• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC 4.5 restored now PXG 8.0 Brave & Bold # 25

21 posts in this topic

This book used to belong to a friend as a CGC 4.5 restored with some minor color touch. I believe there were some large creases going from top to the bottom of the book( just visible near the middle digit of the green claw/in between the pistol fire) along with general wear.

bravebold25-45_zpshx5t5tso.jpg

This is interesting, currently on eBay, not only is this now a restored PGX 8.0, but judging from the images, it looks like nearly 1/2 inch from the top and with an additional 1/2 inch at the bottom was trimmed away from the book. That copy must be tiny now.

suicidesquade_zpsknglitrr.jpg

suicidedtail_zpsnkdl2izq.jpg

Is there any money at all in taking a cgc book out and putting it in pgx? It never seems like the grade bump makes up for the selling price between the two.

Though in this case, that's a significant jump.

(Just to be clear, I'm not asking because it seems like a good idea. I'm just shocked it could even

be profitable)

Is there any money at all in taking a cgc book out and putting it in pgx? It never seems like the grade bump makes up for the selling price between the two.

(Just to be clear, I'm not asking because it seems like a good idea. I'm just shocked it could even

be profitable)

I suspect the price would almost be a wash. I think the newly PXG version is worth a little more than the CGC on the open market, but from my observations CGC usually carries a 15% to 20% price bump over like graded slabs.

be profitable)

you would be surprised at how many people still believe in, or are ignorant of, PGX.

be profitable)

I suspect the price would almost be a wash. I think the newly PXG version is worth a little more than the CGC on the open market, but from my observations CGC usually carries a 15% to 20% price bump over like graded slabs.

I think the price would be much less. Trimmed books usually get slaughtered. A trimmed PGX book would get double slaughtered.

Maybe they was hoping that PGX would miss the trimming and colour touch, given their apparent bad reputation when it comes to restoration detection.

I guess it's kudos to them for not missing the colour touch and the trimming then, especially since they didn't have before and after scans to compare like us. (thumbs u

Maybe they was hoping that PGX would miss the trimming and colour touch, given their apparent bad reputation when it comes to restoration detection.

I guess it's kudos to them for not missing the colour touch and the trimming then, especially since they didn't have before and after scans to compare like us. (thumbs u

Well, they caught it, and the CT as well. It would be interesting to see what CGG would call this book, now that there is less of it.

I still do not understand why they consider it restoration and not a serious defect... if there is a stain on the corner, and I cut the corner off, it will be hammered as a low grade. But if there is a stain along the edge and I trim the edge off, it is a high grade restored... weirdo.

Hard to see from the original picture, but did trimming the top and bottom really improve the book that much? I don't see a lot going on there.

It looks like it got rid of soft corners. But the front cover looks great in the before picture - maybe there was some back cover stuff that also was pressed out.