• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

$84K for an FF 52?!?

538 posts in this topic

the curator 9.8 is a beautiful book no doubt but that is a way overpriced book

20k is more accurate and realistic on this book

watch the buyer try to resell in 5 years and take a bath when he gets $30k @ the most

remember a few years back circa 2012-13 when all these uber high grade copies of ff 5, 12 and avengers 4 started coming out of the woodwork and were getting SILLY prices, now they can be bought for 1/3 to 1/2 of those prices

When DrDB is the voice of fiscal sobriety, you know that the end is nigh! :eek:

It seems obvious to me that we are living in a pretty big bubble right now

When she pops , it's gonna get ugly

When DrDB is the voice of fiscal sobriety, you know that the end is nigh! :eek:

It seems obvious to me that we are living in a pretty big bubble right now

When she pops , it's gonna get ugly

Bingo and if you say you didn't see it coming then shame on you.

WTF??? Did I really just see that FF 52 in 9.8 sell for $84K? Is this some bizzaro world we are living in? I think I just quit the hobby :facepalm:

With that money i'd rather buy me some af15

I'd buy an AF 15, pay off the CC, make some home improvements, and get a new car!

Rudd snagged his 9.6 off of an eBay BIN for $ 750...... the bargain of a lifetime even then.... it was a few years prior to the sale you're referencing.....I don't think there were any 9.8's then. GOD BLESS...

I also don't think there were any 9.8s back when I bought that in June 2002. Just found out about the jump the book has taken yesterday...I should've guessed it, I suppose, due to Civil War. I imagine I should sell this, but nothing in me feels inclined to do so. (shrug) If anything, it just makes me feel like taking it out of the bank for a while.

ff52.jpg

Bubble, bubble toil and trouble;

Fire burn and caldron bubble.

Fillet of a fenny snake,

In the caldron boil and bake;

Eye of newt and toe of frog,

Wool of bat and tongue of dog,

Adder's fork and blind-worm's sting,

Lizard's leg and howlet's wing,

For a charm of powerful trouble,

Like a hell-broth boil and bubble.

Cool it with a baboon's blood,

Then the charm is firm and good.

Fillet of a fenny snake,

In the caldron boil and bake;

Eye of newt and toe of frog,

Wool of bat and tongue of dog,

Adder's fork and blind-worm's sting,

Lizard's leg and howlet's wing,

For a charm of powerful trouble,

Like a hell-broth boil and bubble.

Cool it with a baboon's blood,

Then the charm is firm and good.

Ever the ray of sunshine. :ohnoez:

But yea, it's a bubble...just not one that makes me feel troubled.

Rudd snagged his 9.6 off of an eBay BIN for $ 750...... the bargain of a lifetime even then.... it was a few years prior to the sale you're referencing.....I don't think there were any 9.8's then. GOD BLESS...

I also don't think there were any 9.8s back when I bought that in June 2002. Just found out about the jump the book has taken yesterday...I should've guessed it, I suppose, due to Civil War. I imagine I should sell this, but nothing in me feels inclined to do so. (shrug) If anything, it just makes me feel like taking it out of the bank for a while.

ff52.jpg

Yeah, that was quite the buy. It's a great looking copy. Ever thought about going for a resub? Is there a chance at an upgrade? Would be expensive to resub, but if it has a shot, might be worth it.

Yeah, that was quite the buy. It's a great looking copy. Ever thought about going for a resub? Is there a chance at an upgrade? Would be expensive to resub, but if it has a shot, might be worth it.

Maybe...I was just wondering that. I don't remember any defects not visible in the scan, but I need to look at it again. All I remember were one or two tiny spine nicks about 1/64" in length that are also visible in the scan--one is to the left of Torch's waist--which are also defects minor enough that I've also seen them on CGC 9.8 books.

Maybe...I was just wondering that. I don't remember any defects not visible in the scan, but I need to look at it again. All I remember were one or two tiny spine nicks about 1/64" in length that are also visible in the scan--one is to the left of Torch's waist--which are also defects minor enough that I've also seen them on CGC 9.8 books.

I'd look into that. If you luck out and get a 9.8, sell it and buy a new 9.6 and pocket the rest.

ff52.jpg

It looks just as good as the 9.8s for all practical purposes, but for that very reason it could just as easily come back as a 9.4. There's no meaningful difference in appearance among most comics at these grades. The big difference is the number on the label. Despite this some people will pay an extreme differential for a higher digit after the decimal.

(shrug)

I'd look into that. If you luck out and get a 9.8, sell it and buy a new 9.6 and pocket the rest.

Maybe...I guess I've got plenty of time between now and the late 2017 release of the Black Panther film.

It looks just as good as the 9.8s for all practical purposes, but for that very reason it could just as easily come back as a 9.4. There's no meaningful difference in appearance among most comics at these grades. The big difference is the number on the label.

That's not my experience--I can usually account for the defects on a CGC 9.4 vs a 9.6 vs a 9.8. Not always, but usually. The book has been in the bank for about seven years so I don't have immediate access to check, but I vividly recalling that based upon what's visible that it's a 9.6 minimum based upon all the other 9.6 and 9.8 books I own.

It looks just as good as the 9.8s for all practical purposes, but for that very reason it could just as easily come back as a 9.4. There's no meaningful difference in appearance among most comics at these grades. The big difference is the number on the label.

That's not my experience--I can usually account for the defects on a 9.4 vs a 9.6 vs a 9.8. Not always, but usually.

Do you then buy into the grading philosophy of simply tallying up defects and deducting from 10.0? Do you not take eye appeal into consideration?

???

That's not my experience--I can usually account for the defects on a 9.4 vs a 9.6 vs a 9.8. Not always, but usually.

Do you then buy into the grading philosophy of simply tallying up defects and deducting from 10.0? Do you not take eye appeal into consideration?

???

No and yes, but without going off on too far a tangent, I reject the implication that CGC does either of those. They just don't deduct as much for eye appeal issues as you and many others would prefer.