• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Persistent Ebayer wants to deal privately

1,072 posts in this topic

Or how about if you see a book listed on eBay and subsequently see the seller at a Con and say "I'll buy the book for $cashlessthanebay"...

Do the sellers say: "no! I'm not part of a ME society and you must purchase the book from eBay as I will not violate ebay's rules! :sumo: "

Seriously?

:bump:

Is this stealing? :popcorn:

You save a lot when shopping by stealing a few items. I mean that store makes tons of money. I saw the owner driving a really nice car. Plus they are the only store for miles. Pretty much have a monopoly forcing me to shop there.

:applause:

-slym

So... I saw a book on eBay for $5k which I was interested in. I contacted the seller... "Hey, would you mind selling the book off eBay for $4600? This way it saves me money and you are making more money than selling on eBay and being hit with the seller fees."

I'll take saving $400 on a book than feeling guilty that I have wronged eBay. Integrity or no integrity, I SAVED $400... $400!!!

If you're buying a comic for $4,600 even though you're in the kind of financial position where $400 is a significant sum to you, can it really be said that in any practical sense you "saved" money after shelling out $4,600? You could have "saved" a lot more money by waiting for a legit deal that you could afford at the asking price -- or by not buying at all.

So... I saw a book on eBay for $5k which I was interested in. I contacted the seller... "Hey, would you mind selling the book off eBay for $4600? This way it saves me money and you are making more money than selling on eBay and being hit with the seller fees."

I'll take saving $400 on a book than feeling guilty that I have wronged eBay. Integrity or no integrity, I SAVED $400... $400!!!

If you're buying a comic for $4,600 even though you're in the kind of financial position where $400 is a significant sum to you, can it really be said that in any practical sense you "saved" money after shelling out $4,600? You could have "saved" a lot more money by waiting for a legit deal that you could afford at the asking price -- or by not buying at all.

What if that book is a Grail book and the price is actually over GPA, but offering the $4600 puts it just under GPA... Found my deal, thanks! Now I have $400 out of my comic fund to buy more comics with!!!

The seller agrees to the following terms and conditions:

NOT ALLOWED:

Listing an item and then being paid outside of eBay.

Listing an item and then offering additional identical items for sale outside of eBay

Wait so an LCS with an Ebay store who lists the newest issue of Batman or TWD for sale on Ebay CAN'T also sell any copies of that same issue in their store!?????

:o

That's absurd.

Maybe no one has answered you because they all have you on block! :D

There are some people I only have on "mental ignore".

:blush:

-slym

Funny. There's some I have on "mental"

So...

I saw a book on eBay for $5k which I was interested in. I contacted the seller... "Hey, would you mind selling the book off eBay for $4600? This way it saves me money and you are making more money than selling on eBay and being hit with the seller fees."

So would you feel this is okay to do to someone you know as well? Cheat them out of a 10% finders fee?

What makes it different?

These arguments are terrible. :D

Not an argument just a question to you -

Lots of LCSs have Ebay stores as well. If I saw something on their Ebay store I wanted, the next time I stop in I could walk in and ask to see it in-hand.

At that point - am I an off-the-street face-to-face LCS customer of theirs or am I an Ebay customer still bound by Ebay policy agreements?

"It's so easy to laugh, it's so easy to hate... it takes strength to be gentle and kind..." - Morrissey.

Morrissey hates a lot of people.

Correction... Morrissey hates most everyone.

"It's so easy to laugh, it's so easy to hate... it takes strength to be gentle and kind..." - Morrissey.

Morrissey hates a lot of people.

Correction... Morrissey hates most everyone.

Sure.... he's not necessarily saying HE has the strength to be gentle and kind....

So...

I saw a book on eBay for $5k which I was interested in. I contacted the seller... "Hey, would you mind selling the book off eBay for $4600? This way it saves me money and you are making more money than selling on eBay and being hit with the seller fees."

So would you feel this is okay to do to someone you know as well? Cheat them out of a 10% finders fee?

What makes it different?

Or how about if you see a book listed on eBay and subsequently see the seller at a Con and say "I'll buy the book for $cashlessthanebay"...

Do the sellers say: "no! I'm not part of a ME society and you must purchase the book from eBay as I will not violate ebay's rules! :sumo: "

Seriously?

Is this scenario cheating a friend?

(shrug)

How much does the boardie who created GPA make? Is it okay to cheat him? Is he registered as a corporation? Does he get a pass because you may know him through here and someone on the boards may find out you cheated him?

How much success does he need to have, where he crosses a line and it's open season to financially bugger him?

What about Tupenny and his comic shows? Hasn't he gotten just a little too big for his britches with success? Shouldn't we just sneak in the backdoor on his shows? He makes enough money... Is that ok to cheat him?

Does the hard work and financial risk those two put into their business mean nothing to the saving YOU might make by cheating them? Isn't this really a much more black and white issue than some of you can see?

Where the frak is Steve Ditko when I need him?

And what about the people who HAVEN'T chimed in? Do we have that many closet criminals here... playing their hands close to their chest's... carefully peeking at each other's cards... looking for their moment...

treachery and politics indeed....

These arguments are terrible. :D

Not an argument just a question to you -

Lots of LCSs have Ebay stores as well. If I saw something on their Ebay store I wanted, the next time I stop in I could walk in and ask to see it in-hand.

At that point - am I an off-the-street face-to-face LCS customer of theirs or am I an Ebay customer still bound by Ebay policy agreements?

I meant the argument that if someone tried to save $400 out of $5,000, then they shouldn't be buying the book. That's a terrible argument and not relevant to the discussion.

If you saw the book first on eBay and knew it was a local seller and you walked into the local shop and told him "I saw the book on eBay, can I take a look at it?", do you think his response would be "sure, but if you want to purchase it, you need to buy it off eBay because that's where you saw it first and I won't steal from eBay."

:insane:

So...

What makes it different?

Seriously?

Is this scenario cheating a friend?

(shrug)

How many times does this have to be spelled out for you? You see a book at con it doesn't matter where else it's listed, you can make an offer on it.

It's not what's being discussed.