• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Venom Movie
3 3

1,187 posts in this topic

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 2:08 PM, Broke as a Joke said:

Watched this last night and it was awful.  I guess we should expect a sequel but unless it's rated R and not unintentilly a comedy I don't see much hope.

I didn't have high or low expectations for Venom but I finally got around to watching it with my wife.  I really wanted to like it and kept trying to find evidence after I watched it that I did like it, but I just couldn't get into any of the characters and the movie almost made fun of itself constantly.  Hardy, as Brock, was great; sometimes too much of a dopey boob but none-the-less he was a bright light.  All ancillary characters were underdeveloped and/or their backstory was skipped over.  It was an exciting movie but I found myself rolling my eyes with the dialogue; the Venom voice and the comments while attached to Brock were borderline childish, lame even.

Overall, to me, I'd only ever watch it again if it's a rainy Sunday and I'm nodding off while it's going on in the background.

Finally watched this, and know what? I enjoyed it. It was fun. Special effects were good as well.

So basically the reason why I didn't watch this right away was because of the ratiing on Rotten Tomatoes. This shows once again Rotten Tomatoes is not the be all for reviews.

Going forward Rotten Tomatoes will not be a factor with me deciding what movies to watch.

I think a lot of people are starting to think this now about Rotten Tomatoes.

8 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Finally watched this, and know what? I enjoyed it. It was fun. Special effects were good as well.

So basically the reason why I didn't watch this right away was because of the ratiing on Rotten Tomatoes. This shows once again Rotten Tomatoes is not the be all for reviews.

Going forward Rotten Tomatoes will not be a factor with me deciding what movies to watch.

^^

6 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Maybe "insane" was the wrong word.

You're blind. lol

The CGI was not good, man!

I loved it. I kept saying to myself how it reminded me of a video game and how much it would be cool if they made a Venom video game based on this movie.

Also I like how Venom was not connected to Spider-Man. They made it cool. Kudos for Hardy for making me care about this Venom movie to want a sequel.

7 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I think the bloom is off the rose for Rotten Tomatoes. People for years thought it was the gold standard like Box Office Mojo is for box office news. I don't think anyone will take RT seriously anymore going forward.

Why?  It's the same today as it was twenty years ago.  You're complaining about Rotten Tomatoes, but they don't actually do ratings, they compile them from nationally-renowned reviewers, so what you're actually complaining about are the nation's top critics.

15 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Why?  It's the same today as it was twenty years ago.  You're complaining about Rotten Tomatoes, but they don't actually do ratings, they compile them from nationally-renowned reviewers, so what you're actually complaining about are the nation's top critics.

I think because I saw the 29% rating on Venom that it made me hesitate to watch it. Yeah, I know it`s a aggregator,but I bet a lot of people don't know this, plus add to it the controversy of the trolls and over 40,000 reviews getting deleted for Captain Marvel we will find RT has kind of been exposed as no longer the gold standard.

I know going forward I will never ever take Rotten Tomatoes serious as the gold standard again.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

49 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I really liked Venom. So did my wife, which surprised me as she only knew of the character due to Spider-Man 3. But with a solid actor like Tom Hardy, he can make most anything that good.

I've watched it three times now (once in the theater). With that wildly scary voice, Tom Hardy's 'The Drop' character performance, and the soundtrack this film locked me in as wanting more.

RT is broken.

8 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I really liked Venom. So did my wife, which surprised me as she only knew of the character due to Spider-Man 3. But with a solid actor like Tom Hardy, he can make most anything that good.

I've watched it three times now (once in the theater). With that wildly scary voice, Tom Hardy's 'The Drop' character performance, and the soundtrack this film locked me in as wanting more.

RT is broken.

That Venom voice was so cool.  I also loved the part when Hardy goes into the lobster tank. I really loved this movie. This is going to become a cult classic.

The ending alone with the rocketship made me want to know more about the symbiotes and their world. I see a huge Venom franchise going forward like Aliens with this.

Venom was my surprise hit and hidden gem of the year.

Just now, ComicConnoisseur said:

That Venom voice was so cool.  I also loved the part when Hardy goes into the lobster tank. I really loved this movie. This is going to become a cult classic.

The ending alone with the rocketship made me want to know more about the symbiotes and their world. I see a huge Venom franchise going forward like Aliens with this.

Venom was my surprise hit and hidden gem of the year.

Yup, you're certified insane, now.

18 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

add to it the controversy of the trolls and over 40,000 reviews getting deleted for Captain Marvel we will find RT has kind of been exposed as no longer the gold standard.

Audience reviews are corruptable regardless of site.  EVERY web site is subject to it, and they all fall victim to it.  Why you'd single out Rotten Tomatoes for using audience reviews at all when IMDB and Metacritic also get their share of audience review trolling is puzzling.  ???  Really what you should take from that is to not trust audience reviews at all, anywhere, because they're all subject to directed trolling attacks.

1 minute ago, fantastic_four said:

Audience reviews are corruptable regardless of site.  EVERY web site is subject to it, and they all fall victim to it.  Why you'd single out Rotten Tomatoes for using audience reviews at all when IMDB and Metacritic also get their share of audience review trolling is puzzling.  ???  Really what you should take from that is to not trust audience reviews at all, anywhere, because they're all subject to directed trolling attacks.

RT is useful for some movies, though.

Take Fant4stic, for example. The movie sucks. Thank you, RT.