• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MAN OF STEEL appreciation thread
2 2

398 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

It's your opinion. You are definitely entitled to it.

But you are also wrong. And that is just the facts. :foryou:

Just like Man of Steel as the best Superman movie is an opinion but definitely not a fact. 

I'll say Man of Steel is an okay movie full of missteps like Clark Kent uncharacteristically ruining a trucker's entire livelihood just for being a jerk or Pa Kent committing suicide to prove a point, but Superman the Movie is the only truly great Superman movie.

20 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Superman the Movie is the only truly great Superman movie.

Nope. :gossip: 

They should have used an attractive Lois Lane (or maybe a less attractive Miss Teschmacher, because that just wasn't fair to Margot Kidder). :whistle:

lol

Edited by valiantman

22 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Just like Man of Steel as the best Superman movie is an opinion but definitely not a fact. 

I'll say Man of Steel is an okay movie full of missteps like Clark Kent uncharacteristically ruining a trucker's entire livelihood just for being a jerk or Pa Kent committing suicide to prove a point, but Superman the Movie is the only truly great Superman movie.

I think Man of Steel is a great Super and Clark Kent film. Just like I think Superman: The Movie is also a really good Superman and Clark Kent film.

But with the former, we got a massive super-threat that tested the full capabilities of Kal-El like no other live film before. Even stronger than Superman II (The Donner Cut is fantastic, but limited due to the capabilities of that time).

Faora. Nam-Ek. Zod. All three gave Kal-El the test he needed to understand early on how far he may need to go in order to defeat such enemies. And that his loyalty to Earth was on full display.

On 8/26/2019 at 3:08 PM, @therealsilvermane said:
On 8/26/2019 at 3:01 PM, Bosco685 said:

It's your opinion. You are definitely entitled to it.

But you are also wrong. And that is just the facts. :foryou:

The world is big enough for more than one interpretation of Superman, especially after all these years. Donner's Superman is a classic but so is MoS for many. Michael Shannon is just amazing in this movie.

Edited by Mr Sneeze

I saw all of these in the theater and left thinking this is the reason I go to the big screen.

Superman, Superman II and Man of Steel.

Watching the first Reeve Superman as a boy was an incredible experience and the nostalgia and love for it is strong. I was wide eyed and my jaw dropped when he caught the helicopter.

I can’t watch that scene today though and get the same feeling back but it definitely returned with Man of Steel. Not perfect but any movie can be nit-picked. I was completely good with the controversial finale because I didn’t want my grandfathers Superman. It was time for mine. And while I did not really enjoy any of the Batman/Superman/JL movies that followed, MoS delivered in spades for me.

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

I think Man of Steel is a great Super and Clark Kent film. Just like I think Superman: The Movie is also a really good Superman and Clark Kent film.

But with the former, we got a massive super-threat that tested the full capabilities of Kal-El like no other live film before. Even stronger than Superman II (The Donner Cut is fantastic, but limited due to the capabilities of that time).

Faora. Nam-Ek. Zod. All three gave Kal-El the test he needed to understand early on how far he may need to go in order to defeat such enemies. And that his loyalty to Earth was on full display.

Yes, Man of Steel was action packed and full of modern special effects but it just devolved into muscle vs muscle at the end of the movie with the brains coming from the ghost of Superman's dad, Jor El (wut?). In the end, Superman wins by beating Zod to death. Wow.

As a side note, I also wasn't sure by the end of MoS whose side Kal El was on. He said he was on our side, but he was so mopey and dual-minded in his thinking that I wasn't quite sure if he really was.

I've always appreciated Superman's less muscle-brawned more brainy(or magical) opponents more as those were the ways to truly beat him ie Brainiac, Lex Luthor of course, Mr Mxyzpltk, the Dark Knight, etc. Richard Donner's Superman the Movie gave us the classic example of brain vs brawn, and more important, selfishness vs selflessness. Such a simple idea executed beautifully and with a lot of humor that worked. Superman the Movie was and still is the perfect comic book movie.

With that, I'll exit this thread because Man of Steel is a movie I cannot appreciate.

4 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

As a side note, I also wasn't sure by the end of MoS whose side Kal El was on. He said he was on our side, but he was so mopey and dual-minded in his thinking that I wasn't quite sure if he really was.

I think you went to a different Man of Steel.

'I can't be a part of this!'

Yes, Man of Steel was action packed and full of modern special effects but it just devolved into muscle vs muscle at the end of the movie with the brains coming from the ghost of Superman's dad, Jor El (wut?). In the end, Superman wins by beating Zod to death. Wow.

You may have missed in Smallville even then Clark was educated not only by Jonathan Kent, but also the AI version of Jor-El. So that is not new. And in Man of Steel both fathers contribute to his education and values.

With that, I'll exit this thread because Man of Steel is a movie I cannot appreciate.

Glad you shared once again your thoughts on DC films in these appreciation threads. :|

On 8/26/2019 at 10:28 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

In the end, Superman wins by beating Zod to death

You say it like it's a bad thing? In the real world, which I think this film was using as its setting, the true hero is often the one that does what needs to be done, despite the cost to themselves. See also Batman in BvS. 

Anyway, it was either that or the pane of space glass.

2 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

You say it like it's a bad thing? In the real world, which I think this film was using as it's setting, the true hero is often the one that does what needs to be done, despite the cost to themselves. See also Batman in BvS. 

Anyway, it was either that or the pane of space glass.

I was hoping Clark and Zod would settle their differences peacefully. 

MEN'S HEALTH: Henry Cavill Is Still Superman

OF ALL THE Men of Steel on display at House of Secrets—a comic-book store in Burbank with red-and-blue renditions of Superman dotting the ceiling, the walls, and even the floor—none are as striking, or as symbolically fraught, as the one staring down at Henry Cavill. The actor is standing under a glowering, arms-folded miniature sculpture of Supes on a bookshelf, right next to a similarly intimidating bust of Batman. The two crime fighters battled it out in 2016’s aggressively hyped Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, one of three films for which Cavill donned Superman’s cape. It grossed $873 million worldwide and is the biggest box-office hit of Cavill’s career.

It’s also one of the most castigated superhero blockbusters of all time—a film to be debated on Reddit forums and convention floors for years, or at least until the next Batman/Superman team-up. When Cavill looks up and notices the troubled big-screen rivals standing near each other, he pauses, a muted smile flickering across his face. “Oh, well,” he declares wryly before moving on down the aisle. It’s an early-fall afternoon, and the 36-year-old Cavill has dropped by House of Secrets to pick up some reading material for the flight home to London. It’s his first visit to the beloved store, which might be the most Superman-centric location in the entire Los Angeles area. The offices of DC Comics are a quick drive from here, as are the headquarters of Warner Bros., the studio responsible for Cavill’s Krypton triptych: Man of Steel (2013), Batman v Superman, and Justice League (2017). This is the last place you’d expect to find him milling about, only because it’s almost too obvious a hideaway.

There have been numerous reports—some from rumor-ravaged fan sites, but others from credible industry publications—that Cavill’s time as Superman is finished. You can sense the question forming in customers’ heads as they watch him ring up his purchases and exit House of Secrets: Wait, is that dude . . . STILL Superman? Cavill’s stayed silent about such gossip for a long time, to his occasional frustration. He fought for years, facing down countless rejections and close calls, to land a part as cosmically iconic as Superman. It’s a role, and a character, he guards fiercely—and insists he hasn’t let go. “The cape is in the closet,” Cavill says. “It’s still mine.”