• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C2E2 + April 21-23 2017, It's Never Too Early or to late
4 4

207 posts in this topic

Couple more cosplay pictures.  These guys somehow got a full couch into the main portion of the center which is up 2 flights of steps.  Best Al and Peg Bundy I've seen by far.

Bundies.jpg

Edited by 1Cool

The deadpool was perfect.  His costume looked legit and he had the right body type and voice.  I kind of shook my head when he gave the kids guns but it definitely was something deadpool would do.  My wife got a picture with him and said she loved him and he said "I love me too".  He almost had me wondering if it was Ryan Reynolds in disguise. 

5 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Tight is better for the overall health of the hobby.

Unless it becomes too tight to the point of under grading which is also not good for the hobby. 

Personally, I believe that consistency and "right" is much better for the overall health of the hobby.  :gossip:

49 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Unless it becomes too tight to the point of under grading which is also not good for the hobby. 

I don't think it's too tight, not at all. I don't recall seeing any of the 'big boys' complaining here. The 'other company' made the mistake of grading too loose and the marketplace took notice. CGC has increased staff, so maybe the graders now have more time to inspect each book = less automatic 9.8's. The implication from some complainers is that CGC is not doing their job. I think they are doing their job better than ever. The hobby is in a great place right now. Embrace it and accept your 9.6 as a job well done.

13 hours ago, october said:

Leroy was not open on Thursday. 

Andy sorry it didn't work out as it's rare that I'm ready to sell anything on setup day. I like to focus on getting my booth ready and whenever the first person ask when I'll be ready to sell I give them a time usually the next morning and I stick to it 100% no matter who it is. This actually works out for a lot of pickers as they can prey on other dealers knowing I'm not selling to anyone.

I had Tom Nelson waiting at my booth at 8:45 patiently waiting until my 9 am pre show sales on Fri morning. Another dealer started going through my comic boxes and I told him I'd be open at 9 and he said it's only a $10 comic . I explained I had already told several others that I was going to open at 9 and I need to stick to it. He shoved the comic back in disgust and left. Me and Tom got a nice laugh from it.

It was nice to meet junkdrawer and 1Cool for the first time and I thank them for the purchases.

Friday was my best day for sales, Saturday crowds were insane and we were swamped 90% of the day. Sunday was kinda chill out time until load out which is very difficult. I had my helper get in line at 3:30 and at 6:45 he finally got on show floor.

Tax man said I need to sell a comic out of my collection so Saturday JLA 1 CGC 8.5 was sacrificed. :cry:   Not that GPA will report it but I was asking $18K and sold it for $17.5K.

I subbed 42 comics and was satisfied with most of the grades. 

Some of my CGC sales were

AF 15 CGC .5 incomplete (missing part of ad page), Bat 232 CGC 9.4, X-men 94 CGC 9.0, SS 4 CGC 9.4, Iron Man 55 CGC 9.4, Hulk 181 CGC 9.0, B&B 54 CGC 8.0, ASM 2 CGC 5.0, ASM 300 CGC 9.8, Marv Prem 15 CGC 9.0, Rifleman 10 CGC 8.5, DD 1 CGC 3.5, Flash 123 CGC 5.0, ASM 129 CGC 9.0

Edited by lhcomics

21 hours ago, Junkdrawer said:

And lastly I've commissioned Andrew Pepoy to create something for me. We discussed it a bit over emails and more so in person yesterday. I gave him a deposit and maybe next month or next year I will have my first commission. 

I have always been a big fan of Andrews variant cover of Afterlife with Archie #1 ( he had prints and signed one for me per gratis). My idea for the commission is not a cover recreation but rather a cover recreation through the eyes of Archie. The finished piece will be an oversized and fully colored POV image as Archie is seeing Betty. It's gonna be tilted to the adult version, yet tasteful and classy. The image when completed should almost look like an unused cover and be a perfect compliment to the original. Similar in detail, style and color. We'll be seeing her from Archie's view point.

IMG_3624.JPG

Just wanted to say very nice pickups, you have great taste sir (worship) @Junkdrawer

2 hours ago, lhcomics said:

Andy sorry it didn't work out as it's rare that I'm ready to sell anything on setup day. I like to focus on getting my booth ready and whenever the first person ask when I'll be ready to sell I give them a time usually the next morning and I stick to it 100% no matter who it is. This actually works out for a lot of pickers as they can prey on other dealers knowing I'm not selling to anyone.

I had Tom Nelson waiting at my booth at 8:45 patiently waiting until my 9 am pre show sales on Fri morning. Another dealer started going through my comic boxes and I told him I'd be open at 9 and he said it's only a $10 comic . I explained I had already told several others that I was going to open at 9 and I need to stick to it. He shoved the comic back in disgust and left. Me and Tom got a nice laugh from it.

