• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I'm not religious but let's see your religious comics anyway!

47 posts in this topic

2rcn093.jpg.

1zv3g9s.jpg

2uj1fnc.jpg

Bouight these raw on ebay.Also have the box they came in plus a second set in about 9.0 that came in a folder.There is also a variant printing that is a little different.I only have one issue of that and it is in a lower grade and I don't have it scanned,much less know where it is.

2rcn093.jpg.

1zv3g9s.jpg

2uj1fnc.jpg

Bouight these raw on ebay.Also have the box they came in plus a second set in about 9.0 that came in a folder.There is also a variant printing that is a little different.I only have one issue of that and it is in a lower grade and I don't have it scanned,much less know where it is.

...those are gorgeous..... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I am not sure this books fits in, but I think it is pretty cool so I hope you don't mind me putting it in this thread.

ve7xqv.jpg[/img]

Jimbo, I am glad you are "a friend of Jesus".

I am even more thankful that Jesus is a friend of mine.

I regret to say that He is a far better friend to me than I have been to Him.

I am not sure this books fits in, but I think it is pretty cool so I hope you don't mind me putting it in this thread.

ve7xqv.jpg[/img]

Jimbo, I am glad you are "a friend of Jesus".

I am even more thankful that Jesus is a friend of mine.

I regret to say that He is a far better friend to me than I have been to Him.

.... I can SO relate to that...... I often introduce myself as the World's Worst Christian..... I like to look at myself as a work in progress..... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

The book fits in, and so do you, friend. All roads lead to the boards - welcome and keep posting!

2rcn093.jpg.

1zv3g9s.jpg

2uj1fnc.jpg

These are so beautiful.

The book fits in, and so do you, friend. All roads lead to the boards - welcome and keep posting!

Thank you for the kind words and for welcoming me in. I believe this board has a lot of good people. I am thankful to have found it.

I wasn’t particularly impressed by the artwork for "The life of Christ" feature in the early Topix, but – oh boy – I would love to find nicer copies… Mine are hole-punched and some have bad PQ… :(

Most of these are from 1944-46.

I am also missing a few issues and of course the entire early year runs if someone has them!

ZgS1vRwh.jpg

GlwyXnHh.jpg

2gWr24Ah.jpg

23TI706h.jpg

DVsktLvh.jpg

AQULgFyh.jpg

And since Hudson started with the anti-communist stories, this one is historically specific, Card. Mindszenty is definitely a figure I’d like to know better.

q8NOZHDh.jpg

Once very well known, but when I type in "Mindszenty," Safari doesn't recognize the name.

Here's the Wiki for him: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J%C3%B3zsef_Mindszenty

His case resurfaced recently b/c Assange's (of WikiLeaks) situation is very similar to Mindszenty's as they were both "trapped" inside an embassy in foreign soil (U.S. embassy in Hungary) and could not leave their grounds. Mindszenty stayed there for 15 years ...Assange has been in the Ecuadorian London embassy going on 4 years.

And since Hudson started with the anti-communist stories, this one is historically specific, Card. Mindszenty is definitely a figure I’d like to know better.

q8NOZHDh.jpg

Love the stamp on that book. That is one of the more convoluted of the Catechetical Guild books. Most are just propaganda, but that one has a condensed story that's a bit hard to follow.

Love the stamp on that book. That is one of the more convoluted of the Catechetical Guild books. Most are just propaganda, but that one has a condensed story that's a bit hard to follow.

Yes, the Cathechetical Guild books on communism seem to reflect more the general "hysteria" of the period, but I noticed immediately that this one was different. And it has also great artwork. I have yet to read it, as I am focused on 1937-1946 for my research on the italian comics.

I have other comics with specific religious content, but none scanned, including a few episodes of the beautifully drawn "The Road of Courage" by Frank Hampson on the original Eagle magazines, and various italian stuff.

Actually, all my whole field of collecting from 1937-1946 is focused on a single catholic italian publisher which was the first to produce an entire comics publication done by italian authors (i.e. not translating foreign material of any kind), it‘s been a landmark title, lasted up to 1996 and the contents are the most varied.

His case resurfaced recently b/c Assange's (of WikiLeaks) situation is very similar to Mindszenty's as they were both "trapped" inside an embassy in foreign soil (U.S. embassy in Hungary) and could not leave their grounds. Mindszenty stayed there for 15 years ...Assange has been in the Ecuadorian London embassy going on 4 years.

Not to get political ... but their reasons for having to remain in an embassy were not too comparable.

This was a great idea for a thread. Thanks for those that posted. :applause:

Not to get political ... but their reasons for having to remain in an embassy were not too comparable.

Didn't imply the reasons are similar but the situation nonetheless reflect a similar conundrum :)

Didn't imply the reasons are similar but the situation nonetheless reflect a similar conundrum :)

Yep. That's true.