• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eBay Global Shipping Program

93 posts in this topic

Very rarely do I sell internationally, but a few times I did list accidentially and left international on and GSP as default. Overseas bidders won, I shipped it to some distribution center in the states and that was that. I never know what the buyer paid for shipping. For the few transactions I had never heard any complaints from those buyers.

I suppose it's just a convenience for sellers.

One reason for the poll: I haven't run any big eBay auctions for a while, and I'm trying to decide whether to sell internationally -- and if so whether I'm better protected from scammers if I use Global Shipping. One of my big concerns is selling a high-value item to somebody in another country, and then they return something else. How often does that happen, though? Also, are there enough determined international bidders on comic books to make it worthwhile to include them in an auction scenario?

...as an international buyer I will never bid in an auction but will buy my books through BIN or best offer. I will never use GSP unless it is cheaper than Priority.

One reason for the poll: I haven't run any big eBay auctions for a while, and I'm trying to decide whether to sell internationally -- and if so whether I'm better protected from scammers if I use Global Shipping. One of my big concerns is selling a high-value item to somebody in another country, and then they return something else. How often does that happen, though? Also, are there enough determined international bidders on comic books to make it worthwhile to include them in an auction scenario?

International buyers HATE the GSP and will avoid it if at all possible.

Sellers who ship internationally LOVE the GSP because it takes all responsibility out of the hands of the seller.

Because many international bidders who have experienced the GSP will avoid it, you'll have to decide whether limiting your bidding pool is worth it.

One reason for the poll: I haven't run any big eBay auctions for a while, and I'm trying to decide whether to sell internationally -- and if so whether I'm better protected from scammers if I use Global Shipping. One of my big concerns is selling a high-value item to somebody in another country, and then they return something else, or claim item not received. How often does that happen, though? Also, are there enough determined international bidders on comic books to make it worthwhile to include them in an auction scenario?

I hate to break it to you, but if you use Global Shipping on a sale, you're actually WORKING for the scammers...

Im from Canada and have bought books from sellers on eBay who would only ship using the GSP. This happened twice and both times it was nothing but problems. Now even if its a great deal I simply stay away as the risk and hassle out weights the deal from my experience. Unfortunately in both cases the books were too good to pass on for the price and even after hearing peoples complaints on you tube I still decided to go ahead with it, big mistake. It was a nightmare.

The first time it took almost 2 months to arrive and it wasn't the sellers fault, for some reason it was sitting at some facility being "processed" in Canada! I have been on eBay for over 10 years and bought books from the same state I purchased this item in and it took at most 2-3 weeks plus it was poorly repackaged by Pitney Bows, the company responsible for this insanity. Thank god the book was not damaged because if I had waited 2 months for a book to get it mangled I was going to :pullhair:

The second time was a complete disaster, the book was removed from its bag and board plus the extra cardboard the seller had used to package the book with and put into a mailer envelope that had absolutely no protection, you can guess how it arrived. Folded in half through the mail door slot, good times right? I told the seller and he was furious, he gave me a refund and I send him back the book, but yeah what a horrible service. My advice is to first reach out to the seller and ask them if regular shipping is possible. Explain to them that the GSP is something they should stay away from if they want to sell overseas and tell them to quickly research how awful the GSP really is. If they still insist on using it then just pass.

I have a question about GSP, as I've only sold to the U.K where I live everything has been fine. However I've just sold an item to someone in Australia and now I have to send it to them free as that is what I listed the postage rate for U.K only. Who pays for the postage?

I have a question about GSP, as I've only sold to the U.K where I live everything has been fine. However I've just sold an item to someone in Australia and now I have to send it to them free as that is what I listed the postage rate for U.K only. Who pays for the postage?

If you're using GSP you shouldn't be shipping it directly to Australia. You will probably be sending it to a domestic eBay shipping center and they ship it to Australia from there on the buyers dime.

I will not buy a book from a US seller who uses the GSP and nor will many, many others. This will no doubt shrink the buyer-pool for anyone in the US using it - in an auction this makes the biggest difference.

The most irritating listings I see are the ones that are say:

USA - free shipping

Germany - GSP ( which means usually $20 + 20% of the selling price )

VAT on books here is 7% so the extra 13% is simply appropriated by Pitney Bowes.

I did recently buy a book from a UK seller using the GSP, but only because there was no X% added to the total. Shipping was still comparatively expensive, though, and it took two weeks to get here.

You are right Ygogolak I had to ship it to a U.K centre however I paid for that postage not the buyer. Okay I'll admit that I offered free U.K shipping but that was to a buyer not a company which I have no control over.