It was nice to meet junkdrawer and 1Cool for the first time and I thank them for the purchases.

Friday was my best day for sales, Saturday crowds were insane and we were swamped 90% of the day. Sunday was kinda chill out time until load out which is very difficult. I had my helper get in line at 3:30 and at 6:45 he finally got on show floor.

Tax man said I need to sell a comic out of my collection so Saturday JLA 1 CGC 8.5 was sacrificed. :cry:   Not that GPA will report it but I was asking $18K and sold it for $17.5K.

Some of the CGC were

AF 15 CGC .5 incomplete (missing part of ad page), Bat 232 CGC 9.4, X-men 94 CGC 9.0, SS 4 CGC 9.4, Iron Man 55 CGC 9.4, Hulk 181 CGC 9.0, B&B 54 CGC 8.0, ASM 2 CGC 5.0, ASM 300 CGC 9.8, Marv Prem 15 CGC 9.0, Rifleman 10 CGC 8.5, DD 1 CGC 3.5, Flash 123 CGC 5.0, ASM 129 CGC 9.0

One of my favourite lines ever was when Leroy and I couldn't get a deal done as Leroy looked at me and said "I'm just having too good a show, you need to hit me when sales are a little slower".  It's a classic and one I will never forget.

Jim

12 hours ago, lhcomics said:

Andy sorry it didn't work out as it's rare that I'm ready to sell anything on setup day.

It's ok. Like my parents used to say, "I am not mad, just disappointed". :bigsmile:

14 hours ago, lhcomics said:

I was happy to give this book a Forever Home. (thumbsu

23 hours ago, Real Frantic One said:

I went for all three days this year and had a great time! Submitted two books for onsite grading and was pleased with the results. Be back with a more detailed report and pics later.

946121896_o.jpg

946121916_o.jpg

That X-Men #1 sketch cover is just killer!

17 hours ago, lhcomics said:

Thanks for the great report Leroy. Nice to the dealers market show reports. I like your style on set up time. As a dealer, I don't usually open to anyone until the show opens. Nothing worse as a paying attendee knowing all the other dealers picked the place clean before you get in. I might lose a few sales early, but I find that the dealers show up when I'm open. I'd patiently wait for you to open at 9:00. I know you'd have stuff I want!

Here are some more pics from C2E2:

Batman and Boba Fett sketches commissioned for my convention sketchbook:

batmansketch.jpg

bobafettsketch.jpg

A few pages of John Buscema original art:

buscemaavengers.jpg

buscemaconan.jpg

buscemaconansplash.jpg

A pic of the line waiting for admission to the floor on Friday:

c2e2line.jpg

Dave Dorman prints. I also commissioned a Yoda sketch from him that I'll post later.

davedormanprints1.jpg

Life-size Lego Wonder Woman:

legowonderwoman.jpg

Pic of me with Rob Liefeld getting my New Mutants #98 and a few other things signed:

liefeldpic.jpg

An unpublished Wrightson Frankenstein page!

wrightsonfrankenstein.jpg

Edited by Real Frantic One

18 hours ago, Real Frantic One said:

Here are some more pics from C2E2:

Batman and Boba Fett sketches commissioned for my convention sketchbook:

batmansketch.jpg

bobafettsketch.jpg

A few pages of John Buscema original art:

Spoiler

buscemaavengers.jpg

Spoiler

buscemaconan.jpg

Spoiler

buscemaconansplash.jpg

A pic of the line waiting for admission to the floor on Friday:

Spoiler

c2e2line.jpg

Dave Dorman prints. I also commissioned a Yoda sketch from him that I'll post later.

Spoiler

davedormanprints1.jpg

Life-size Lego Wonder Woman:

Spoiler

legowonderwoman.jpg

Pic of me with Rob Liefeld getting my New Mutants #98 and a few other things signed:

Spoiler

liefeldpic.jpg

An unpublished Wrightson Frankenstein page!

wrightsonfrankenstein.jpg

Great commissions Patrick! That Wrightson page looks incredible, was it for sale? I can see the edges of more OA that I'll never afford, was there a price on the Two-Fisted annual 2?

42 minutes ago, Chadwick said:

Great commissions Patrick! That Wrightson page looks incredible, was it for sale? I can see the edges of more OA that I'll never afford, was there a price on the Two-Fisted annual 2?

All of the art was for sale, but the prices were not visible and I didn't get to ask about any of it. I could probably recall the name of the dealer by reviewing the floor map.

I was really pleased with how well the commissions turned out, and they were only $20 each. Well worth it!

31 minutes ago, Real Frantic One said:

All of the art was for sale, but the prices were not visible and I didn't get to ask about any of it. I could probably recall the name of the dealer by reviewing the floor map.

I was really pleased with how well the commissions turned out, and they were only $20 each. Well worth it!

Absolutely, great price!