• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Venom Movie
3 3

1,187 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, FlyingDonut said:

I agree with everything bad said about Michelinie's original depiction of Eddie Brock and giving all the credit for Venom's popularity to McFarlane's hugely expressive artistic style.  Brock's character is just one of the dumbest villains ever created for Spider-Man.  I can't even believe he ever graduated middle school much less got a job writing at the Daily Bugle.  The symbiote was a cool idea, and McFarlane dialed the idea up to 11.  Anything cool about Eddie Brock himself was added by later writers, not Michelinie's scripts in Spidey 298 to 300.  I certainly like the revised version of him as an anti-hero than Venom as a pure villain, at least according to the way he was originally written.

Edited by fantastic_four

9 minutes ago, KEY ISSUES Comics said:

Are you talking about the Raimi Spider-Man movies with Tobey Maguire or The Amazing Spider-Man movies with Andrew Garfield? I for one could not stomach the latter series.

My comment references both series. The first movie with Andrew Garfield is really good.

35 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

My comment references both series. The first movie with Andrew Garfield is really good.

So you liked ASM and you think BvS:UE is a top 10 movie.  I think it's safe to say that your views wildly differ from the majority of the moviegoing population and that's fine.  Each person has different interests and views things differently, but I think most people who comes along reading your opinions on this matter are gonna have to take it with a grain of salt.  (Unless they too thoroughly enjoyed BvS, in which case they'll value your opinions highly).

EDIT: when you say "Top 10", do you mean "Top 10 movie of all time"?  Or "Top 10 comic book/graphic novel/superhero movie of all time"?  Because I interpreted it as the former.

Edited by ExNihilo

It really is the suit.  The nature of the symbiote leads to infinite variety that invites the imagination to soar and makes it extremely similar to Green Lantern's power to form any object he can imagine.  Only with Venom the power comes from a real second organism who creates an interesting pairing with whoever the symbiote is hosted with.  With Spidey the symbiote mostly helped him do good, but with Brock it paired with his darker emotions.  Carnage is another symbiote who bonded with a homicidal maniac which leads the suit to carry out far darker constructs than we typically see with Venom.

I really loved Venom's depiction in Capcom's video games and how the character pops out with his signature "We are Venom!" line.  The bizarre construct shown below during one of his win poses is my favorite from the 1990s Marvel vs. Capcom game.

a11.gif

Edited by fantastic_four

10 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

So you liked ASM and you think BvS:UE is a top 10 movie.  I think it's safe to say that your views wildly differ from the majority of the moviegoing population and that's fine.  Each person has different interests and views things differently, but I think most people who comes along reading your opinions on this matter are gonna have to take it with a grain of salt.  (Unless they too thoroughly enjoyed BvS, in which case they'll value your opinions highly).

EDIT: when you say "Top 10", do you mean "Top 10 movie of all time"?  Or "Top 10 comic book/graphic novel/superhero movie of all time"?  Because I interpreted it as the former.

Yeah... The same thing can be said of every single person ever.

"Top-10" means one of my 10 favorite movies. It has nothing to do with "best movies" or "best comic book movies". If I could choose only 10 movies that I could watch for the rest of my life, Dawn of Justice UE makes the cut.

1 hour ago, Comicopolis said:

Yes it is. I could never understand why people liked Venom as a character - this explains it.

Really?  I always thought Venom, Wolverine and Punisher were the coolest characters in the early 90s.  Venom at his core is a muscle head who gets "possessed" by a super human suit and has a moral battle between his own demons and the demons in the suit.  I really didn't see how this wouldn't translate into a killer movie and I guess I'll have to wait until Sunday to see how it plays out.  I've thought from the get go that the dialog seemed weak and the acting just seemed so forced it didn't seem right.  They picked a quality actor so I hoped it was just the preview but the more I see of the reviews it just all seems off.

Edited by 1Cool

2 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Yeah... The same thing can be said of every single person ever.

This is true, but there is an average range/consensus on what the general population thinks of something (think a bell curve).  Admittedly, I have no idea what everyone's views are in this forum, but when it comes to reviews and aggregation sites (like RT), over time, you're able to determine whether your personal views align or depart with theirs.  And as such, you can put more credence in some reviewers and less in others.

2 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

This is true, but there is an average range/consensus on what the general population thinks of something (think a bell curve).  Admittedly, I have no idea what everyone's views are in this forum, but when it comes to reviews and aggregation sites (like RT), over time, you're able to determine whether your personal views align or depart with theirs.  And as such, you can put more credence in some reviewers and less in others.

There isn't an available "consensus" opinion for the Dawn of Justice UE since Warner Bros chose to interfere late in the game and require a theatrical cut less than 150 mins.

My personal experience is that most people think it's close to a perfect movie outside of the "Martha resolution". There aren't storyboard problems or misunderstands regarding character motivations.

With an RT Audience score of 63% for the theatrical cut, I can't fathom the Director's Cut receiving less than an 85% if it was the version initially released to the public.

If people enjoy dark and serious comic book films, as I do, then they will be interested in my opinions. If they don't, then they should disregard any opinions of the movie, because it is in fact dark and serious.

3 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

The way I know this, by the way, is because both Raimi and Tobey Maguire openly said all of this to the press back after the release of Spider-Man 3 and while they were negotiating with him on a fourth film.  Raimi said he'd only do 4 if they gave him complete control back, and after it was clear they wouldn't he bolted.  Maguire separately said he agreed with Raimi's perspective and didn't want to be involved if Raimi wasn't given back the reigns.

