• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Celebrate Dell'Otto!
15 15

4,993 posts in this topic

38 minutes ago, Obi-Wan said:

I think it's funny that they added "200 to be damaged" to paint a picture of it being even rarer than it actually is.

Like that's total speculation. Am I the only one that laughs to myself when I see an advertisement with all the extra sazamafraz of a used car salesman lol

I dont know if its easy to guess the number, but its a fair assumption that many of them will be damaged (non-9.6+). I assume thats what damaged means. Im not seeing the big problem here. I dont get the argument on this one.

I do understand the problem when retailers advertise a print run and then going back to print after advertising a specific number. But, in this case, they said the print run and I am assuming they are abiding by that. Have they given any indication that they aren't? If anyone has a problem with the print run, then don't buy it. Other than the sets, the virgin seemed to sell out, so I don't think the print run really was the issue with this book at least. I think 1000 or less for this popular of a book is fine.

1 hour ago, ygogolak said:

How many of the 3,000 did DC buy for this giveaway? They probably didn't just ask the printer to print extras of all the variants and send them to them.

IMG_5835.PNG

I know sometimes they aren't super honest with which books they are giving away in these ads either. Not sure about this one. But, maybe they are giving that book away with it. I do wonder if they give away a VF+ copy though. Thinking that those people who enter don't care about NM+ quality?

48 minutes ago, SquareChaos said:

Which is why, considering the numbers are - if we're being serious - likely more important than the image... the shops (not picking on anyone in particular here) should really try harder to make this system less opaque. 

I like that BP tries to get Dell'Otto to number many of the SS that they sell. I'm glad that he might be doing it here. Im very happy with the DNM1 that I got from them where he did it. Ill be very happy if they do it here as well. Ive been a happy customer of theirs.

Edited by kevhtx
dont know if its all actually

5 minutes ago, kevhtx said:

I dont know if its easy to guess the number, but its a fair assumption that many of them will be damaged (non-9.6+). I assume thats what damaged means. Im not seeing the big problem here. I dont get the argument on this one.

I do understand the problem when retailers advertise a print run and then going back to print after advertising a specific number. But, in this case, they said the print run and I am assuming they are abiding by that. Have they given any indication that they aren't? If anyone has a problem with the print run, then don't buy it. Other than the sets, the virgin seemed to sell out, so I don't think the print run really was the issue with this book at least. I think 1000 or less for this popular of a book is fine.

No argument. I shop at Bulletproof brick and mortar. I don't buy overpriced store variants but that's just me. Just thought the assumption of -200 from the print was funny. 

Nothing more nothing less.

2 minutes ago, Obi-Wan said:

No argument. I shop at Bulletproof brick and mortar. I don't buy overpriced store variants but that's just me. Just thought the assumption of -200 from the print was funny. 

Nothing more nothing less.

It wasn't Bulletproofs first rodeo ordering that many comics. From what I understand and have seen in videos that's not uncommon with Diamond wether it's one book or you shop shipment of mixed comics for the week.

6 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

It wasn't Bulletproofs first rodeo ordering that many comics. From what I understand and have seen in videos that's not uncommon with Diamond wether it's one book or you shop shipment of mixed comics for the week.

Ok now i don't doubt that but it can be 50 damaged...100 damaged...2 damaged. 

I don't care how many it's just to say there is 800 available because 200 of the 1000 print run is expected to be damaged? Before you even receive the books? It made me laugh.

Honestly I chuckled because that just really adds to how many are actually "floating in the market" or stashed in some bodies collection.

It is stated as a plausable scenario that can make higher grade rarer but to me it makes me question the numbers.

And this is just how my brain works because I wouldn't buy one for 40.00 or even 25.00 for that matter.

To me they are second market books that are printed after the original print runs and have no appeal except "print run"

Print run only concerns me when it comes to keys and that print run I'm talking about is the original print.

Anyway...some of these are very attractive books with great art. If that's your thing.

2 hours ago, Obi-Wan said:

I don't care how many it's just to say there is 800 available because 200 of the 1000 print run is expected to be damaged? Before you even receive the books? It made me laugh.

