• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does this sketch look like J. Scott Campbell did it?

28 posts in this topic

I actually think it's a Campbell sketch the problem is if its a simple sketch that can be forged does it really matter?

fairchild__by_j_scott_campbell_by_uruseiranma.jpg

I don't think it's real but that is just my opinion.

The Mignola Hellboy sketch also seems like it might not be legit. I've been looking at similar Hellboy sketches for a while now and the one this seller has just seems a little off.

There are other red flags for me. There is something about this Campbell sketch and the Tucci sketch currently listed that just seem a little too similar, like maybe done by the same hand?

For someone who has constantly sold so much over the years I think it's also weird that he has so many items currently listed from when he "personally obtained them" years ago. Like how long does it take to work through your old stock of original sketches, especially when your listing them on no reserve auctions week after week(but not the published stuff, those mostly have buy it nows). Week after week he lists lots of original sketches and they are almost all from when he personally acquired them way back in 2004 or 2007 or 2008 etc etc. I understand that you hold onto somethings but this is pretty excessive and a red flag for me at least.

Of course I could just be paranoid so it's up to you to decide what chances your willing to take and how comfortable you are with the answers to your questions.

I can't speak to the Campbell piece, but I don't think they are necessarily tracings. But they are more liked "doodles" that someone sketches on a napkin or quickly on the inside hardcover at a con.

I was looking specifically at the two pieces that he has from Mignola (I have nearly every comic book he drew since going to Dark Horse), and I know Frank Cho's work (we had the same art class in High school and I followed liberty meadows for years). And the issue with both of those pieces (Hellboy and Hulk respectively) is that neither are solid representations of the artist's style or degree of talent.

The shading on Hellboy is the way Mignola shades (Wide, jerky, repetitive, uneven lines). And the lining on the Hulk face. The way there is a little pimple bump-out on the right, to give the hint of a cheek bone rather than a perfectly straight line is a Cho thing. But they are not composition pieces. They are completely derivative of what they could or arguably should be.

As someone pointed out, there are no pencil sketch lines. Well, that's because they weren't composed. They were haphazardly created at the moment with a sharpie. Even if you showed me video tape of them drawing those pieces, the fact is they are doodles with an artist sig.

As Kav points out, "It doesn't really matter". And I agree. Even if I witnessed them doing the art; they come with no authentication, and they aren't done on a book (to increase something else's value), then they should simply be valued for what they are: sigs with a doodle on paper that are "likely" from the person they are reported to be done by. And should be purchased if you are appreciative of the having a sig or the art alone and feel that it equates the price.

For $50, if the Hellboy was on a book, I'd probably buy it myself. But mind, not as an investment piece. But simply because I like Mignola art and to have his sketch+sig on a book that I like, would itself have intrinsic value to me. But since it's a stand-alone doodle and sig that Mignola would probably do the same for anyone on a napkin if you picked-up his lunch tab if you saw him at a restaurant: I have no desire to buy it...not at any price really.

-T

Never seen such a simple sketch done by him.

He does simple sketches all the time at shows, on sketch covers, in the front of his "art of" books, etc.

They tend to look like this, profile quickies.

Not sure about this piece in particular but he's done dozens and dozens of simple sketches like this.

That's why I never buy art unless its published art. Period.

Well, this is probably the worst possible example to use as "unpublished art".

You know how unpublished pieces run the gamut of stick figure prelims and sketches to fully detailed oil painted commissions.

I wouldn't throw the baby out with the stick figure bathwater.

A similar one just sold by a different seller and it looks like they are both saying they were done at SDCC in 2007.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/J-Scott-CAMPBELL-original-comic-art-sketch-NATALIA-CASSLE-Danger-Girl-Disney-DC-/182001058683?hash=item2a601bc37b:g:lY0AAOSwoydWpCmE

Hmmm. Similar sketches from "different "sellers that are both located in the exact same city, claiming that they were both done in 2007 at SDCC. And there is something similar about both listings as well. Just seems too coincidental, especially on eBay.

And go figure, both sellers purchased these at the exact same time, at the exact same location way back in 2007 and both just randomly decided sell them over the past 2 weeks. hm

There are just too many people faking these exact type of items on eBay in hopes that we will buy into the fact that they are quick or rushed sketches/signatures. The fact that we can even debate it would be enough for me to stay away. I believe there is a thread in the OA forum that has links to lots of bogus stuff just like this.