Let me repeat--Sony did this to themselves by forcing Raimi out.  Nolan really didn't want to work forever in the superhero genre so there wasn't much Warner Brothers could do to keep him, but Raimi loves this stuff and really wanted to keep doing it.  Sony just wouldn't let him.  I'm still as bitter today about it was as I was a decade ago.  :mad: :mad: :mad:

+1 

I'm gutted that Venom was shoe horned into SM3 and gutted that we never got to see a Raimi led SM4,  possibly with a Goblin / MJ death story. They had their flaws, but the Raimi films had the spirit and mood of Spidey 100% nailed and, in the case of certain characters - JJJ and Otto two example - definitive portrayals. Who else could be Jonah now? 

I hate it when non creatives muck up what creatives - and in this case, successful creatives - are trying to create :mad:

The Garfield films had some great aspects - notably the chemistry between Peter and Gwen and Spidey's banter - but the music, villains, action scenes, stories.....not so good.

9 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

There isn't an available "consensus" opinion for the Dawn of Justice UE since Warner Bros chose to interfere late in the game and require a theatrical cut less than 150 mins.

My personal experience is that most people think it's close to a perfect movie outside of the "Martha resolution". There aren't storyboard problems or misunderstands regarding character motivations.

With an RT Audience score of 63% for the theatrical cut, I can't fathom the Director's Cut receiving less than an 85% if it was the version initially released to the public.

If people enjoy dark and serious comic book films, as I do, then they will be interested in my opinions. If they don't, then they should disregard any opinions of the movie, because it is in fact dark and serious.

I thought BvS was a moving, superbly crafted film with the single best score of any superhero film ever.  I will never understand people's hatred of it. 

2 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I Live! said:

in the case of certain characters - JJJ and Otto two example - definitive portrayals. Who else could be Jonah now? 

JJJ knows a thing or two because he's seen a thing or two.

Bum-ba-dum-bum, bum, bum, bum.

6 minutes ago, valiantman said:

JJJ knows a thing or two because he's seen a thing or two.

Bum-ba-dum-bum, bum, bum, bum.

I must have me stupid head on tonight valiantman as that post sailed right over it! Is it an American thing? I'm English remember :insane:

17 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I Live! said:

I hate it when non creatives muck up what creatives - and in this case, successful creatives - are trying to create :mad:

Exactly why Kevin Feige destroyed the Marvel Creative Committee after Disney bought Marvel Studios.

Exactly why Warner Bros should have never interfered with Zack Snyder's vision for DC Worlds and then canned him.

That's the difference in Producing and Directing, though. Feige took a position where he gets a lot of creative control, and elects to provide his Directors with creative freedom. Snyder had more control being both a Producer and Director, but he wasn't given the freedom by the studio and distributor because of this.

Imagine a property with Feige as Producer and Snyder as Director... :cloud9:

8 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Exactly why Kevin Feige destroyed the Marvel Creative Committee after Disney bought Marvel Studios.

Exactly why Warner Bros should have never interfered with Zack Snyder's vision for DC Worlds and then canned him.

That's the difference in Producing and Directing, though. Feige took a position where he gets a lot of creative control, and elects to provide his Directors with creative freedom. Snyder had more control being both a Producer and Director, but he wasn't given the freedom by the studio and distributor because of this.

Yep. I remember posting the line here once that there has been no decent thing in history that some plonker, or group of plonkers, didn't contrive to ruin. And you know the word I wanted to use instead of plonker don't you TwoPiece  (thumbsu 

5 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:
28 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I Live! said:

How is that at all similar?  The Marvel Creative Committee consisted of a group of the most successful creators of content at Marvel from the past few decades.

I'm still not sure how I feel about the failure of that group.  On the one hand, Kevin Feige didn't like it and has proven that he alone can guide these films to be of a consistently high quality.  On the other hand, if he leaves or dies then as far as anyone can tell from the outside Marvel is just as screwed as DC currently is.  I still think that committee can work given a different structure and is probably superior to relying on one man even if it is Saint Feige, hallowed be his name.  (worship)

What is crystal clear is that it really wasn't working as previously organized.  The Committee had a slew of wins, but also an almost-equally long list of losses.  Marvel lost a dozen or two stars, writers, and directors who clashed with the Committee members, and certainly that had to stop.

8 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

I don't know much about the behind the scenes stuff, but based on the body of work, I would actually argue the opposite has occurred.  It seems to me that MCU directors have LESS creative control than their DC counterparts.  You see this in how all MCU movies share a similar tone.  Heck, you see this with Disney and the carousel of directors that have come and gone for the various Star Wars projects simply because the powers that be at Disney disagreed with the product the directors were making.

I mean, look at the DC movies through the years.  Superman Returns was different than Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy which was different from Snyder's work which was different from Wonder Woman and Suicide Squad.

1 minute ago, ExNihilo said:

It seems to me that MCU directors have LESS creative control than their DC counterparts. 

No doubt, but they've got FAR more control than when Jon Favreau or Joss Whedon had to get all of their ideas past half a dozen or more guys on the Committee.  Even if the cooks were really, really highly qualified creators like Quesada, Bendis, Buckley, Fine, etc, it was clearly a case of too many cooks in the kitchen.  But that process cranked out two absolute gems in Iron Man and Avengers, so it wasn't the kind of train wrecks we see every other time out from Fox, Sony, and DC.