• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Venom Movie
3 3

1,187 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, bane said:
8 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Great movie to compare it to is Suicide Squad.  I thought both of them exceeded expectations and were a ton of fun.  Definetely not a great movie but it was funny, good action scenes and I left feeling content about the movie.  

Comparing this movie to Suicide Squad will keep me away from seeing this at the cinema, I thought SS was a complete turd.

I thought the same thing, although I'm going to see Venom today.  All the Suicide Squad comparisons suddenly have me nervous again.  :ohnoez:  I so wanted Suicide Squad to be good, too.

All I need for Venom to be good is great action and cool symbiote effects, so I'm expecting to love it.  But a huge part of me has been hoping the box office tanked to inspire Sony to give this to Marvel so the next iteration is much better.  The movie doing this well may extend Sony's curation of Spider-Man longer than I'd prefer.  :fear:

Edited by fantastic_four

20 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

To put that into more perspective Ant-Man and Wasp was about 161 million opening world wide. A Sony movie beat a Marvel movie at the box office for a opening start.  So Sony's gamble paid off at the box office and this will most likely greenlight Morbius and a few more super hero movies by them. Definately would expect Venom 2 with Carnage now.

21 minutes ago, Murphman13 said:

Well I can certainly see why the critics hated it and the fans liked it. It was fun but very little substance. 

Nobody is winning an award for this flick but it had the fans clapping when it was all said and done.  The venom voice was really funny and the action scenes were pretty intense.  My wife didn't like how sweaty he was the entire movie but being a sweaty guy myself I felt for him.

2 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

To put that into more perspective Ant-Man and Wasp was about 161 million opening world wide. A Sony movie beat a Marvel movie at the box office for a opening start.  So Sony's gamble paid off at the box office and this will most likely greenlight Morbius and a few more super hero movies by them. Definately would expect Venom 2 with Carnage now.

The movie was better than good.  I loved it (and I'm not a big spidey guy).  That being said, I may appologize for comic related media simply because I champion comic books, but I thought it was enjoyable and had a really cool vibe.  The internal monologue between Eddie and the symbiote was the best part of the film.  I'm one of those people who believes you can't trust the opinions of professional movie critics to the extent that they are professionals at being critical.  Some of you should remember a slew of films that were villanized by the critics who later changed their tune because of audience reception (Pulp Fiction being my favorite example because it's one of my favorite films).  I think it's absurd for people to complain that the movie lacked depth - it's Venom not Citizen Kane.  The movie is a win for Sony and a win for people who love comics.  

What is going to be really interesting for me is what happens to the AMC Venom variants.  I have no idea what the print run is on those books, but I'm confident that the vast majority of them are going to have butter stains at a minimum and that very few of the comic collectors in attendance brought a bag and a board to the movie.  I said it when I first heard about them - I can already see the Tom Hardy SS in my personal collection.  lol  They seem to be selling around $10 a pop on eBay (as I shopped I saw one guy who had sold 30 copies).  I really wonder what the listed books look like.  Where they giving them out at NYCC this weekend?  I am looking forward to seeing what the census says about high grade copies because even with the proliferation of modern pressing practices, I doubt that many of them still exist.  I am really looking forward to the announcement of the sequel and like yourself confident that Morbius is next!!   Time to sub my ASM 101.   :idea: 

2 minutes ago, Nico Esq said:

The movie was better than good.  I loved it (and I'm not a big spidey guy).  That being said, I may appologize for comic related media simply because I champion comic books, but I thought it was enjoyable and had a really cool vibe.  The internal monologue between Eddie and the symbiote was the best part of the film.  I'm one of those people who believes you can't trust the opinions of professional movie critics to the extent that they are professionals at being critical.  Some of you should remember a slew of films that were villanized by the critics who later changed their tune because of audience reception (Pulp Fiction being my favorite example because it's one of my favorite films).  I think it's absurd for people to complain that the movie lacked depth - it's Venom not Citizen Kane.  The movie is a win for Sony and a win for people who love comics.  

What is going to be really interesting for me is what happens to the AMC Venom variants.  I have no idea what the print run is on those books, but I'm confident that the vast majority of them are going to have butter stains at a minimum and that very few of the comic collectors in attendance brought a bag and a board to the movie.  I said it when I first heard about them - I can already see the Tom Hardy SS in my personal collection.  lol  They seem to be selling around $10 a pop on eBay (as I shopped I saw one guy who had sold 30 copies).  I really wonder what the listed books look like.  Where they giving them out at NYCC this weekend?  I am looking forward to seeing what the census says about high grade copies because even with the proliferation of modern pressing practices, I doubt that many of them still exist.  I am really looking forward to the announcement of the sequel and like yourself confident that Morbius is next!!   Time to sub my ASM 101.   :idea: 

That is funny - I flipped thru it while waiting for the movie but didn't even think to keep the comic in good shape since I thought there would be millions floating around.  People buying copies for $10 seems kind of crazy but I guess you are right that my copies are banged up already so there are probably very few nice copies.

Wow, have I forgotten a post or is it now-unanimous praise in the thread so far for Venom?  :whatthe:  Given that he's my favorite Spidey villain by far and I'm heavily biased towards him, now I'm really looking forward to it.  :banana:

Edited by fantastic_four

Audience scores are looking good through the weekend. Looks like it's worth seeing. Expectations still very low. Tom Hardy is always a good watch and draw (again, a great casting can do a lot for a potentially poor movie). I'll probably see it next Monday.