Honestly I chuckled because that just really adds to how many are actually "floating in the market" or stashed in some bodies collection.

It is stated as a plausable scenario that can make higher grade rarer but to me it makes me question the numbers.

I don't see how this scenario would make higher grade rarer. If anything that would have the opposite effect, since the damaged books would not be put up for sale.

3 hours ago, .mike said:

I don't see how this scenario would make higher grade rarer. If anything that would have the opposite effect, since the damaged books would not be put up for sale.

The damaged books were sold at cons.

6 hours ago, Obi-Wan said:

And this is just how my brain works because I wouldn't buy one for 40.00 or even 25.00 for that matter.

To me they are second market books that are printed after the original print runs and have no appeal except "print run"

Print run only concerns me when it comes to keys and that print run I'm talking about is the original print.

Anyway...some of these are very attractive books with great art. If that's your thing.

Print run doesn't matter in any scenario. Supply and demand is all that matters.

How do you know they are printed after the direct issues?

Edited by ygogolak

14 hours ago, Polirer said:

One more post of info, out of respect for Jay, Kev, Max, and Pete.

we’re 98% certain that Metal 5 cgc 9.8 ss virgins will be NUMBERED BY HAND by Dell’Otto in addition to being signed.

Thank you! 

I too appreciate the information you provide. Got my copy!

12 hours ago, .mike said:

Who says the books weren't sold?? lol

See this is what I'm talking about....I'm done.

Your right. Happy now? Hope so because I do not go back and forth about what we both know is bull dung.

9 hours ago, ygogolak said:

The damaged books were sold at cons.

Print run doesn't matter in any scenario. Supply and demand is all that matters.

How do you know they are printed after the direct issues?

Print run always matter to "buyers" that are buying based on the "rarity" and lower print run...

Are we on the same page? Ummmmm nope

I'm astonished that people are failing to realize that "investors" and "collectors" are buying these because they are rarer than "regular editions" therefor perceived as rarer and more collectable. 

I swear man. It's like pulling teeth to have to be so litteral and over explain a simple concept. 

I'm a buyer...I know lol

I think people just like to argue and use semantics to sound smart.

Edited by Obi-Wan

8 minutes ago, Obi-Wan said:

Print run always matter to "buyers" that are buying based on the "rarity" and lower print run...

Are we on the same page? Ummmmm nope

"They" are buying them based on a couple of factors. "Rarity" is relative. I can go on eBay right now and buy a lot of books that are more "rare" than any store variant. They are not worth anything because there is no demand. And thus there is adequate supply. This is an application to comic books, but is the basis for the world economy.

9 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

"They" are buying them based on a couple of factors. "Rarity" is relative. I can go on eBay right now and buy a lot of books that are more "rare" than any store variant. They are not worth anything because there is no demand. And thus there is adequate supply. This is an application to comic books, but is the basis for the world economy.

Ok so that does make sense.  I will give you that.

Venom...Harley...Metal...

Big sellers and popular character are always in "higher demand " that's elementary. 

Lower print store variants are bought mainly because of "perceived rarity" compared to 50,000 or 70,000 of a regular print run of the same book.

Yes we like the art and blah blah blah....

Bottom line is the numbers and that's why we constantly question and argue numbers..

Right? Oh you don't have to answer...proof is in all this hub-bub over numbers.

Again why I personally to not buy them.

39 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Rarity has always been relative - which is why it is key for this business model to sustain itself that the potential market of buyers think they're purchasing rarity. It's circular, and doesn't stand up to scrutiny, but it is the center pole that holds this market up.

1 hour ago, SquareChaos said:

Rarity has always been relative - which is why it is key for this business model to sustain itself that the potential market of buyers think they're purchasing rarity. It's circular, and doesn't stand up to scrutiny, but it is the center pole that holds this market up.

Well said and this is my favorite work. I think it was drawn by Gibbins.http://art.cafimg.com/images/Category_2834/subcat_4582/Coverfinalpaint-low.jpg