You are right Ygogolak I had to ship it to a U.K centre however I paid for that postage not the buyer. Okay I'll admit that I offered free U.K shipping but that was to a buyer not a company which I have no control over.

Sounds like you are splitting hairs then. It doesn't cost anymore or less to basically send it to a different address, does it?

International buyers HATE the GSP and will avoid it if at all possible.

Sellers who ship internationally LOVE the GSP because it takes all responsibility out of the hands of the seller.

Because many international bidders who have experienced the GSP will avoid it, you'll have to decide whether limiting your bidding pool is worth it.

To me personally it's worth it. Shipping books internationally without using the GSP is an extra trip for me and extra hassle. When I used to do it, 9 out of 10 buyers would ask me to lie and put a lower value or mark it as a gift.

If I wasn't a speck of dirt under the carpet I would probably rethink my position.

I'ma uk based E bayer who up until a month ago was selling worldwide as I have since 2003.

I refused all of fee pays kind offers to enrol in their GSP and offered my own international postage rates. However in this last month I've found that when I list an item it is impossible to offer shipping anywhere else than the UK (those options are now shaded out) unless I opt into global program then lo I can once again ship worldwide.

I want no part of GSP as it is illegal. ALL PRINTED MATTER is exempt from any import/duty fees by law over here(due to an old law on the statuary books about reading matters educational value). I ,ve had a butchers at Pisstake bastards(pittany Bowes) web site and they even state that import fees for books in to the uk is zero so by their own admission they shouldn't be adding on charges.

GSP= SCAM.

I'm currently dealing with my tax assessment with the inland revenue while I am at it it is about time this scam was brought to their attention(for all the good that will probably do,but still).

I'ma uk based E bayer who up until a month ago was selling worldwide as I have since 2003.

I refused all of fee pays kind offers to enrol in their GSP and offered my own international postage rates. However in this last month I've found that when I list an item it is impossible to offer shipping anywhere else than the UK (those options are now shaded out) unless I opt into global program then lo I can once again ship worldwide.

I want no part of GSP as it is illegal. ALL PRINTED MATTER is exempt from any import/duty fees by law over here(due to an old law on the statuary books about reading matters educational value). I ,ve had a butchers at Pisstake bastards(pittany Bowes) web site and they even state that import fees for books in to the uk is zero so by their own admission they shouldn't be adding on charges.

GSP= SCAM.

I'm currently dealing with my tax assessment with the inland revenue while I am at it it is about time this scam was brought to their attention(for all the good that will probably do,but still).

This is concerning.

One reason for the poll: I haven't run any big eBay auctions for a while, and I'm trying to decide whether to sell internationally -- and if so whether I'm better protected from scammers if I use Global Shipping. One of my big concerns is selling a high-value item to somebody in another country, and then they return something else, or claim item not received. How often does that happen, though? Also, are there enough determined international bidders on comic books to make it worthwhile to include them in an auction scenario?

I buy comics almost weekly from eBay and regularly bid up books I don’t win. In last couple of months I’ve noticed a huge uptick in the percentage of auctions from US sellers selling thru GSP. I suspect eBay is aggressively pursuing sellers to use it.

If you are selling thru GSP please please please consider using USPS directly. I have never had a problem with either 1st Class or Priority. Both include tracking; priority includes insurance. In my experience, 1, 2 or 3 comics (raw), 1st Class, in a cardboard sandwich runs $9.50USD to Canada; priority is roughly twice that, but quicker, and I prefer it for higher value books. I have been more than happy with USPS service, and often receive packages quicker from the US than I do from Canadian sellers.

I considered it. Then rejected it.

The only way I will sell to EBAYERS in foreign countries is through the GSP. If they don't bid because if that, that's a sale I wasn't going to get anyway.

:)

-slym

I just don't understand why people think this service is great, yeah its no hassle for sellers but it could become a hassle if the book gets repackaged badly and is damaged. More importantly to those who say marking as gift and lower value is bad just remember that Pitney Bows is profiting off of false duties that they impose on books, at least in Canada that is the case. They then profit off of that, not sure whats worse. Sellers have been shipping items to overseas buyers for years and although I understand that there are more scams and many sellers have been burned before it is not an excuse to say well the hell with all you honest buyers with 100s if not 1000s of positive feedback, too bad. If the buyer is willing to accept the GSP as a means of shipping then great but if not and the buyer is clearly not a scammer with 100% positive feedback over years of buying history and the seller still refuses to take a few minutes too make everyone's life simpler in the long run then that is just sad.

A buyer can claim an item was not received and still maintain 100% positive feedback.

If the seller gave feedback immediately yes but if not they could still give negative feedback.