Can I ask for no spoilers in this thread? I'd like to gauge everyone's "score" without some potential surprises being ruined.

1 hour ago, 1Cool said:

That is funny - I flipped thru it while waiting for the movie but didn't even think to keep the comic in good shape since I thought there would be millions floating around.  People buying copies for $10 seems kind of crazy but I guess you are right that my copies are banged up already so there are probably very few nice copies.

I didn't bring a bag and board with me and probably have butter on my copy :frustrated:, but I have a line on a stack of them so we'll see ... it's going to be interesting to see where this goes.  The guy who had sold thirty copies last night was closing in on 70 this morning.  I checked after my post. (shrug)

16 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Audience scores are looking good through the weekend. Looks like it's worth seeing. Expectations still very low. Tom Hardy is always a good watch and draw (again, a great casting can do a lot for a potentially poor movie). I'll probably see it next Monday.

Can I ask for no spoilers in this thread? I'd like to gauge everyone's "score" without some potential surprises being ruined.

I'd give it a B- or 82 score

24 minutes ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

Why is everybody so hard up on ASM 101 now?  That book should have been subbed long ago (even without the movie announcement):sumo:.  That's a key Spider-Man book.

Unlike the first appearance of Black Cat:sick:...lol

Honestly, I'm nervous about the chipping and how it will effect the grade and apparently too big of a chicken to know the answer. :tonofbricks:

IMG_9815.jpg

7 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

One thing with this Venom movie is it put CinemaScore on the map and made it a player. Rotten Tomatoes will now have some legitimate competition. CinemaScore seems to be what the mainstream likes and not what the critics like on Rotten Tomatoes.

Going forward I will keep eye an on CinemaScore.

The media has been quoting Cinemascore for a while.  No individual movie is going to put RT in the grave or Cinemascore on the map.  Frankly, I still believe Metacritic to be the most "accurate" grading system since it actually takes an average of scores.

2 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

Wow, have I forgotten a post or is it now-unanimous praise in the thread so far for Venom?  :whatthe:  Given that he's my favorite Spidey villain by far and I'm heavily biased towards him, now I'm really looking forward to it.  :banana:

I never got why people were so determined to predict failure/dump on this so much??? Does rotten tomatoes & the critics carry that much weight? Oh my God all these doom & gloom predictions were nauseating! Where are all these Venom haters now?

Still wish this was MCU but this is why it's important to keep an open mind about things

@MGsimba77

There was a rumor that Lady Ga Ga fans were spreading fake news about Venom so Lady Ga Ga`s Star is Born would win at the box office. :whatthe:

Lady Gaga Fans Spreading Fake Reviews About Venom Movie To Help ‘A Star Is Born’

https://www.screengeek.net/2018/10/02/venom-movie-fake-reviews-lady-gaga-fans/

The Venom movie is finally in theaters this week, and it’s already off to a very interesting start. Early reactions for the film have been mixed, and now it’s been discovered that fans of Lady Gaga have been posting fake reviews in an effort to get people to see A Star Is Born this weekend instead.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

9 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

I never got why people were so determined to predict failure/dump on this so much??? Does rotten tomatoes & the critics carry that much weight? Oh my God all these doom & gloom predictions were nauseating! Where are all these Venom haters now?

Still wish this was MCU but this is why it's important to keep an open mind about things

Anyone who wants to see it fail (outside of misguided Lady Gaga fans) likely just want to see the property under Marvel Studios control again based on their opinion of the trailers.  (At least, that's my position).  Had the trailers looked promising, I'd be all for it, but the trailers looked abysmal.  Don't get me wrong, I love Venom (the character, have yet to see the movie), and I love Tom Hardy.  But I have little faith in Sony's vision for the franchise/shared universe based on the slate of movies they wish to release.  Compare that against Logan which had great trailers from the get-go.  I don't think many people were rooting against it pre and post-release.  Which leads me to believe the hate for Venom isn't predicated on people wanting it under Marvel's control, but more about it just sincerely having a trailer.

I view it like a sports team.  I love the Chicago Bulls, but I don't think the team has the pieces or coaching staff to be meaningful so long as they're around.  Am I wrong to wish the team would go 10-72 just so ownership will finally fire Hoiberg?  And so we can position ourselves for the best chance at a 1st pick in the lottery?  Sometimes, you love something so much you realize that, like a phoenix, in order for it to rise to something greater, it first needs to burn to ash.

1 hour ago, ExNihilo said:

The media has been quoting Cinemascore for a while.  No individual movie is going to put RT in the grave or Cinemascore on the map.  Frankly, I still believe Metacritic to be the most "accurate" grading system since it actually takes an average of scores.

Rotten Tomatoes does that too, it's just not the main score they show.  Right under the "tomatometer" score it shows "Average Rating" and that's the equivalent to the Metacritic score, only instead of showing it on a scale of 1 to 100 it shows it on a scale of 1 to 10 with a single decimal place being used.  Metacritic has the average at 36 right now and Rotten Tomatoes has their average at 4.6/10 right now.

Just now, fantastic_four said:

Rotten Tomatoes does that too, it's just not the main score they show.  Right under the "tomatometer" score it shows "Average Rating" and that's the equivalent to the Metacritic score, only instead of showing it on a scale of 1 to 100 it shows it on a scale of 1 to 10 with a single decimal place being used.  Metacritic has the average at 36 right now and Rotten Tomatoes has their average at 4.6/10 right now.

Yeah, unfortunately, the 4.6 isn't the score the media outlets run with when referencing RT.