksilver);

– Uncanny X-Men #101, 125-137 (Phoenix, Hellfire Club etc.);

– Fantastic Four #45-46 (first appearance of the Inhumans);

– Fantastic Four #52-53 (first apperance of the Black Panther);

– Fantastic Four #66-67 (first appearance of "Him"/Adam Warlock);

– Avengers #54-55, 57 (still cooling since the Age of Ultron movie);

– Avengers #59 (same as above, first Pym as Yellowjacket);

Best advice I can give you is to find in best value for those in your local area, or catch them at auction on eBay.

And we have no "local area" in Italy. At best, if you’re lucky, you can find something here and there, remnants of old imports or of the few collecting efforts of daring people in the 1960s-1980s. :(

Best advice I can give you is to find in best value for those in your local area, or catch them at auction on eBay.

And we have no "local area" in Italy. At best, if you’re lucky, you can find something here and there, remnants of old imports or of the few collecting efforts of daring people in the 1960s-1980s. :(

Yeah, unfortunately, we don't have any place where to buy old American comics. I never even found a comic dealer in my area who sells current Marvel comics besides those translated in Italian.

Hi Enrico,

I don’t know if you should "avoid" them, but right now you will find more or less "overpriced" at least the following, which are the first which come to mind.

I am sure others will have more to add:

– Daredevil #4 (first appearance of Killgrave the Purple Man – Atlas TV series);

– Daredevil #18 (first apperance of the Gladiator);

– Daredevil #131 (first apperance of Bullseye);

– Daredevil #168 (first apperance of Elektra);

I thought all DD comics were going up in value because of the Netflix show.

And thanks Claudio for all the other suggestion. I know I should stay away from comics related to Henry Pym, Black Panther, and the Inhumans, but i didn't think there were so many others.

As much as I love Spiderman, I find myself staying away from building an ASM run. This is mostly due to the high cost of mid-grade copies (6.0 to 7.5), which I would want in my collection.

Provided the list you gave, I think the best bang for the buck would be Tales of Suspense and Avengers - both have good art and stories.

As much as I love Spiderman, I find myself staying away from building an ASM run. This is mostly due to the high cost of mid-grade copies (6.0 to 7.5), which I would want in my collection.

Provided the list you gave, I think the best bang for the buck would be Tales of Suspense and Avengers - both have good art and stories.

Cool, thanks.

Paulo (prez) is right: Spidey, aside from movie and telefilms "hype" has become heavily collected in recent years, so ASMs in nice shape – although "common" as most Silver Age stuff, are definitely more costly compared to others.

Also KPR is right: go for Fantastic Four, and I would also add series like Sub-Mariner, Hulk or Defenders, but if you like Tales of Suspense, that would also be a good area of collecting relatively ininfluenced by the "hype" (Iron Man has already "given" with two movies).

Paulo (prez) is right: Spidey, aside from movie and telefilms "hype" has become heavily collected in recent years, so ASMs in nice shape – although "common" as most Silver Age stuff, are definitely more costly compared to others.

Also KPR is right: go for Fantastic Four, and I would also add series like Sub-Mariner, Hulk or Defenders, but if you like Tales of Suspense, that would also be a good area of collecting relatively ininfluenced by the "hype" (Iron Man has already "given" with two movies).

I might say a heresy, but I don't like Hulk that much and also Namor is not on my top list. I'll read some comics of the Defenders online, maybe I'll change my mind. Doctor Strange is in it, so I'll probably like it.

I was interested in buying some Strange Tales or Doctor Strange Vol1, but I'll pass for now since a movie is coming out.

Hi everyone,

I just started collecting comics, and I'm focusing on Daredevil, X-men, Amazing-Spider-man, Tales of Suspense, Fantastic Four, and Avengers. (I know they are a lot, but I love them all :D ) I'm trying to build small runs from the first issues to the last ones of the Silver age.

Since I'm a newbie, I was wondering which of these series I should avoid for the moment. Did any of them went up in value recently?

Thank you very much.

Enrico

It would be easier to advise if you could give us a rough budget that you might have in mind. Many of these can still be reasonable in Fine to Very Fine..... you could probably get many of the later 60's issues for $ 20 or less if you are patient. If you make your goal to be finding them cheap it can make the search interesting. Heritage Auctions has many group lots available during their Sunday Auctions and deals can be had if you're able to spend a few hundred US from time to time. Just approach this as a marathon and not a sprint. The Movie hype is mainly going to affect various keys..... and there are many non key issues that are still fantastic in their own right. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

It would be easier to advise if you could give us a rough budget that you might have in mind. Many of these can still be reasonable in Fine to Very Fine..... you could probably get many of the later 60's issues for $ 20 or less if you are patient. If you make your goal to be finding them cheap it can make the search interesting. Heritage Auctions has many group lots available during their Sunday Auctions and deals can be had if you're able to spend a few hundred US from time to time. Just approach this as a marathon and not a sprint. The Movie hype is mainly going to affect various keys..... and there are many non key issues that are still fantastic in their own right. GOD BLESS...

Hi,

My goal is to build runs of High Grade comics (8.0 higher). I prefer to spend more for just one comic than spend the same amount for more copies that are in low grades. I could spend roughly 1500$ a year not just for one comic, though, and I don't want to waste my money. I'd rather search for comics that aren't raising in value, waiting to get those in the future.

Hopefully, since I'm 24, I have many years ahead of me so there's nothing to rush.

Thanks

Enrico

Hi,

My goal is to build runs of High Grade comics (8.0 higher). I prefer to spend more for just one comic than spend the same amount for more copies that are in low grades. I could spend roughly 1500$ a year not just for one comic, though.

Since I'm 24, hopefully, I've many years ahead of me so there's nothing to rush.

Enrico

.....that's the right attitude, Enrico. In America, that is what we call "adding a piece to the collection". As I'm sure you know, slabbed books will be more expensive..... so a "raw" collection would be much cheaper..... but a little more risky until you find dealers you can trust. If you're in for the "long haul" you can capitalize on downward trends.... and all titles will have them. Buying opportunities exist now for Fantastic Four. If you like Doc Strange, you could consider a nice ST 115 (origin)..... I still see some value in that book. GOD BLESS...

.....that's the right attitude, Enrico. In America, that is what we call "adding a piece to the collection". As I'm sure you know, slabbed books will be more expensive..... so a "raw" collection would be much cheaper..... but a little more risky until you find dealers you can trust. If you're in for the "long haul" you can capitalize on downward trends.... and all titles will have them. Buying opportunities exist now for Fantastic Four. If you like Doc Strange, you could consider a nice ST 115 (origin)..... I still see some value in that book. GOD BLESS...

Thank you very much, pal. You've been very nice.