• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C2E2 + April 21-23 2017, It's Never Too Early or to late
4 4

207 posts in this topic

Based on the couple people getting back onsite graded books was CGC is still tight as hell. One guy got back some nice high grade copper books but it didn't look like there was too many happy people this afternoon from what I was seeing.

1 hour ago, 1Cool said:

This is the first big Con where my wife came with me so we did some cosplay as Jack and Sally from Nightmare Before Christmas so we became one of those aisle cloggers.  I did grab a nice mid grade X-Men 25 and a really nice high grade Walock 15 (love that Starlin cover) from Leroy.  I was busy having pictures taken but I did take a couple pics

Awesome. I met you. I told your wife that I loved the dog prop. 

IMG_5808.JPG

The show's been great! I got to meet and chat with Red84. He was able to land one of his grails, a Planet 48 without any egregious miscut. Well done, Red84! Around closing time, I also shared a tipple with Mr. Bedrock.

I scoured the hall for a pre-1943 Fox book. To the best of my knowledge, there was only one book. Precisely, this one:

Mystery_Men_6_300_5w_9q.thumb.jpg.d1a0ef1fffa801da8fe74fdf7bdd198a.jpg

Only 30 MMs to go!  :banana:

(Sorry for the wonky angle in this photo; tried to avoid the glare.  And sorry for the lame photo resolution; my Photobucket-to-Forum copy/paste is totally failing.:frustrated: ) 

Will post more later...

19 minutes ago, Zolnerowich said:

The show's been great! I got to meet and chat with Red84. He was able to land one of his grails, a Planet 48 without any egregious miscut. Well done, Red84! Around closing time, I also shared a tipple with Mr. Bedrock.

I scoured the hall for a pre-1943 Fox book. To the best of my knowledge, there was only one book. Precisely, this one:

(Sorry for the wonky angle in this photo; tried to avoid the glare.  And sorry for the lame photo resolution; my Photobucket-to-Forum copy/paste is totally failing.:frustrated: ) 

Will post more later...

Great meeting you too and congrats on the Mystery Men.  It must have been less than an hour after my rant about Planet 48 miscuts that I found a nice copy over at Bedrock.

Edited by Red84

6 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Based on the couple people getting back onsite graded books was CGC is still tight as hell. One guy got back some nice high grade copper books but it didn't look like there was too many happy people this afternoon from what I was seeing.

So far the first 2 books I submitted came back on or above what I was hoping for, but they were mid grade golden age.

8 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:

Will post more later...

you found the needle in the haystack at that show !!!!! how fun !!

I had fun this year...parking was pretty simple except for the darn road construction that held everything up. :pullhair:

The floor was PACKED, I wouldn't doubt they broke records in ticket sales. 

Pretty happy with the books I found. I was itching for some PCH but didn't see any classics I could drop all my $ on. Like CoC 19, SSS 6 (I did see a nice 7.0 that was out of my range) ToT 15 etc. Dale Roberts had a lot of misc but none I could pull the trigger on. 

Weird Tales of the Future 5 is high on my list. I happened to walk by a booth where a dealer had a raw copy on a stack of books and I overheard he was in negotiations to buy it. Saw a $900 tag on it...if it would have been for sale I'd have tried to negotiate. Can't remember the booth. Such a great book. 

Lots of great books and dealers. Did see some prices that were way off IMO. Cosplayers didn't seem to be in the way. lol 

5 hours ago, punksdropdirtysrh said:

I had fun this year...parking was pretty simple except for the darn road construction that held everything up. :pullhair:

The floor was PACKED, I wouldn't doubt they broke records in ticket sales. 

Pretty happy with the books I found. I was itching for some PCH but didn't see any classics I could drop all my $ on. Like CoC 19, SSS 6 (I did see a nice 7.0 that was out of my range) ToT 15 etc. Dale Roberts had a lot of misc but none I could pull the trigger on. 

Weird Tales of the Future 5 is high on my list. I happened to walk by a booth where a dealer had a raw copy on a stack of books and I overheard he was in negotiations to buy it. Saw a $900 tag on it...if it would have been for sale I'd have tried to negotiate. Can't remember the booth. Such a great book. 

Lots of great books and dealers. Did see some prices that were way off IMO. Cosplayers didn't seem to be in the way. lol 

I brought $1,200 hoping to find a dealer who had some discount boxes ripe for the picking like I saw in Baltimore and Heroes a couple years ago.  Sadly I was only able to spend $250 and was turned down on my couple discounts buys over the weekend.  I know dealers are not in the market to give me deals but when a offer of $100 cash for a GD/VG Conan 1 and Avengers 9 that was marked at $120 gets turned down (glad he did since $100 was probably more then I should have offered based on e-bay sales) it doesn't bode well.  As most bigger entertainment Cons I found the wall books to be crazy priced and the amount of quality $5 blow out books to be in short supply.  It's an early Con so I'm sure people where holding tight and I know how much booths are.  Definitely a huge Con with a ton of crowds and vendors but it definitely will not be a Con i return to as a buyer.

Picked up my books from CGC and was happy with the grades on my Brick Bradford and Planet. I apparently keep undergrading as I predicted a 3.5 for the Brick and a 4.0 for the Planet  

shout out to @Dale Roberts for hooking me up with the Brick Bradford. 

Also had a great conversation with @bedrockcomics about the history of the Is This Tomorrow publication. Always happy to learn about comic book history. 

Finally picked up a random romance book for $20. Not something I normally buy but the cover really drew me in. 

IMG_5825.JPG

IMG_5826.JPG

IMG_5827.PNG

20 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

I would have thought with improved turn around times that on site submissions would be down. 

What I heard on Saturday was the cut off for on-site submissions was much later then typical.  Definitely a LOT later then what I experience at Baltimore last year where it filled up quick (an hour or so).  Not sure but I'd think numbers of books subbed (especially by dealers) would have to be way down if they were accepting books later.

My guess would be a big increase in SS activity since the artist alley was crazy busy to the point you couldn't move at all.  Rare for that to happen at the whole artist alley section based on previous big Cons.

Edited by 1Cool